Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you go to Australia before you moved there?

Did you go to Australia before you moved there?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

LondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant future
Default Did you go to Australia before you moved there?

Hi all,

I wondered how many people visited Australia for a holiday before they actually moved there?

We are very new to all of this and cant decide whether we should go for a holiday first or not. Mainly because we really really cant decide which area we would want to live in.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:18 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you go to Australia before you moved there?

Hi - We spent a month in Oz travelling up the East coast from Sydney to Cairns.
We are not going to any of the places we visited. We're headed for Melbourne although we've never been there. It just appeals to us as a place to live. There were places in Queensland that I thought were great to visit but I couldn't see myself living there.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hi there,
No we didn't go first before moving. We just researched constantly for months and months and then went with the place we thought we'd like best. Thankfully for us it's been the right decision so far, but we've only been here a month! We just didn't see the point in spending lots of money to come over for a holiday when we could use it for furniture or whatever when we moved. Yes it's scary and a little insane, but sometimes you just have to go with it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

price28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you go to Australia before you moved there?

I only ever visited Perth on Holiday because my dad and brothers live here so that is how i decided to move to this area.
Now i am here though i am not sure i will always be in Perth holidays give you a different perspective and its very different to living it i think.
If you have never been to Australia before what is it that attracts you as different areas have different qualities and different temperatures too.

I would go to the travel agent and get brochures on Oz, go to the library and watch programmes just try to research every part and use the internet, also what work you do because you can sometimes get a job before you get here too. Then if you can make a decision on where you think is ideal for you you could visit it first i would say though if you go to 1 part of Oz and its not for you it doesnt mean another part wouldnt be for you and it could mount up to a lot of holidays,
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

jenodp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hi there,
No we didn't go first before moving. We just researched constantly for months and months and then went with the place we thought we'd like best. Thankfully for us it's been the right decision so far, but we've only been here a month! We just didn't see the point in spending lots of money to come over for a holiday when we could use it for furniture or whatever when we moved. Yes it's scary and a little insane, but sometimes you just have to go with it.
Great to hear your reply about this. We are just at the very early stages on deciding to go to australia in 3 yrs time but are not sure at all where about to go. We did originally think of going on holiday first but we are worried that will see it in a different light than having to actually work there. We have to children who will be 10 and 7 when we move so any ideas guys.....
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

No we didnt go on holiday were emigrating in 6 months think were heading to adelaidexxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tony s
No we didnt go on holiday were emigrating in 6 months think were heading to adelaidexxxxxxxxxx
Hope that all goes well for you. Have you got jobs lined up then over there for you already?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:41 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, had been on holiday to QLD and also spent about 10 months in Australia on a WHV when I was younger. Although even with that knowledge of what Australia is like (eg that it isn't always sunny in Sydney so it's a good idea to pack some cardies) it didn't really prepare me for living full time over here on a permanent basis. But it didn't do any harm either!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Were just sorting that out im a youth worker and hubby works in the pop industry why are you waiting three yearsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tony s
Were just sorting that out im a youth worker and hubby works in the pop industry why are you waiting three yearsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Husband in the raf so need to finish his 22yrs service. But looking to go there with me working full time as I am a theatre nurse/technician. I am gathereing that it will take about 12 months to process visas etc anyway..just researching all the areas to live at the mo.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:06 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

We came out without ever visiting, our boys were 7 & 9 My mom died whilst we were starting the visa process and this put a whole different slant on things for me so didn't care what others thought and we were all happy to just go for it, researched everything like mad and timed everything to perfection. We are now in our 10th month here and so far everything has/is working out great.

Good luck
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:10 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

No we had never been, bit of a brave thing to do looking back on it now.
But at the time we no kids so there was not much risk and it would have been easy to move back if thats what we wanted.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

We're in the no brigade - mainly because of cost and time off work issues.

It's worked for us but we probably would have come out first if we had had the money.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Willij
We're in the no brigade - mainly because of cost and time off work issues.

It's worked for us but we probably would have come out first if we had had the money.
I had come out on a working holiday visa and lived in Melbourne and Sydney, then visited again in 2000 and spent 6 months travelling around Australia (ever State except Tassie!)....then made the move in Jan 2005!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:36 am

gedge has disabled reputation

we travelled all round Aus back in 97 and spent some time working in Sydney
the working holiday is a common route for many and gives a good opportunity to try before you buy so to speak
not sure if a holiday will give you the same exposure but if you can afford the time and money then it's certainly not going to be a wasted trip either
good luck