Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

demerits and english drivers license HELP

demerits and english drivers license HELP

Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:31 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: demerits and english drivers license HELP

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Are any of you familiar with the offence called attempting to pervert the course of justice?

I'm not sure what they call it here, but there's bound to be something similar. And I imagine the fine will be much more than the two driving matters combined. I imagine that the nomination form to inform the RTA who was driving will be considered a legal document, and lying on it will be considered pretty gravely.

I would admit that it was you driving, pay the fine, and say that you didn't realise that you had to change your licence. I thought that a Commonwealth driving licence would cover me etc.

Don't start mucking around with bogus driver nominations, or you will end up like that judge geezer in the news who nominated some dead friend. He's off to prison I believe...

S
Swervo is giving very good advice here! Take it if I was you !
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:36 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
What visa are you on? You only need a NSW licence if you are a permanent resident and have been here more than 2 years.
Not sure about the timescales mentioned, but if you drive with a UK licence in NSW you are meant to carry your UK passport with you at all times.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:42 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

From the RTA website:

"Visitors
If you do not intend to stay in NSW and do not hold a permanent visa, you will be regarded as a visiting driver. If you hold a current overseas driver licence you are not required to get a NSW licence even if your stay is longer than three months"

I don't think you need to carry your passport with you, only your driving licence. I have been stop a couple of times and never been asked for my passport.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

My young brother was caught speeding and showed his UK driving licence. The Police Officer knew that my brother had been over here for at least three years and gave him 2 hours to get a WA driving Licence or he would book him for driving unlicenced aswell.

Needless to say, my brother drove straight to the Licence place and got himself a WA driving licence.

Good of the Police Officer to do that, bad of my brother to take the piss and not get a WA licence when he should have done.

I do not share the same surname as my wife, (we both chose to keep our own surnames after getting married. This was a blessing as when I got pulled up for speeding in my wifes car (Registered in her name), I put on the old "terribly sorry old chap but I am here on holiday" british accent. Produced my british driving licence and got off with a warning. It was obviously going to be too hard for the Officer to get the paperwork sorted. Saved me a couple of hundred dollars.

Barney
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cairnsexpat
The following represents a cunning plan ........ possibly unscrupulous ....... and to be taken only after careful consideration.
Your husband would need to nominate someone else as the driver with a forwarding address in UK. The ticket will get sent on to that address and can then be settled from overseas without declaring a license no.
If the license no. is given, then Licensing authority will tag the UK license no. so that if you ever apply for AUS license, you will be awarded the points in retrospect.
I have acquired this information from a trusted source.
Possibly "unscrupulous"? Don't you mean "definitely illegal"???

Is your "trusted source" planning on going to court for you when you are charged?