Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Originally Posted by paulry

I can't wait to get there and see the place with my own eyes. My kids are getting excited about it as well.
We have the highest incomes in the country.

We have the lowest crime rates.

We have the lowest unemployment rates.

We have the best education (from Primary to University) in the country.

We have all four seasons, hot dry summer, cold winter, orange leaf autumns and fresh springs.

We don’t have that much traffic.

We are a small city with all the big city things.

We have a great nightlife.

Always something on, like festivals, events, exhibitions etc.

Only 3 hours from Sydney, only 2 hours from the coast and only 2 hours from the snow.

Can fly to most of Australia for weekend breaks (Gold Coast, Melbourne etc).

Very clean with friendly people.

So yea, not saying it’s the best, but it’s pretty good. I don’t like Australia, but for some reason I love Canberra.

Good luck to anyone coming, it’s a great place to live.

For more details on Canberra on things like jobs, school transport etc, you can look at the moving to Canberra website: www.liveincanberra.com.au
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh

We have all four seasons, hot dry summer, cold winter, orange leaf autumns and fresh springs.

Only 3 hours from Sydney, only 2 hours from the coast and only 2 hours from the snow.

So yea, not saying it’s the best, but it’s pretty good. I don’t like Australia, but for some reason I love Canberra.

For more details on Canberra on things like jobs, school transport etc, you can look at the moving to Canberra website: www.liveincanberra.com.au
To the above list you could add: healthiest population, longest life expectancy and (I think) youngest average age.

For some reason people from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne sneer at Canberra. This attitude is increasingly laughable as those cities become more congested and unliveable. I've lived in many countries (including Canada) and I think the standard of living here is second to none.

Barack Obama will be skipping Sydney and going straight to the city that really counts.

Oh, and the beaches (a scenic two hours away) are some of the best in the country.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:53 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh

Originally Posted by Budawang
To the above list you could add: healthiest population, longest life expectancy and (I think) youngest average age.

For some reason people from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne sneer at Canberra. This attitude is increasingly laughable as those cities become more congested and unliveable. I've lived in many countries (including Canada) and I think the standard of living here is second to none.

Barack Obama will be skipping Sydney and going straight to the city that really counts.

Oh, and the beaches (a scenic two hours away) are some of the best in the country.
Preaching, Converted

Just over two weeks to go until my family and I see it for ourselves

Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Preaching, Converted

Just over two weeks to go until my family and I see it for ourselves

Thanks
You'll be arriving at a good time of year. April typically has clear, sunny days - still fairly warm. Nights will be starting to be quite crisp and light frosts are possible. Remember to bring warm clothes as winter really is quite cold here. Don't be surprised to be scraping ice from your windscreen in the morning! Bon voyage.