Reload this Page >

Design Engineering Opportunities

Design Engineering Opportunities

Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Shlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Design Engineering Opportunities

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes you are right. At an absolute pinch I could make it to 75 being: Age 30, English 20, work experience 15, trade qualification 10. But you are right that means OP would need to have been fully qualified at age 17.

OP, in view of the reference to "working visas" and being told you have 85 points, can I seriously recommend you ditch your agent and find a new one.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. My lack of knowledge of this has definitely put too much trust into this agency. (They were actually recommended by a friend who is currently made the jump.) You are correct with the work experience; they have included my modern apprentice years as experience. I have 5 years outside of apprenticeship. (Apprenticeship was 16-20).

Is there anyone you can recommend or is this something I'm better applying for myself?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:55 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of agents that post in these forums that are highly recommended (George Lombard, Alan Collett, TeeTMI).

For a straightforward application (no health issues or prior convictions), if you can read forms you can probably do it yourself (I did)

The first thing is to have a read of the wiki to see all the visa options open to you. At your age you may qualify for a "Working Holiday Visa" - a temporary visa that allows you to come over, work, make some money, visit other cities - to fund your holiday. You can probably even apply online with a credit card and not too much fuss. It is not a permanent visa though.

If you are thinking of getting a more permanent visa right away then you'll need to get your skills assessed for your occupation, see if it is on the SOL or CSOL and start from there.

From what you originally wrote have a read of these role descriptions
Electrical Engineering Draftsperson 312311 Engineers Australia
Electrical Engineering Technician 312312 TRA
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shlou
Sadly the term 'Engineer' are the same for UK and Oz.
Sadly I disagree.
As previously remarked, in Australia the title "engineer" most certainly carries the implication of a tertiary qualification.
This comes up quite often on here.