Reload this Page >

Defence housing?!

Defence housing?!

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Jessica_Hunter22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Defence housing?!

Hi there

It's all getting a bit serious now, visa is in and medicals are pending.
My self and my husband are looking to be in Nowra (NSW) by late may or early June. He has been offered a job with the AU navy and we shall be staying in defence housing initially then looking to buy!

Still in the early stages of our visa we are unsure of how the move will work so if there are any sailors/wives/husbands out there who can shed some light on this situation who may have done he same thing I'd really appreciate it!

General info required really, how the shipping went and which areas to avoid or that you recommend, and for myself advice on how to go about looking for a job!

Many thanks x Jess x
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defence housing?!

Hi Jessica. Welcome to the forum.

My OH transferred to the ADF (army) 4 years ago. There are some great groups on Facebook for Defence, with one specifically for OLTs such as us. These can give you great info on Defence Housing and areas which you may not get here.

Once you've posted a couple more times I can pm you with the links if you'd like x.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic x thanks Gillian x

Wow so how did everything go for you guys? Where abouts are you living?

Can't thank you enough for your reply x I'm still getting used to the idea really so would rather be flooded with info than treat it as an adventure! Lee is quite happy as he has the security of his job to go to but for me I'm just hoping to find work and I'm leaving my family behind x don't get me wrong I am so excited but I feel a little out if the loop and if I had a bit more understanding of the goings in I might feel a bit more confident and a little less apprehensive x

Thanks again x

Jesse xx
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jessica...half of the Fleet Air Arm has transferred to Nowra and there is a big UK expat community there. I am ex FAA myself and live further up towards Sydney but often visit mates down there socially or on business.
You may find that there is no actual Defence Housing for you so you will get a rental allowance to find your own place. One area to avoid is East Nowra, used to be all Defence Housing and is now the overspill from Redfearn and not the best of places!! Shipping takes about 6 weeks so ask for a temp Serviced Accommodation on initial arrival, that will also allow you to look around the area, meet new colleagues and find out from them the areas to avoid.
Jobs are not plentiful and depends on your situation (kids etc) and your skills, Nowra can be a bit dull but it is improving and its close to all the beaches of Jervis Bay.
Anything you need to know just ask. What trade is your OH (AEM/Aircrew/Handler?). They have just opened up the Aircraft Handler branch in the RAN and a small group of ex FAA guys are here now setting up the branch and the training. I'm ex Aircrewman by the way and have bumped into loads of other aircrew and maintainers I used to know at Culdrose.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks paddyo x interesting indeed x
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jess. I've sent you a pm x