British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are decorators needed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/decorators-needed-538801/)

paulkimoliver May 25th 2008 3:40 am

Are decorators needed?

Are there any quality decorators out there that can help me, not brush hands or cowboys. Are there quality decorators needed in Perth, I am city and guild advanced qualified and been self employed for twenty years, have 2 years work ahead of me here in UK but willing to give it all up for life in Aus. Any one know any top companies that may require top people. Sorry for blowing my own trumpet, but I am very good. :thumbup:

LeeLee May 25th 2008 4:17 am

Re: Are decorators needed?

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver (Post 6392303)
Are there any quality decorators out there that can help me, not brush hands or cowboys. Are there quality decorators needed in Perth, I am city and guild advanced qualified and been self employed for twenty years, have 2 years work ahead of me here in UK but willing to give it all up for life in Aus. Any one know any top companies that may require top people. Sorry for blowing my own trumpet, but I am very good. :thumbup:

If you can piss you can paint :rofl::D

Seriously, the best thing to do is to see if your trade is needed. If you try WWW.VETASSESS.COM this will give you the SOL LIST which states what trades are needed in Aus.What ever happens you will have to obtain a visa which is a long process even if everything is relatively simple.(I'm a carpenter and the visa will take around a year and will cost around £2000 without an agent) If you wanted a company to sponser you then this is quite a bit more difficult as you have to find an employer first then you are tied to them for a couple of years(that's only if they sponser you in the first place!) Something that i'm not that familiar with. Hope this helps and good luck!:thumbsup:

Lee

paulkimoliver May 25th 2008 4:31 am

Thanks for reply

Yes, the old ones are the best!

I have had my TRA accessed and was positive and WA state sponsorship has been accepted, so yes they do want me, but that does not mean there is actually any work there.

LeeLee May 25th 2008 4:36 am

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver (Post 6392388)
Thanks for reply

Yes, the old ones are the best!

I have had my TRA accessed and was positive and WA state sponsorship has been accepted, so yes they do want me, but that does not mean there is actually any work there.

Have you tried job search engines?

hairart May 25th 2008 6:21 am

Painter & Decorators are on the MODL, it was added last july to the list so i would imagine there are jobs out there or it wouldn't have been added surely.

My husband is an 'A' class Painter & Decorator too, we are heading to Adelaide later on this year, and he hopes to start up on his own. He already has a job to do for family when we get there and hopefuly this will lead to more, and they have their own buisness, so they can point him in the right direction as far as registration and tax etc is concerned. He has been self a self employed Painter & Decorator for 30 years and has never needed to advertise, and has an excellent reputation. He has even said he would do a couple of days work for nothing, if he had to, just to prove the quality of his work.

good luck with everything, i hope it all works out for you. ;)

pagey67 May 25th 2008 6:47 am

Try looking here

http://olps.thewest.com.au/olps/employment/home.do

paulkimoliver May 25th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by hairart (Post 6392642)
Painter & Decorators are on the MODL, it was added last july to the list so i would imagine there are jobs out there or it wouldn't have been added surely.

My husband is an 'A' class Painter & Decorator too, we are heading to Adelaide later on this year, and he hopes to start up on his own. He already has a job to do for family when we get there and hopefuly this will lead to more, and they have their own buisness, so they can point him in the right direction as far as registration and tax etc is concerned. He has been self a self employed Painter & Decorator for 30 years and has never needed to advertise, and has an excellent reputation. He has even said he would do a couple of days work for nothing, if he had to, just to prove the quality of his work.

good luck with everything, i hope it all works out for you. ;)

Thanks for your reply, your husband and I seem to be on the same level, I have never had to advertise either, I understood that you had to employ 3 australian citizens if you started up your own buisness, perhaps I have this wrong, as I would much prefer to work for myself still

Paul

hairart May 25th 2008 8:14 am

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver (Post 6392931)
Thanks for your reply, your husband and I seem to be on the same level, I have never had to advertise either, I understood that you had to employ 3 australian citizens if you started up your own buisness, perhaps I have this wrong, as I would much prefer to work for myself still

Paul

not sure about that, we'll look into it when we get there. i thought that was if you were going on a buisness visa, i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. :)

paulkimoliver May 31st 2008 1:54 am

I have looked into the issue of working for yourself and if you go out on a 176 visa you can work for yourself or someone else, and you was right that it is the buisness visa that requires you to have to employ 3 ausi citizens. Thanks for that info, that changes everything for me as I have applied for the 176 and having worked for myself for 20 years it was daunting to have to work for someone again.

hairart May 31st 2008 2:13 am

brilliant, i thought that was the case. not only that you'll proberbly earn more money working for yourself. It'll be knowing how to price the jobs to begin with. Good Luck with it all, and lets hope the exchange rate improves.

northernbird May 31st 2008 2:31 am

I just had a very nice man paint in my home (hi Mark and Maggy) and he can't get anyone NOR in Perth to help him for love nor money.

wardy2 May 31st 2008 3:12 am

we have just returned from Perth and I got talking to an Irish lady whose husband has his own decorating firm. Despite advertising week in and week out he cant find anyone to work for him and cannot do all the work he has been offered because of it.

She said that many painters are going to work for the mining companies and earning the big bucks there, therefore theres no skilled workers in the suburbs.

I'm sure you will have no bother finding work.

raven May 31st 2008 8:08 pm

just to let u know i have been working here for nearly 2 years nowand the standard of work is much higher than in the uk.The different paints and terms take some getting used to but basiically its still painting. i am in Qld so i cannot comment on western aus
Raven

stariston May 31st 2008 8:55 pm

i

Looking in a Saturday addition of the Manley Daily (Sydney)there are up to
40 Adds for painters advertising for work i would think it very
competitive as cleaners and removalists are about the same,Also in NSW
its classed as a licenced trade so you need a licence

paulkimoliver Jun 1st 2008 5:40 am

Originally Posted by raven (Post 6421210)
just to let u know i have been working here for nearly 2 years nowand the standard of work is much higher than in the uk.The different paints and terms take some getting used to but basiically its still painting. i am in Qld so i cannot comment on western aus
Raven

Thanks Raven

I am glad to hear the standards are higher in Aus, as a perfectionist, it is so frustrating what some people get away with here in the UK.