Reload this Page >

Design Engineering Opportunities

Design Engineering Opportunities

Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Shlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Design Engineering Opportunities

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone works in the Design field of Engineering in Oz? I've been looking for any information regarding this for quite some time but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

My background is -

25 year old Instrumentation Designer. Previously worked with Shell offshore as an instrument technician before going self employed as a designer working at BP sites all over the UK. I now have 8 years within the Control and Measurement engineering field and look to develop my career further abroad. I have an HNC graded A in Measurement and Control Engineering with a practical trade certificate to be a qualified instrument technician. (NVQ level 3 Instrument Control and Measurement Maintenance). I also have a host of technical certificates for SIS/SIL and Ex competent.

Are any of these qualifications recognised in Australia? If not, is there a specific website to use to gain recognition for these qualifications and experience?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Shlou.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Design Engineering Opportunities

Qualifications may be recognised, but without a visa it is moot. So first of all do you have or qualify for a visa, or are you a citizen.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Qualifications may be recognised, but without a visa it is moot. So first of all do you have or qualify for a visa, or are you a citizen.
I've not got a visa sorted yet; however, I have completed an assessment through an agency which revealed I am suitable/valid for a working visa. I'm wanting to make sure I am prepared job wise before making the jump. I don't want to go without having qualifications that are recognised by Australian companies.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shlou
I've not got a visa sorted yet; however, I have completed an assessment through an agency which revealed I am suitable/valid for a working visa. I'm wanting to make sure I am prepared job wise before making the jump. I don't want to go without having qualifications that are recognised by Australian companies.
Most people do not need to retrain or get new qualifications, some occupations do like electrician. So it really is the visa that is the issue. There is no such thing as a "working visa", it is an expression people that don't know what they are talking about use, so I would be concerned that an agent used it.

Do you know what they actually meant? It actually is closest to working holiday visa, in which case the visa limitations might mean you are not working in your occupation anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

have you googled Instrumentation Engineer' (designer) jobs. Reason I ask is OZ I think for the term 'Engineer' usually refers to someone with a degree or registered Engineer (C.Eng) or OZ equivalent.

If its Instrumentation technician then I believe you'd be OK

Although I think your experience & HNC + CPD likely is as good as or not better - some employers get tied up with ther term Engineer. I have been there so I know

Good luck with it

See if this is what you're looking for in terms of job level? Open each job to see the qualification & experience requirements or expectations

Instrumentation Engineer Jobs In Australia | Recruit.net

Australia Instrument Engineering Jobs - Oil Careers

Last edited by not2old; Oct 14th 2014 at 8:09 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
have you googled Instrumentation Engineer' jobs. Reason I ask is OZ I think for the term 'Engineer' usually refers to someone with a degree or registered Engineer (C.Eng) or OZ equivalent.

Although I think your experience & HNC + CPD likely is as good as or not better - some employers get tied up with ther term Engineer. I have been there so I know

Good luck with it

See if this is what you're looking for in terms of job level? Open each job to see the qualification & experience requirements or expectations

Instrumentation Engineer Jobs In Australia | Recruit.net

Australia Instrument Engineering Jobs - Oil Careers
Sadly the term 'Engineer' are the same for UK and Oz. I'd be looking for a job as a Instrument Designer, sometimes referred as an Instrument Drafter in OZ going by job advert info. I will try recruit.net as a search though thanks.

RE: Visa. The term 'working' visa could be my mistake. I would need to speak to the agent tomorrow. It was completed using a point system; taking into consideration my age, experience, language etc.

Thank you everyone so far for your help.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I'm adding the following to give you a general idea of some the CV's of the 'Instrumentation' types'

Instrument engineer Perth Area, Australia profiles | LinkedIn
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Sadly the term 'Engineer' is the same for UK and Oz. I'd be looking for a job as a Instrument Designer, sometimes referred as an Instrument Drafter in OZ going by job advert info. I will try recruit.net as a search though thanks.

