Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting in?

We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting in?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Question We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting in?

Hi - newbie here!

Just started the whole process. We live in Fife near Edinburgh and have a 3 year old. As soon as we get our visas we'll be off hopefully to Brisbane!

We refused to have our son vaccineated with MMR as it nearly killed me apart from the mercury etc reasons.

Will they let us in without this or will it be a major problem?

When researching MMR I found out that a lot of Aussies have opted out of the vaccination but wasn't sure of what the immigration situation is?

Also anyone in the Edinburgh area up for a meet up?

We have contacted an emigration visa agency in EH but not sure whether to go with them or do it ourselves. £ is a major factor in the decision too! We have most of our £ tied up in our house which we are not selling until the visas are through so have to do this the cheap way if possible!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:50 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting in?

Hi! Can't help with the query I'm afraid but if you're looking for an agent, Alan Collett of Go Matilda and George Lombard come very highly recommended.

Do a search on agents and you'll see some that are recommended and some that are definitely not.

Good luck!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Re: We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting in?

Thanks for that - will check those agents out!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:50 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
Hi - newbie here!

Just started the whole process. We live in Fife near Edinburgh and have a 3 year old. As soon as we get our visas we'll be off hopefully to Brisbane!

We refused to have our son vaccineated with MMR as it nearly killed me apart from the mercury etc reasons.

When researching MMR I found out that a lot of Aussies have opted out of the vaccination but wasn't sure of what the immigration situation is?

We have contacted an emigration visa agency in EH but not sure whether to go with them or do it ourselves. £ is a major factor in the decision too! We have most of our £ tied up in our house which we are not selling until the visas are through so have to do this the cheap way if possible!
I am not sure but MMR was banned in Japan 8 years ago but there are plenty of Japanese kids here.
Nice to hear someone else knows about the "mercury" used in vaccines - banned in just about every country except good old UK.

Andrew
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting

Welcome to the forum. Most threads about MMR will cause a string of users to give their views on you ensuring your child has the MMR. I agree that every parent has the right to choose, and hope that users will read this and not turn this thread into a personal crusade.

I cant remember , but dont believe we were asked about our childrens vacinations during the emmigration process.
Australian Schools will insist on your Child being vaccinated though. Most Schools will ask to see proof of your childs vacinations and as you cannot get single MMR injections in Australia, this becomes an issue. You must decide quickly, if you have the single injections in the UK, or go with the MMR, but you must do one or the other.

Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

My son had the MMR injection when he was almost 3 years old, but I then declined the MMR booster injection a year later, in the UK. When we arrived in Melbourne in November I was told I needed an immunisation certificate before he could start school. I filled in the form and sent off a copy of the immunisation page from his UK child record book and was then phoned and told they would not issue an immunisation certificate because he had not completed the MMR course.

The school then said he could not start without his immunisation certificate. In the end after a lot of arguing and phone calls they issued him with a certificate, only because I lied and said that he would be having the booster shot when he was 6.

I dont know how other children who have not had the MMR get the completed immunisation certificate to start school, maybe its just the particular school my children attend that insist on it. I had a lot of hassle getting them to issue the certificate and he had been given the first MMR shot.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: We have refused the MMR vacine for our son - will be have a mojor problem getting

Originally Posted by melibeam
My son had the MMR injection when he was almost 3 years old, but I then declined the MMR booster injection a year later, in the UK. When we arrived in Melbourne in November I was told I needed an immunisation certificate before he could start school. I filled in the form and sent off a copy of the immunisation page from his UK child record book and was then phoned and told they would not issue an immunisation certificate because he had not completed the MMR course.

The school then said he could not start without his immunisation certificate. In the end after a lot of arguing and phone calls they issued him with a certificate, only because I lied and said that he would be having the booster shot when he was 6.

I dont know how other children who have not had the MMR get the completed immunisation certificate to start school, maybe its just the particular school my children attend that insist on it. I had a lot of hassle getting them to issue the certificate and he had been given the first MMR shot.

I'm also interested in other peoples views on the booster shot. Our Children have both had the single vaccine injections, and we not sure what we are going to do when we get to Aus. If the only way is to have the MMR, can you have the MMR booster ontop of a single course vaccination?. Will they offer single booster injections for children that have not had the MMR?.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was the same at our kids school, no certificate, no entry. I was however accused of misinformation last time i posted this, however I KNOW from the school MY children attend you need the immunisation records.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Our son is 3 and has still not had MMR-we have been in Oz 2 months.It will not make any impact on your visa app.
We used Visa Go in Edinburgh Darren Chat -real helpfull and straight.

Good Luck
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for recommending Darren Chat - rang him this morning and he was really great and straighforward. He also put my mind at rest re the MMR as he said his wife and himself have not had their kids vaccinated. He said the schools do kick up a fuss and they have had trouble with them but legally they are not allowed to discriminate against a kid whos not vaccinated!!!!

Darrens sending out an info pack, fees info etc. Having spoken to another agent previously I think I'll go with Darren as he sounds a lot more friendly and professional
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi
I think it depends on what state you are going to. In Queensland we were not asked for vaccination records - I offered them to the school but they said they did not need them in Qld - I think this varies from State to state.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

We are hoping to definately go to Brisbane area - Melbourne/Perth 2nd choice so hopefully it'll be ok

Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:09 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

this may help: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/Healthy...2.x=25&I2.y=16
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
Hi - newbie here!

Hi Zenamethyst,
No you do not need to worry about vaccinating your son. We live in Queensland and neither of our children have had the MMR. It's good to hear of someone else who is aware of the implications of vaccinations, however I do realise that this is a personal choice, and not everyone feels the same way...
You do need to see your doctor over here though, and ask to sign a "conscientious objection form" this is to prove that you are making an informed, conscientious decision not to vaccinate your child. This then goes on the vaccination register, you can also request a copy and this can then be shown on any occasion when you are asked to provide your childs' vaccination history, although I have never been asked for this.
Good luck with your visas!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:39 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Just to let you know that you can't get the single dose vaccines in australia for MMR. There is one for Rubella but not measles and mumps. The vaccines used in Queensland do not contain mercury. Also there was a retraction and apology by the team from the Royal Free hospital regarding the horrendous worldwide scare with MMR and autism. They have never been able to replicate the study and the original sample size was 10 children who had many other physical problems.For more information contact www.immunise.health.gov.au and also the immunise.health.gov.au/handbook.htm which will give you a breakdown of any vaccine used, its components etc.
Lucy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.