Reload this Page >

dependant children

dependant children

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dependant children

hello everyone,
we have been told that because our 2 eldest are just 18 and nearly 21 we cannot include them in our application,i was told this by our agent. because they are both in full time employment,and have been since they left school(both at 16)DIMIA will not class them as dependent.i looked up the definition of dependent in one of our books and it states that they need to wholly or substantially rely on us for their basic needs of shelter,food and clothing etc,neither of our kids earn a great deal of money,certainly not enough to rent accomodation,buy food and all the other bits and pieces,has anyone out there been in the same situation,can anyone put us in touch with an agent that could sort this problem out for us,has anyone got any ideas of how we can get over this ,we obviously all want to go together so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks very much
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:37 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dependant children

Originally posted by malpjc
hello everyone,
we have been told that because our 2 eldest are just 18 and nearly 21 we cannot include them in our application,i was told this by our agent. because they are both in full time employment,and have been since they left school(both at 16)DIMIA will not class them as dependent.i looked up the definition of dependent in one of our books and it states that they need to wholly or substantially rely on us for their basic needs of shelter,food and clothing etc,neither of our kids earn a great deal of money,certainly not enough to rent accomodation,buy food and all the other bits and pieces,has anyone out there been in the same situation,can anyone put us in touch with an agent that could sort this problem out for us,has anyone got any ideas of how we can get over this ,we obviously all want to go together so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks very much
DONT give up,theres a way around it?
We fought 5mths for a stat dec only to be told last week it wasnt needed!
Doesnt help your situation any i know(sorry) but you have to prove the kids still rely on you?
Donna.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dependant children

You should talk through this in detail with your agent. There are specific rules for dependency that over 18s must fall within.

Work out how much your sons need for their *basic* needs; ie, food, clothing, shelter but not things like cars/vacations etc.

Compare this amount to what they earn (take home pay). Do the exercise separately for each son.

And then discuss the results with your agent.

Are they in regular employment or is it some kind of apprenticeship?

If they don't qualify as dependents now, then you should be looking at a longer term strategy for them including some/all of the following:

- skilled sponsored visas (incl skilled designated area sponsored)
- student visa
- working holiday visa
- remaining relative.

Jeremy

Originally posted by malpjc
hello everyone,
thanks very much