Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are decorators needed?

Are decorators needed?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:05 am
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default Re: Are decorators needed?

Just to throw a spanner in the works a painter in Adelaide told me that the local painters were crap and especially at paperhanging
don't shoot the messenger
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Originally Posted by painter man
Just to throw a spanner in the works a painter in Adelaide told me that the local painters were crap and especially at paperhanging

thats good they need some decent ones then
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by painter man

You,re not wrong on the painting front, just sacked ours and are doing it ourselves instead. Sure as hell not paying for something a small child could have done better.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

I'm Queensland, so not really relevant for you, but you could try approaching builders. Dixon Homes are advertising for good people. It sounds like there are a lot of cowboys out there, so good people will be appreciated by the builders. You could get experience in the local market then set yourself up to go solo. Q
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:41 am
Just Joined

paulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nice

Originally Posted by quercus
I'm Queensland, so not really relevant for you, but you could try approaching builders. Dixon Homes are advertising for good people. It sounds like there are a lot of cowboys out there, so good people will be appreciated by the builders. You could get experience in the local market then set yourself up to go solo. Q
Thanks for your advise and info, been working for myself for 20 years, so I would like to be able to go on my own again intime, I have over 18 months of work infront of me here in the UK with my regular customers, as they all will wait that long for me to get round to them, but I still want to come to Australia and perhaps build up the same regular customer base.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:11 am
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=LeeLee;6392375]If you can piss you can paint

Stroke a dog you can paint a wall !
City and guilds painting??????????????????????
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=jasonlec;6426858]
Originally Posted by LeeLee
If you can piss you can paint

How many people bother to prepare correctly and do a conscientious job? A good decorator will soon build a solid client base.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

paulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nice

[QUOTE=jasonlec;6426858]
Originally Posted by LeeLee
If you can piss you can paint

Earnt over 50k last year so must be doing something right
City and Guild painting????????????????????

Stroke a dog you can paint a wall

Who are you, Poet Lawriet

Do you need me to explain that to you??????
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:22 am
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont take it to heart fella, but, check your spelling "lawriet"
Earnt over 50k last year, good on ya, who are you charging?
Fact is we can all big up ourselves an say we are bloody good at what we do, me I reckon I'm an ok sparky, but technical wise I have a need to know and comprehend a damn site more than hanging a roll of paper or opening a pot of paint.
Back to the main prob, take everything with a pinch of salt mate because I dont think for some strange reason oz types (or any other bugger) will take kindly to you shouting the odds about how fantastic you are @ painting and decorating, when to quote others on threads you are on a par with cleaners etc, no disrespect to them either, just dont make it out to be rocket science or the next big thing
POET LAUREATE
Education is a wonderful thing,but so is a sense of humour
[QUOTE=paulkimoliver;6431924]
Originally Posted by jasonlec
Earnt over 50k last year so must be doing something right
City and Guild painting????????????????????

Stroke a dog you can paint a wall

Who are you, Poet Lawriet

Do you need me to explain that to you??????
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

A good P&D will always find work.

But if you have 2 years work booked in over here I would do a lot more research before jumping ship and moving to Aus.

Why do you want to move? What is it about Perth in particular that attracts you? Where in Perth do you want to live and why? Have you ever been to Aus? Do you know anything about the Aussie lifestyle, culture etc.

Australia is NOT Utopia, it is NOT the answer to all your problems and it is most definitely NOT the UK with sunshine as some people seem to believe. It has it's own social and economic problems and life there is not all sunshine and barbies.

A friend of mine is a migration agent, lives here at the moment but is from Perth, one of his mates in Perth is a P&D and he has 'more work than he can shake a stick at'. But then so does his son who is a brickie and according to various threads on here there isn't any work for brickies in Perth.

If you have really looked deeply into this and want to move for the right reasons I would say go for it but if it's just a case of the grass being greener, it very rarely is.

All the best.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

I,ve been in the trade a very long time and have always found it, better to be humble and impress than conceited and deflate .... And never talk about how much you make
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:40 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
I,ve been in the trade a very long time and have always found it, better to be humble and impress than conceited and deflate .... And never talk about how much you make
mmmmmmm, interesting post

my OH is a 'city and guilds' painter and decorator, working here in NSW, not for himself, but for one of the biggest companies in Newcastle.

i will blow his trumpet here - he is a good painter and decorator. and no, it isnt a case of 'stroking a dog and you can paint a wall'. he has seen some gawd awful people who claim they can paint over here. people will go from job to job, obtaining a little more experience each time in the trade they claim they can do, before being sacked. a good tradesman can tell whether someone can paint by their first brush stroke. my OH boss has advertised for painters for the first time in ages and had not one reply, yet he is the biggest in Newcastle. there simply arent enough tradesmen to go around, so the crap one just make the rounds. in fact, they aren't trademen, just people who think they can paint - ('if you can stroke a dog, you can paint' type people!) the good ones are hung on to. i reckon self employed is the way to go, but financially for us, isnt an option at the moment. we need the stability of a wage each week.

dont be too disrespectful to people that have served their time and done the course as a trademan please no it isnt rocket science, but it does take skill.

to the OP, i did mention to OH about this post when i first read it. i dont know whether his boss would sponsor someone. however you did mention Perth, so i didn't persue it.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Sleeping Beauty;6440872]mmmmmmm, interesting post

there simply arent enough tradesmen to go around, so the crap one just make the rounds. QUOTE]

Thats cos all the good ones are working for themselves (present company excepted)
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Man City Over 35s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hairart
Painter & Decorators are on the MODL, it was added last july to the list so i would imagine there are jobs out there or it wouldn't have been added surely.

My husband is an 'A' class Painter & Decorator too, we are heading to Adelaide later on this year, and he hopes to start up on his own. He already has a job to do for family when we get there and hopefuly this will lead to more, and they have their own buisness, so they can point him in the right direction as far as registration and tax etc is concerned. He has been self a self employed Painter & Decorator for 30 years and has never needed to advertise, and has an excellent reputation. He has even said he would do a couple of days work for nothing, if he had to, just to prove the quality of his work.

good luck with everything, i hope it all works out for you.
I started on my own 9 years ago in Adelaide after moving from UK in 1997.
I have built up a good reputation, my problem has been finding good tradesmen to help me.
Give me call when you get to Adelaide, would be good to help you out if i can.

regards
Paul
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Man City Over 35s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver
Are there any quality decorators out there that can help me, not brush hands or cowboys. Are there quality decorators needed in Perth, I am city and guild advanced qualified and been self employed for twenty years, have 2 years work ahead of me here in UK but willing to give it all up for life in Aus. Any one know any top companies that may require top people. Sorry for blowing my own trumpet, but I am very good.
Come to Adelaide Paul, lots of Wallpapering to do, they can't do it here!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.