Dentist records

Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough
Default Dentist records

I've searched through the forum and not really found a recent answer so here goes.

We have been told that we can't take our dental records with us and only our new dentists in Australia (when we get there....) can request them from the UK. Under Data Protection Act, aren't we allowed copies of our records ? Our doctors will allow us copies of potentially more sensitive information.

Has anybody obtained their own records ?

cheers
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist records

Under what circumstances does a dentist have an obligation to disclose their records and if so, who might be authorised to request that disclosure?

Section 7 of
The Data Protection Act (1998), gives rights of access to individuals in respect of personal data held about them. A dentist is obliged to disclose an individual’s dental records provided he has received: the individual’s written request, the current maximum chargeable fee of £10 (£50 for manual records.) and, if necessary, information required to satisfy himself of the authority of the person making the request if not the individual. Disclosure must take place as quickly as possible or in any event within 40 days of receipt of the request.
A dentist may also be asked to disclose dental records for other purposes.
Common examples being disclosure:
1) To the police to prevent and detect crime.
2) Required by an enactment of law or court order.
3) To legal professionals for use in legal proceedings.
However, a dentist should be cautious as there are requirements of necessity as well as having consent of any other individual identified; the records may need to be redacted before disclosure. The dentist/ patient relationship gives rise to a duty of confidence and disclosure without consent is likely to be considered unreasonable. Dental Protection will give advice in relation to any request.

http://www.dentalprotection.org/adx/...ordsandlaw.pdf

Although, I wouldn't bother....
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

i got copies of my dental records with no problems

kelly
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:56 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by n_n_d
I've searched through the forum and not really found a recent answer so here goes.

We have been told that we can't take our dental records with us and only our new dentists in Australia (when we get there....) can request them from the UK. Under Data Protection Act, aren't we allowed copies of our records ? Our doctors will allow us copies of potentially more sensitive information.

Has anybody obtained their own records ?

cheers
You shouldn't need them, one xray and the dentist can see exactly what work you've had in the past.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:17 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need them, kids have even continued orthodontist work here and never once been asked for records X
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
You shouldn't need them, one xray and the dentist can see exactly what work you've had in the past.
Wouldn't think you'd even need that, just open your mouth to a half decent dentist and they'll work it out
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

My dentist advised me that any new dentist I saw would prefer to assess my teeth directly rather than rely on another dentist's records. When I think about it, I changed dentists at least 3 times when I lived in the UK (usually because of moving to another town) and it never occurred to me to take my old records, nor were they ever requested or needed.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n_n_d

Has anybody obtained their own records

cheers
WHY?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your inputs.

I guess it is one to remove off the checklist.