Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

depressed...and confused!

depressed...and confused!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Default depressed...and confused!

Got my assessment back, not enough points to qualify for skilled migration they have suggested I try for the 'bush' visa (not scared of that).

What I am confused about tho is they say i dont meet the basic requirements for a skilled migration but are talking about me sending my skills off to VETASSESS, why would I want to do this if I dont meet basic requirements???

Am I misinterpretating it or just blinded by disappointment and not seeing the woods for the trees
Help required to help me through this stage please
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:06 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: depressed...and confused!

Originally posted by trainee_pilot
Got my assessment back, not enough points to qualify for skilled migration they have suggested I try for the 'bush' visa (not scared of that).

What I am confused about tho is they say i dont meet the basic requirements for a skilled migration but are talking about me sending my skills off to VETASSESS, why would I want to do this if I dont meet basic requirements???

Am I misinterpretating it or just blinded by disappointment and not seeing the woods for the trees
I havent got a bloody clue matey, but wish u all the luck in the world with ur application
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:10 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

For the bush visa (regional), you'll also need your skills assessed. So maybe that's why they already want to do that.

And for that visa, the points will be lower, so you might qualify for that.

Hope that helps, and hope I'm not talking complete bollocks...!!
I'm sure someone will correct me otherwise

Good luck with it all! Real bummer...!

Simone
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:12 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

what skill were you applying with?
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by seang
what skill were you applying with?
Occupational health and Safety Officer 50 points

Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:48 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

points shouldnt be aproblem then should it?

was this a free assessment or your actual agent

edit-see points maybe aprob -do you come in 5 short?is your skill on the stni list-seems better option than SIR

Last edited by seang; Jun 12th 2004 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:54 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hiya trainee_pilot

Ok....I can understand your dissapointment.....but you're not gonna give up without a fight.....and there's maybe some help from your Expats here [we're a wealth of information ya know ]

If it's any consolation, I was turned down when I got my skills assessed by AIM. I contested the ruling and won the case and subsequently I've now got the visa [shared that wiv ya to give you hope...all is not lost yet my friend]

The reason I was declined was because I was sent a list of management jobs and asked which description matched my role [brief descriptions were provided]. As my role was not matched exactly, I was asked to provide the nearest. I was then asked to provide supporting evidance BASED on the job description which matched the role. My role covered a multitude of responsibilities, however I just picked one, and evidenced this job. Being a "typical Brit".....I decided to play down my role, only supply evidence based on what they asked, not explain or detail my exact position.

To my detriment I found there is no room for humility when putting forward your skills strength. I asked why I was deemed not skilled enough [you need to know why failed so you can assess if you have a counter argument or not]. In the main I was informed I did not possess senior management abilities in strategy. Hence I now knew why I'd failed.

I had a fantastic argument. Firstly, the reason I didn't evidence strategy was because the particular Job description didn't ask me to evidence it...so I didn't!!

My arguement in my case was fairly straight fwd. I appealed on the grounds my position involved me working on Stategy, in fact I was tasked by my organisation with visiting other parts of our organisation in Europe to assess and benchmark future organisational requirements, 5 years ahead of the time i.e long term strategy!. It also helped that I'd just completed a Masters in Business, title of my Masters was "Strategic development of blah, blah, blah".

So....I just sent an appeal letter outlining the fact I only sent what they asked for. Did not evidence first time but did so now, and provided a FULL copy of my thesis :scared:

I won the case....with flying colours....and was positioned correctly within AIM [AIM also been bottom licking since then cos they realise not always a good idea to p*ss off any future captains of industry

So.........:
1) Find out why you were assessed to be not skilled enough. This way you MAY have a counter argument.

2) Work on this as the basis for your counter claim. Provide supporting evidence e.g references, work projects, even, as in my case, Thesis or qualifications. Basically anything you can.

The moral of the story is..........DON'T GIVE UP/ DON'T GIVE IN.....if you feel their argument is incorrect then fight back with the correct details and don't give in easily

You only get one chance matey....grab it with both hands if you want it bad enough.....[ooo er missus]

Good luck

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Jun 12th 2004 at 6:03 pm.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:26 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

......and she's got a wand!......

Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:30 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by arnie2oz
......and she's got a wand!......

The wand got me an extra 5 points!!!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
The wand got me an extra 5 points!!!
how much do they cost and where do i get one from lol

thanks for the support guys, much appreciated

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey TP u gotta keep goin mate cos u need to come to aussie to celebrate my container gettin there b4 Gryff lol
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:57 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TP

Sorry to read the bad news.

When you get the unfortunate news of a refusal based on insufficient points of failure to meet the basic requirements, it's best to consider showing the letter from DIMIA to a registered agent who knows what he/she's doing.

I can think of two possible reasons why they've asked you to get a VETASSESS assessment - on the assumption that DIMIA didn't say so by mistake. Without a thorough examination of what DIMIA wrote, no one can really give you any meaningful pointers, I'm afraid.

Talk to some of the agents that frequent this forum. Some are highly rated, and don't charge an arm and a leg for an initial discussion.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear your news, but good luck with the 'Bush' Visa! Where there's a will there's a way and as other's have said don't give up!

Best regards.

J.