Dental Plans

Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:25 am
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of
Default Dental Plans

Visited the dentist this week with my son and now getting worried about the cost of future visits over the next few years.

I have done a search on this forum and done quite a bit of reading but wondered if anyone had anything new to add.

I wondered if anyone had a plan that they could recommend? I realise that some cover orthodontic work, but only refund part of it, and some dont cover any more than the basic check ups. Also, been reading about the school dentists in previous threads and wondered how I found out if there were any in my local area.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dental Plans

Originally Posted by td1
Visited the dentist this week with my son and now getting worried about the cost of future visits over the next few years.

I have done a search on this forum and done quite a bit of reading but wondered if anyone had anything new to add.

I wondered if anyone had a plan that they could recommend? I realise that some cover orthodontic work, but only refund part of it, and some dont cover any more than the basic check ups. Also, been reading about the school dentists in previous threads and wondered how I found out if there were any in my local area.

Hi...my kids go to a school dentist,for free but it only comes once a year. As for Orthodontists...what a rip off 2 of my kids need braces...it was going to cost me $10.000 to get them both done.
My daughter said forget it as she is going back to UK next year..so she will get them done there for free!!
As for my son..well we can pay in instalments over 12 months but they want one third deposit!
Makes me sick really knowing they could get them done in UK for free.
Medicare doesn't cover any Dentistry...and private insurance will only pay back a percentage..$500 to be precise.
The insurance cover was going to cost us $670 a year so we would still be out of pocket.
Crazy!!
Not sure on general Dentist costs though...daren't go to find out. Probably need a second morgage
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Hi...my kids go to a school dentist,for free but it only comes once a year. As for Orthodontists...what a rip off 2 of my kids need braces...it was going to cost me $10.000 to get them both done.
My daughter said forget it as she is going back to UK next year..so she will get them done there for free!!
As for my son..well we can pay in instalments over 12 months but they want one third deposit!
Makes me sick really knowing they could get them done in UK for free.
Medicare doesn't cover any Dentistry...and private insurance will only pay back a percentage..$500 to be precise.
The insurance cover was going to cost us $670 a year so we would still be out of pocket.
Crazy!!
Not sure on general Dentist costs though...daren't go to find out. Probably need a second morgage

Think we'll have to smash ours out before we go get dentures then no worries
Seems very bizarre the whole process of dental work in Aus, how on earth do people afford it?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Seems very bizarre the whole process of dental work in Aus, how on earth do people afford it?
An Aussie guy I work with found it was cheaper to fly to the Philippines and get dental treatment there than to get it done in Australia.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:49 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
You find the money somehow, usually at the expense of other things like foreign holidays.

So Far around $12000 on two kids orthodontic, daughter need constant dental care around $250 a trip and she has about 3 of these this year so far and I think we are infor more. Son is not so bad and usually gets away with $400 a year.

Hubby and I roughly $400 each a year if we only have basics but they are now recommending special gum treatment for hubby including braces and
I need a new bridge which will be minimum $1400 or $4000 if I go for an impant. Roll on next years Bonus cause I have already spent it on our teeth.

I think the thing to take into consideration when moving over is kids orthodontics and check out dental plans to help. Even relatively straight teeth get recommended braces.

The rest is to ensure you budget for a six month check up and clean and the odd filling. Work it into your outgoings and ensure you save the money up front otherwise it can be a tearful expensive showdown when you get out of the dentist chair. On a less expensive note - looking after teeth is a good way to cut down on costs, floss and brush

We have a dental plan but this only covered a small percentage of money for cleans and exams a year because of the extra work we are all needing.

On chatting to mates they are spending similar amounts if not more.

Hubby fell over when my last visit was $565 after $102 insurance paid - I will admit I have snuck in a teeth bleach - but this is because they are so out of whack with the colour of my one denture I need it and means I can put off paying the $1400 or $4000 until I get my bonus.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:44 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by td1

Something to bear in mind is that most health care plans have waiting periods, some I've seen have had up to 6 months waiting periods for general dental and 12 months for things like root canal treatment.

Annual limit for general dental with NIB was $500 (2 months wait) and $400 for major dental incl. 'orthodontia' (12 months wait) on their basic plus plan.