Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

The Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant future
Smile Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Hiya

New to the forum and wanted to make some friends

We (Me, Hubby and 2 girls) have just lodged our 176 (ss ACT) visa with DIAC on 8th June, and once the long wait is over, heading to Canberra or one of the towns in the North of the ACT, not sure where yet. Any suggestions? Need a nice town with Primary schools near by.

Anyone else heading for ACT/just put a visa application in?

Sam

ACT SS application 23/03/09 - ACT SS Approved 05.06.09 - DIAC 176 lodged 08.06.09
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Originally Posted by The Booths
Hiya

New to the forum and wanted to make some friends

We (Me, Hubby and 2 girls) have just lodged our 176 (ss ACT) visa with DIAC on 8th June, and once the long wait is over, heading to Canberra or one of the towns in the North of the ACT, not sure where yet. Any suggestions? Need a nice town with Primary schools near by.

Anyone else heading for ACT/just put a visa application in?

Sam

ACT SS application 23/03/09 - ACT SS Approved 05.06.09 - DIAC 176 lodged 08.06.09

Hi Sam,

Firstly welcome to BE.

My family: my wife, sons (aged 11 and 14) and I are heading to ACT. Hoping to be there by early December. We've recently been asked for our meds and PCCs. PCCs have been applied for and meds are tomorrow. We've just put the house on the market. Hopefully things will move quickly from here

Good luck with your application

Paul
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Hi Sam,

Firstly welcome to BE.

My family: my wife, sons (aged 11 and 14) and I are heading to ACT. Hoping to be there by early December. We've recently been asked for our meds and PCCs. PCCs have been applied for and meds are tomorrow. We've just put the house on the market. Hopefully things will move quickly from here

Paul

Hi to you both,

We are a friendly lot here in Canberra - sadly I won't be here as we are moving further south. But there are loads of expats here who will help you settle right in.

Sas
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

"Canberra" doesnt have "towns" it's just one big suburban sprawl really. They call them the Woden Town Centre etc but they arent anything like towns you would be used to. It's basically about 50km from top to bottom of suburbs with green bits running through them.

People tend to live reasonably close to where they will be working although I, for one, would hate to be living in southern Tuggeranong and working in Civic - which of course many people do.

Most of the schools are OK and there is a very strong private system alongside the government system. The trick will be to find somewhere that you dont mind living in which is not going to be too hard to negotiate to get to work. Check out www.allhomes.com.au for the best real estate information.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
"Canberra" doesnt have "towns" it's just one big suburban sprawl really. They call them the Woden Town Centre etc but they arent anything like towns you would be used to. It's basically about 50km from top to bottom of suburbs with green bits running through them.

People tend to live reasonably close to where they will be working although I, for one, would hate to be living in southern Tuggeranong and working in Civic - which of course many people do.

Most of the schools are OK and there is a very strong private system alongside the government system. The trick will be to find somewhere that you dont mind living in which is not going to be too hard to negotiate to get to work. Check out www.allhomes.com.au for the best real estate information.
A useful link. Thanks.

There does appear to be a perception that the north is better than the south. Do you think this is indeed the case? And from an IT worker point of view which suburbs are most likely to be within striking distance of where most of the work is located?

Thanks.

Last edited by paulry; Jun 17th 2009 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Being an inner North girl myself, of course the North is better

The jobs could be anywhere really, it all depends where you can pick one up but chances are it would be Civic, Barton area, Woden, Belconnen or Tuggeranong Town Centre.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

The jobs could be anywhere really, it all depends where you can pick one up but chances are it would be Civic, Barton area, Woden, Belconnen or Tuggeranong Town Centre.

Exactly as Quol said IT work in Government - locations are south and north and centre
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sasbear
Exactly as Quol said IT work in Government - locations are south and north and centre
It seems like so much more of a dilemma when there are the needs of four people to balance. It's looking like the best starting point might be to find a good school for the boys preferably centre and take it from there. The enormity (and risks) of the tasks ahead are beginning to scare me

...But I'm sure everything will be alright in the end
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It seems like so much more of a dilemma when there are the needs of four people to balance. It's looking like the best starting point might be to find a good school for the boys preferably centre and take it from there. The enormity (and risks) of the tasks ahead are beginning to scare me

...But I'm sure everything will be alright in the end
No, the first thing is to find a job and a home that you are prepared to live in 24/7, the school can be the last thing on your list. If you go for a non gov school then it wont matter where you live. Most gov schools are just fine and if they arent then there will be a non gov one fairly close by which will be. The real trick is to find a house that you a) want to live in b) can afford and c) beat all the other applicants to renting it or getting a mortgage in order to finance it
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

[QUOTE=quoll;7674528]Being an inner North girl myself, of course the North is betterQUOTE]

ICK Dont listen to Quoll, come and live in the beautiful South at the foot of the gorgeous Murrumbidgee corridor. The northerners live in fancy architectural new builds squeezed into meagre 400 plots

But seriously you will like Canberra, I live in the South West and work way over in the South East and its only like a 20min drive.
By the way Canberra touches the North ACT/NSW border, there is no northern ACT town, the next major town to the North of Canberra is probably Yass but its like 100k into NSW from the ACT.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:04 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Graham and Maria;7675417]
Being an inner North girl myself, of course the North is betterQUOTE]

ICK Dont listen to Quoll, come and live in the beautiful South at the foot of the gorgeous Murrumbidgee corridor. The northerners live in fancy architectural new builds squeezed into meagre 400 plots

But seriously you will like Canberra, I live in the South West and work way over in the South East and its only like a 20min drive.
By the way Canberra touches the North ACT/NSW border, there is no northern ACT town, the next major town to the North of Canberra is probably Yass but its like 100k into NSW from the ACT.
If you hurry, you'll catch Hall before it is subsumed under a final paroxysm of star-gate houses.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WillBlack

If you hurry, you'll catch Hall before it is subsumed under a final paroxysm of star-gate houses.
Lol it wont be long indeed, I work for an engineering consultancy and were currently designing the extension of Clarrie Hermes drive
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria

Nah, I have a quarter acre with an old weatherboard on it!

You can get from top to bottom in just over half an hour on a good day and from side to side in less. However the Monaro and the Tuggeranong parkway arent the best roads to negotiate in the rush hour (unless you are going in the opposite direction as I used to)
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

The Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant future

Hiya

Thanks for your posts it's all very exciting, we are very open minded about where we are going to live and just can't wait to get over to the ACT and check it out.

We are hoping to check into a hotel for the first few weeks and do some exploring of the different suburbs. I'm sure we will know which one is right when we see it.

Hubby is a football coach - does anyone know how hard/easy it is to find a club/team to work with?

Sam
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sam,

Firstly welcome to BE.

Paul
Good luck - hope things move quickly for you - keep in touch
Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.