Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Diabetes Type 2, Insulin Dependent

Diabetes Type 2, Insulin Dependent

Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Diabetes Type 2, Insulin Dependent

Has anyone with Type 2 Diabetes, Insulin Dependent, recently had a medical. Did you pass? I am about to book my medical and feeling very nervous about it.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Diabetes Type 2, Insulin Dependent

Type 2 is controlled by tablets or diet.

Type 1 is Insulin Dep.

My son is Type 1 - passed but had to provide further tests and info.

If you enter diabetes into the search bar you'll find lots of info there.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Type 2 is controlled by tablets or diet.

Type 1 is Insulin Dep.

My son is Type 1 - passed but had to provide further tests and info.

If you enter diabetes into the search bar you'll find lots of info there.
Thanks for your reply. I am afraid Type 2 is also insulin dependent when diet and tablets are not enough. Lots of people who start off as Type 2, diet only, then progress to diet and tablets and then, unfortunately, to insulin.

I had already done a search on diabetes.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sapphire3
Thanks for your reply. I am afraid Type 2 is also insulin dependent when diet and tablets are not enough. Lots of people who start off as Type 2, diet only, then progress to diet and tablets and then, unfortunately, to insulin.

I had already done a search on diabetes.
Well I can tell you what they will ask for - but you've already seen that.
Does it not become type 1 when you have to progress to injections ?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Well I can tell you what they will ask for - but you've already seen that.
Does it not become type 1 when you have to progress to injections ?
Thanks, Phoenix. In my diabetes search I came across a post from you saying that your 19 yr old son had passed the meds OK, so congratulations!

No, Diabetes Type 2, insulin dependent, does not become Type 1. Mine was "mature onset", I think Type 1 normally occurs in younger people. I could go on, but won't!!

I searched back to 2006, that is why I am hoping someone with diabetes who recently had a medical will come on and tell me how they got on.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:18 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Phoenix. In my diabetes search I came across a post from you saying that your 19 yr old son had passed the meds OK, so congratulations!

No, Diabetes Type 2, insulin dependent, does not become Type 1. Mine was "mature onset", I think Type 1 normally occurs in younger people. I could go on, but won't!!

I searched back to 2006, that is why I am hoping someone with diabetes who recently had a medical will come on and tell me how they got on.
you are correct sapphire ..although there are younger people diagnosed with type 2 these days and also older people with type 1...who were initially incorrectly diagnosed with type 2 and quicly progressed to insulin..

good luck with your medicals
I think as long as you can take proof of being well controlled with no added complications kidney/ cholesterol raised BP raised etc (recent blood results) with maybe letters from opthalmologist stating - no retinopathy...you should be fine.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:59 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Has anyone with Type 2 Diabetes, Insulin Dependent, recently had a medical. Did you pass? I am about to book my medical and feeling very nervous about it.
I am Type 2 and insulin dependant (or was), had meds done in Hitchin and Dr Stanley said he wanted some more info from my diabetes nurse.
I had all her contact info with me so gave all that to him and he wrote her, she supplied him with my latest Hba1c results which I have to say were crap 10.6 because I had only been on insulin two months prior to this.
Soooo I waited a week and then phoned him and he said because of my high readings they (ozzie immigration) would def want more results and IF they passed me it would only be a "B" which is as you know six months to move not 12!!!!!.
Well the upshot was I did get passed without anymore info requested and was given a "A" too boot!.
Since arriving here I have lost abit of weight and no longer use insulin or tablets to control my D, I recently had a Hba1c and had a perfect 6.3,
Still D, but it dosent rule my life at all now.
It is,nt something to lose sleep over (which I probably did). Good Luck, you,ll be fine.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has Type 1 diabetes and passed her medical.

At the suggestion of the panel doctor I asked her consultant to prepare a report setting out a brief history and a commentary on the management and treatment of her condition. Her consultant did this without charge and we submitted the report with our medicals. No further information or tests were requested.

We were told that if the condition is well managed there is not usually a problem with the outcome of the medical.

Best of luck with your medical.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies and good wishes.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice

Hi,

I am type 2 tablet depentant. Got through medical at Handsworth Wood fine.

Dont worry about it

John
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

I am also type 2 tablet dependent and have joined up with a slimming club in hope to loose some weight before medical.

Mine also well controlled and eye test etc fine. Although must admit I have been concerned over this - hence the diet.....