dentist costs

Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Wee Bubba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dentist costs

hi i am emigrating to Oz soon. i havent been to the dentist for ages and i need to go soon but my dentist here charges a fortune. will i be able to get free treatment over there straight away? or is it more expensive?

thanks
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:17 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: dentist costs

Originally Posted by Wee Bubba
hi i am emigrating to Oz soon. i havent been to the dentist for ages and i need to go soon but my dentist here charges a fortune. will i be able to get free treatment over there straight away? or is it more expensive?

thanks
There was a thread on this yesterday

Here you go http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286369

Hope it's useful

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Feb 26th 2005 at 11:21 am. Reason: URL amendment

Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Stef :) is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just paid $250 for a filling (inc exam and xray) couldn't wait for private health to kick in.
Shop around though, dentist charge what they can get.
I was quoted between $200 to $500. The filling was far superior though to anything you would get on the nhs.
Stef
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:31 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wee Bubba

thanks

Strongly suggest you GO before you GO, unless you feel like contributing to their next Porsche.

Seriously blooming expensive, just ask Cresta57. Have seen his reaction to bill for temporary filling and xrays.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:18 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: dentist costs

Hi, It seems to depend on where you are...Just seen a post about dental costs in Adelaide they paid $70 for an x-ray,polish and check up. That seems good to me !!!!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 1:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Strongly suggest you GO before you GO, unless you feel like contributing to their next Porsche.

Seriously blooming expensive, just ask Cresta57. Have seen his reaction to bill for temporary filling and xrays.
Contributing I think I bought his wheels.
Ours only has a porche as his runabout just for the hired help to nipp down the shops in.
Seriously though after the initial shock we did contact another couple of dentists for quotes and they all seem to be around the same price for a crown . Extractions vary and if your in real pain you can present yourself at the local hospital's dental surgury, at 7am as there's a huge cue and you can have the extraction/filling done on medicare. this only applies on a first come first served basis as they only do so many a day.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by CORKER
Hi, It seems to depend on where you are...Just seen a post about dental costs in Adelaide they paid $70 for an x-ray,polish and check up. That seems good to me !!!!
I agree that it does seem to depend where you are, have a look at post no 11 on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214984 (Post no 8 is also interesting)

It seems that "some" Uk prices are higher than Australian, with a check up costing £38. Obviously if you have a NHS dentist in the UK, then Australian prices would normally be higher.

I pay $30 for a check up, and $70 for the clean and polish, and another $35 for single X-Ray, although X-Rays can be done under bulk billing, if you get a referal

Other prices I have paid in the past are:
Two fillings cost $110 ($55 each)
An extraction cost $100 for a childs tooth.
One surface Glass Ionomer ???? $80
Enamel Bonded composite ?? $125