RE: Visa. The term 'working' visa could be my mistake. I would need to speak to the agent tomorrow. It was completed using a point system; taking into consideration my age, experience, language etc.

Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

before you go back to the agent (just in case) take a look at the link & the type of Visa - that is if you are not already familiar Scroll down the page

Find a visa
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sadly the term 'Engineer' is the same for UK and Oz. I'd be looking for a job as a Instrument Designer, sometimes referred as an Instrument Drafter in OZ going by job advert info. I will try recruit.net as a search though thanks.

So the points test is relevant to the skilled migration progam, doesn't sound anything like "working visa" so I am just hoping that your agent didn't use that phrase as it shows a lot of ignorance to me.

Does this sound like your occupation? It is the only think I could find on the occupation lists that sounded familiar. If it is your occupation, then it is great news as it is on the SOL so you may qualify for a visa without requiring any sponsorship.

Unit Group 3423: Electronics Trades Workers
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So the points test is relevant to the skilled migration progam, doesn't sound anything like "working visa" so I am just hoping that your agent didn't use that phrase as it shows a lot of ignorance to me.

Does this sound like your occupation? It is the only think I could find on the occupation lists that sounded familiar. If it is your occupation, then it is great news as it is on the SOL so you may qualify for a visa without requiring any sponsorship.

Unit Group 3423: Electronics Trades Workers
Going by the immi.gov site I would say my job title is a cross between "Electrical Engineering Draftsperson 312311 Engineers Australia" and the one you quoted. I am qualified to do both and carry out both day-to-day. For info - if I remember correctly - I scored 85 points.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Going by the immi.gov site I would say my job title is a cross between "Electrical Engineering Draftsperson 312311 Engineers Australia" and the one you quoted. I am qualified to do both and carry out both day-to-day. For info - if I remember correctly - I scored 85 points.
if it was me, I'd try for the easiest visa category that gets me in without (if possible) a sponsor or nomination route. Screw the temp worker visa if at all possible

if you qualify under skilled trades - then that's the one if it gets you in ...

Good luck again
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have a read of the skills assessments requirements for each of the occupation and see which one looks easier to pass to you.

Your points score of 85 must surely include some work experience, in which case you need to come down with one or the other occupation. The two are not in the same unit group so you would not be able to nominate one occupation and then claim work experience for the other is related.

So you need to work out which one is you, not what you are qualified to do, but what you actually do or have done.

Also there is no need to claim for 85 points, the requirement is for 60. Claiming 65 or 70 points might bring a very minor timing advantage. Claiming for 85 just means more points to prove and more chance of visa being refused if those points are not proven.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:47 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I am super skeptical of a 25 year old claiming 85 points (!!)

Unless you are counting - over 8 years work experience, that means you were doing skilled work (i.e. NOT apprenticeship or OTJ) since you were 17
You have a PhD or Bachelor's degree (not familiar with UK qualifications but those look like trade qualifications)
English - ok you can probably assume you will score 'Superior English' but there have been posters caught out before getting the IELTS result back - and have had to redo the test or accept lower points. Native speakers included.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Sorry but I am super skeptical of a 25 year old claiming 85 points (!!)

Unless you are counting - over 8 years work experience, that means you were doing skilled work (i.e. NOT apprenticeship or OTJ) since you were 17
You have a PhD or Bachelor's degree (not familiar with UK qualifications but those look like trade qualifications)
English - ok you can probably assume you will score 'Superior English' but there have been posters caught out before getting the IELTS result back - and have had to redo the test or accept lower points. Native speakers included.
Yes you are right. At an absolute pinch I could make it to 75 being: Age 30, English 20, work experience 15, trade qualification 10. But you are right that means OP would need to have been fully qualified at age 17.

OP, in view of the reference to "working visas" and being told you have 85 points, can I seriously recommend you ditch your agent and find a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.