Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Wikiposts

Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice
Default Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on dental costs in OZ, more specifically Sydney, compared with costs in the UK.

Hubby and I are both due dental work ie fillings and a crown etc, and wondered whether to wait until we reach OZ and find a good dentist there or have it done here. The quote we have had here from our own private practice dentist is extortionate:scared: !

Thanks
WHEEZY
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on dental costs in OZ, more specifically Sydney, compared with costs in the UK.

Hubby and I are both due dental work ie fillings and a crown etc, and wondered whether to wait until we reach OZ and find a good dentist there or have it done here. The quote we have had here from our own private practice dentist is extortionate:scared: !

Thanks
WHEEZY
Get it done before you go. Dental costs are high in Aus
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
WHEEZY
DO IT IN THE UK!!!!!!

Have a search for recent (last 3 months) posts by Cresta57, Deb nearly gave her husband heart failure when he saw the bill..........it was a classic mouth drops open to floor moment
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:52 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks
WHEEZY
Hello Wheezy

If you can afford it, and as Worzel says, have it done here - will cost you an arm and a leg (as well as your teeth) in Sydney.

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hello Wheezy

If you can afford it, and as Worzel says, have it done here - will cost you an arm and a leg (as well as your teeth) in Sydney.

Regards

Jim
Thanks all, have read Crest57 posts as well, they scared me so much have now booked an appointment for Wednesday morning. SOOOO scared of dentists (and not just their prices!!):scared: , some karma would be good!! PLEASE.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:56 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

a link for those needing dental treatment in Australia: http://www.dentists.com.au/
Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:54 am
Merlot

Do it in Blighty, otherwise you will spend your first months salary over in Oz!

M

Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:58 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
WHEEZY
I`d get it done before you go! my teeth certainly are`nt the best in the world so i`ve just had them polished and 1 pulled out for 40 quid! i`ll be down there again as soon as the house is sold for another seeing too for i`ve heard dentistry is very pricey in in oz
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

My last dental bill:
$300 check up inc x-rays
and 2 extra visits of $300 and $400 to take out UK crown and replace it with a pin filling. Crown quoted as $1400.
This dentist was quite expensive even for here, but recommended hence the visit. Try get it all done before you come.
How are the plans coming along?

Queenie

Hi,

Thanks
WHEEZY
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:06 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by queenie
My last dental bill:
$300 check up inc x-rays
and 2 extra visits of $300 and $400 to take out UK crown and replace it with a pin filling. Crown quoted as $1400.
This dentist was quite expensive even for here, but recommended hence the visit. Try get it all done before you come.
How are the plans coming along?

Queenie
Do children get free dental care in AUS. ?????
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
In QLd the state schools have a dental van once a year, its basics, fillings and rip em outs. Iis NOT orthodontics, braces will cost around $10,000.

The dental vans dont mess about, if the kids fussy or whiney they advise you to take straight to private dentist who will have more time to deal with it. My youngest refuses to go near the van.

Private dental plans cover a % of treatment, strict limits apply to what and how much you can claim.

Children dont get free prescriptions either.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In QLd the state schools have a dental van once a year, its basics, fillings and rip em outs. Iis NOT orthodontics, braces will cost around $10,000.

The dental vans dont mess about, if the kids fussy or whiney they advise you to take straight to private dentist who will have more time to deal with it. My youngest refuses to go near the van.

Private dental plans cover a % of treatment, strict limits apply to what and how much you can claim.

Children dont get free prescriptions either.
Our daughter will definitely need orthodontic work in Aus as our dentist says she is too young to start treatment here inthe UK.
Has anyone had a child have braces in Aus... any stories/tips on how to find suitable dentist would help as this is something we will have to find when we settle down under.
Just want to get the job done without being stung for a bigger more expensive job than is necessary if you see what i mean!!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:22 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
We take our kids to a dentist which is designated as the school dentist. We paid $27 a visit. My girl had quite a bit of work done.

The MIL just had a quote for a crown a $1200. If she needed 2 it would be cheaper for her to fly to the UK and get them done .
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

Orthodontist will cost 3-5 000, depeding on city (for metal and ceramic. Transparent are dearer) . Plus retainers. Usually paid over 3 years.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Our dentist charges $105 for a simple extraction & $75 for a check-up, clean & polish. No charge for xrays, he gives you a referral to the xray clinic & its bulkbilled. I cant remember how much it was for one of our sons to have a small filling a couple of months back, but it was the same amount as our private health cover reimburses you, so we paid nothing for it! I will have to check & see if I can find the receipt. Adult filling was more, but I cant remember how much. All this is in Brisbane of course, not Sydney.

As for kids & dental cover, our school has a dental clinic attached to it, they do a yearly check up & any basic work that needs doing is free, but as jad&rich said, it doesnt cover orthodontics. Our boys just went on Wednesday, they did a new procedure on them which fills in the "gaps" in the adult teeth, which stops food & plaque building up in there, so no decay. Does anyone know, does the school dental cover extend to high school or is it only primary school?

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 24th 2005 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Add bit about Brisbane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.