Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fish and Chips in Brisbane

Fish and Chips in Brisbane

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

shane-sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fish and Chips in Brisbane

I live in Kelvin Grove just outside the CBD.

I need some recommendations on decent fish and chip shops. In particular I want a shop that sells gravy so that I can have chips and gravy

Cheers
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish and Chips in Brisbane

Originally Posted by shane-sullivan

I need some recommendations on decent fish and chip shops. In particular I want a shop that sells gravy so that I can have chips and gravy

Cheers
"Have thou nowt moist?!"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Try the 'british chippy' hollands pies & steak puddings, chips & gravy, mushy pies ect, wrapped in news paper
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:30 am
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by calNgary
mushy pies ect,
Did you mean to type mushy peas in a Brummie accent?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Try the 'british chippy' hollands pies & steak puddings, chips & gravy, mushy pies ect, wrapped in news paper
Is that a shop in Brisbane?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

shane-sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance of more details on this British Chippy?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . . wrapped in news paper
That surely would contravene a whole raft of H&S regulations!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shane-sullivan

Cheers
Best one we've found is A Salt and Battery in St Lucia but I don't think they do gravy!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabsody
Best one we've found is A Salt and Battery in St Lucia but I don't think they do gravy!
"The've no gravy. I said . . . N O G R A V Y!"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spartacus
"The've no gravy. I said . . . N O G R A V Y!"
"Have they any mushy peas?"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

"Have they any mushy peas?"
Nup!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabsody
Nup!
"The've no mushy peas . . . I said . . . N O M U S H Y P E A S!"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"The've no mushy peas . . . I said . . . N O M U S H Y P E A S!"
"Have they any curry sauce?"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

I was driving along the Lytton Road the other day, and saw a chippy advertising 'The Winner of the Best Fish n Chips In Oz '08'.

Take it with a pinch of salt (geddit???) cos signs of this nature are a fairly common sight! (And god forbid if a shop has never won The Best.... it's probably the biggest/quickest/fastest in the Southern hemisphere anyway)

It's called the Fishmonger's Wife, let us know if you try it out
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

You must realise that mushy peas are pretty much unheard of downunder, unless you go to a British chip shop. Likewise you won't find gravy or curry sauce and most shops don't even have vinegar on the counter. I still amuse my kiwi kids by pouring vinegar on my fish and chips, while they make retching sounds.

Spartacus, what do you mean about newspaper? Do they not wrap it in newspaper in Oz? Here in NZ they still do that, although there must be a lining of white greaseproof paper first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.