Dentist costs?

Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:30 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

colldaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentist costs?

Anyone know how much you pay as a backpacker if you need to see a dentist?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: Dentist costs?

I'd guess about $60 and up for a check up. If you need any work its more than the UK for sure. I had a root canal a couple of years ago and seem to remember it was about $800, some of which my health insurance paid.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:37 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

colldaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks wow that is expensive!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by colldaisy
Some people actually travel overseas just for dentistry, I know a guy who went to Thailand for some dental work and flights+2 weeks accom+ dental work still figured much cheaper.

I also find the dentists here very good at finding work to do, first time I visited one gave me a $3,000 "treatment plan", bear in mind I had regular checkups and all advised work at a BUPA dentist before I left the UK. There's an element of recommending as much work as possible IMHO.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to the dentist for ages but I reckon my 2 gold crowns inserted about 5 years ago are probably worth more now than what I paid him to fit them! One of my better investment decisions.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If uou need serious work done its probably cheaper to fly home and come back afterwards!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice

Or India.. $40/- for the best root canal and about $70 for a full ceramic crown..!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If uou need serious work done its probably cheaper to fly home and come back afterwards!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Check up for $60? - it's a long time since I had one that cost less than twice that!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I think those prices would be incredibly cheap. My last dentist check up, clean and polish was $250. I paid $2k for a crown last year.

I don't think being a back packer has any bearing on dental costs, my dentist did not ask about my occupation / situation anyway.

If you have not set off yet, then it is an excellent idea to go to dentist before you do and get everything you need doing done.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh no, I think those prices would be incredibly cheap. My last dentist check up, clean and polish was $250. I paid $2k for a crown last year.

I don't think being a back packer has any bearing on dental costs, my dentist did not ask about my occupation / situation anyway.

If you have not set off yet, then it is an excellent idea to go to dentist before you do and get everything you need doing done.
My last check up in the UK with an NHS dentist was £47 and if I saw the hygenist for a clean and polish (I didn't but many do) that would have been another £200. Fortuantely when I needed a broken tooth repaired that was also only £47 so swings and roundabouts
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how much you pay as a backpacker if you need to see a dentist?
As others have said, you won't pay any more than the general population, but you won't pay any less either. Dentists in Australia are all private (except for the very few government run practices which have a huge waiting list and are reserved for citizens, and maybe permanent residents, on benefits). Some recent examples of dental treatment costs from family and friends are $375 for an ordinary filling, $1,500 for a root canal treatment, $5,000 for a single implant. Personally, when I go to the dentist I find it easier to just hand over my wallet, savings account, credit cards and the deeds to my house, and hope that covers it.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

ps, if you have a dental abscess (swelling and pain) you're best going to a doctor, as you won't be able to have any dental treatment until you've had antibiotics to clear the infection.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
ps, if you have a dental abscess (swelling and pain) you're best going to a doctor, as you won't be able to have any dental treatment until you've had antibiotics to clear the infection.
That's a handy tip to file for future reference
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That's a handy tip to file for future reference
I always go straight to the dentist. He can either prescribe anti-biotics himself or give emergency treatment. I needed a tooth taking out immediately the last time I thought I just needed anti-biotics.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:09 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by lesleys
I always go straight to the dentist. He can either prescribe anti-biotics himself or give emergency treatment. I needed a tooth taking out immediately the last time I thought I just needed anti-biotics.
I suppose the dentist could have prescribed antibiotics, I rang his surgery to get an emergency appointment for an abscess (it was a front tooth and the swelling made me look like Bart Simpson). He said he wouldn't touch the tooth until I'd had a course of antibiotics and advised me to go to my doctor. Maybe he thought it could have been something else, don't know. I suppose every dentist and every situation is different, the thing that dental abscesses have in common is they hurt like buggery and anyone who's ever had one has my deepest sympathy! Doctor or dentist, they're not things you can ignore or leave, that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.