Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you have a reccie before the move??

Did you have a reccie before the move??

Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future
Default Re: Did you have a reccie before the move??

Hi

We did more of a validation than a recci, already had visa when we went, and knew with commitments we would need to validate.

Took in a couple of States when we were over just to make our final disission.

It is hard to know what to do, doing a recci gives great info, but it isn't really like living a full life.

Really glad we did recci as we now know where we are going and what it all looks like, other wise WHAT A SHOCK it could have been

Storms.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by storms
Hi

We did more of a validation than a recci, already had visa when we went, and knew with commitments we would need to validate.

Took in a couple of States when we were over just to make our final disission.

It is hard to know what to do, doing a recci gives great info, but it isn't really like living a full life.

Really glad we did recci as we now know where we are going and what it all looks like, other wise WHAT A SHOCK it could have been

Storms.

I think a recci is a great idea if you are unsure of where you want to go, i.e no family or job ties in Oz. It is a vast country and each area is so different and offers very different lifestyles. I reaslise that a few day trip to each area will not give a true insight to what it is like to live there however I do believe you can get an overall feel for an area within a couple of days which will help you gauge which area would best suit what you would like. Our recci was very helpful, I had been over several times whilst younger but my hubby had not been at all (neither had my children). We all went over and discussed the pros and cons of each are and together decided where we chose to live. I must admit though Melbourne has always felt like home to me, hubby liked Brisbane but also loved Melbourne and so did the kids so Melbourne won for us. It is nice to know what to expect getting off the plane.

I do think people who have never been build up a picture of Oz that is built around story books and this can be unsettling if when you land nothing matches the false picture you build up in your mind!

I would go with a recci if you can afford it, or a great validation trip interviewing for jobs if possible and looking for areas to live.

Cheryl
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kez81
I thought it would be intresting to a see how many of us did/didn't have a reccie before moving here, and how we are getting on now-

I didnt do a reccie, been here 21mths not loving the life yet miss home alot but going to give it another 1/2 years.

kezx
initially thought of saving cash, but common sense prevailed, better to see it for real and be sure.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
I thought it would be intresting to a see how many of us did/didn't have a reccie before moving here, and how we are getting on now-

I didnt do a reccie, been here 21mths not loving the life yet miss home alot but going to give it another 1/2 years.

kezx
We did a reccie, my OH insisted and I'm glad we did. Isn't like it appears to be on TV
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:54 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

We did visa validation visit a couple of months before emigrating. We weren't going to but our house was still going through the selling process and we had to validate. We landed in Melbourne and I was so upset. It just wasn't what I expected at all. I had huge doubts but felt we'd come too far to back out. Hubby convinced me it would be ok.

We moved permanently and although the city eventually grew on me (it is a lovely city), I never settled but this was probably more to do with our daughter going back to UK and wages for hubby being very poor.

If I'd done a reckie though before putting the house up for sale I would never have gone there in a million years.

We are back in UK now and loving it
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no reccie for us.

Been here 10 months and don't regret a minute of it.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:54 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't do a reccie, never been to Aus before either ... been here a year and love it
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Couldn't afford holidays when living in the UK so certainly couldn't afford one in Australia.

A reccie is no more than a glorified holiday.

Might as well go blind to an area you've researched and if it turns out it doesn't satisfy then move within Aus. Cheaper option.

IMO of course.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:10 am
Wishing for summer!

Oaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant futureOaks has a brilliant future

We lived in sydney for 6 months and my husband worked there for 6 months.

I hated it for the entire 6 months unti we got back to the UK and realied I hated it here even more.

Glad I know what we are getting into and what to expect when we get off the plane this time.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try somewhere else ?
Sydney is Sydney.
Other places are not.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Regarding the hoons, graffiti etc, it really depends where you live - can't say we have had a problem with any of that and we've been here 3 yrs now.
Is a hoon the same as a yob in uk?[/QUOTE]

You get hoons wherever you go. In Noosa we get river hoons!!! Young lads with rich parents who don't buy them cars, ohhh nooo they buy them speed boats! They all get beer'd up, take a shite load of XXXX with them, and hoon it up and down the river. To make things worst they then come ashore while your trying to enjoy a nice family picnic and smoke some dope, swear, create havoc and piss in the sea in front of the kids.....ohhh yep some days certainly ain't paradise.

However on the other side of it, it only happens one day a week (avoid Saturdays), the police are lurking in the water, as are the surf rescue boats. I've never seen a group of 9 young lads suddenly go so quiet like butter wouldn't melt! Oh and if we really want to avoid it all, we go where the youngens can't get too, Double Island Point! An area where lots of families end up, enjoying the view and having some quiet time.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Is a hoon the same as a yob in uk?

You get hoons wherever you go. In Noosa we get river hoons!!! Young lads with rich parents who don't buy them cars, ohhh nooo they buy them speed boats! They all get beer'd up, take a shite load of XXXX with them, and hoon it up and down the river. To make things worst they then come ashore while your trying to enjoy a nice family picnic and smoke some dope, swear, create havoc and piss in the sea in front of the kids.....ohhh yep some days certainly ain't paradise.
Was that you? ...........................

Just kidding, I know what you mean though, the times we've nearly been cleaned up by a couple of hoons in Dad's boat while fishing down there

Back on topic before anyone whinges
Yes we came on a 6 week reccie, we didn't know it was going to be a reccie at the time though.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Was that you? ...........................

Just kidding, I know what you mean though, the times we've nearly been cleaned up by a couple of hoons in Dad's boat while fishing down there

Back on topic before anyone whinges
Yes we came on a 6 week reccie, we didn't know it was going to be a reccie at the time though.
you must have been the one with the 'poor flow' - stop start stop start! Time to get your prostate checked mate! (I'm slapping on those rubber gloves)
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:25 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
you must have been the one with the 'poor flow' - stop start stop start! Time to get your prostate checked mate! (I'm slapping on those rubber gloves)
I didn't mean that kind of reccie
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cresta57
I didn't mean that kind of reccie
enough of this sordid, dirty stuff (your fault mod)! Off to bed! Thinking that us oldies should hire one of those 'bbq pontoons' and hoon it down river too! (well chug it down the river at 4 knots). I think we could definately take the youngsters on (apart from the dope bit - married to a copper - not a good look).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.