Decision Time!!

Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:16 pm
sula

Question Decision Time!!

I have been offered a full time, permanent job with a good relocation package!
The downside is that it is Canberra! Ideally we wanted to return to Brisbane but this seems too good any offer to turn down.

Time is running out for us as we only have nine months left on our PR visa's.

Having tried unsuccessfully to find employment in Brisbane two years ago, I think that this could be our only chance to move back to Oz and make a go of things.

I will be tied into the job for two years and after that it may be easier to find employment in Brisbane.

I have ten days to make up my mind!!!!

Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision Time!!

Originally Posted by sula
The downside is that it is Canberra! Ideally we wanted to return to Brisbane but this seems too good any offer to turn down.

Having tried unsuccessfully to find employment in Brisbane two years ago, I think that this could be our only chance to move back to Oz and make a go of things.

I will be tied into the job for two years and after that it may be easier to find employment in Brisbane.

If you're serious about settling in Australia - it sounds like the offer of a job in Canberra is too good to turn down.

Canberra's a nice city and not isolated - Sydney is not much more than 3 hours drive away (freeway all the way) and the beaches of southern NSW about 2 hours.

Realistically, if you get Australian work experience in Canberra it will likely be much easier to find a job in Brisbane in 2-3 years time if you feel then that Canberra is not for you.

Concerning your PR visa, you really don't have much time to establish yourself in Australia. Once you can show you are *living* in Australia (and are employed in Australia) you may be able to get a resident return visa without having spent the full 2 years in Australia. Don't even think about travelling (once the 9 months are passed) without an RRV in your passport.

You won't get any flexibility on the citizenship requirement - the 2 years is nearly universally enforced (and reasonably so, because it's not a long time in comparison with other countries).

In your shoes - I'd go to Canberra, stick with it, and then in 2/3 years try Brisbane if Canberra didn't work. You should be citizens by then and could even try New Zealand or go back to the UK if you wished without any problems returning to Australia later.

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:44 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. Canberra aint so bad. Skiing during the winter and really really cheap flights to Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sula,

If you really want to return to Aus I would suggest you seriously consider accepting the job.

2 years in the grand scheme of things is not a long time and who knows you may like Canberra.

I guess you would be tied for 2 years due to a contract ?

Things happen for a reason and maybe this is fate giving you a foot in the door. It will certainly be easier to move onto Brissie and find work from within Aus. Remember also that having employment in Aus will increase your chances of finding another job. You will be seen in a different light by prospective employers.

Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:46 pm
sula

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you're serious about settling in Australia - it sounds like the offer of a job in Canberra is too good to turn down.

Canberra's a nice city and not isolated - Sydney is not much more than 3 hours drive away (freeway all the way) and the beaches of southern NSW about 2 hours.

Realistically, if you get Australian work experience in Canberra it will likely be much easier to find a job in Brisbane in 2-3 years time if you feel then that Canberra is not for you.

Concerning your PR visa, you really don't have much time to establish yourself in Australia. Once you can show you are *living* in Australia (and are employed in Australia) you may be able to get a resident return visa without having spent the full 2 years in Australia. Don't even think about travelling (once the 9 months are passed) without an RRV in your passport.

You won't get any flexibility on the citizenship requirement - the 2 years is nearly universally enforced (and reasonably so, because it's not a long time in comparison with other countries).

In your shoes - I'd go to Canberra, stick with it, and then in 2/3 years try Brisbane if Canberra didn't work. You should be citizens by then and could even try New Zealand or go back to the UK if you wished without any problems returning to Australia later.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy for that.
My son who will be eighteen next year wants to finish his college course in the Uk before returning to Oz in 2006. Is there any chance of him getting a R R Visa? He will be spending a couple of months with us in Oz next year before his visa expires and he returns to the UK to finish his course.

Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Go for it life is too short to risk filling it with regrets.
I think if you dont go you could end up saying I wish i had , after all you can always come back but if you lose this chance it just gets harder and harder from here
good luck Mary
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeremy for that.
My son who will be eighteen next year wants to finish his college course in the Uk before returning to Oz in 2006. Is there any chance of him getting a R R Visa? He will be spending a couple of months with us in Oz next year before his visa expires and he returns to the UK to finish his course.
There's probably not much chance of him getting an RRV in his own right. If you get RRVs (which is not guaranteed) he would be able to get an RRV based on that *provided* he was still a dependent at that point.

Simple piece of advice - for anyone other than an expert in visa rules it's inherently dangerous to live outside Australia when the PR visa is close to expiry. Far too many people have lost their PR that way, including many older children just like your son.

Is there any way he can transfer to an Australian course and finish his study in Australia?

If you must adopt the study in UK + resident return visa route, get professional advice immediately.

Be warned that if he does lose his PR and can't get an RRV, once he's turned 18 it will likely be very hard to sponsor him for migration.

Jeremy
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:13 pm
sula

Originally Posted by JAJ
There's probably not much chance of him getting an RRV in his own right. If you get RRVs (which is not guaranteed) he would be able to get an RRV based on that *provided* he was still a dependent at that point.

Simple piece of advice - for anyone other than an expert in visa rules it's inherently dangerous to live outside Australia when the PR visa is close to expiry. Far too many people have lost their PR that way, including many older children just like your son.

Is there any way he can transfer to an Australian course and finish his study in Australia?

If you must adopt the study in UK + resident return visa route, get professional advice immediately.

Be warned that if he does lose his PR and can't get an RRV, once he's turned 18 it will likely be very hard to sponsor him for migration.

Jeremy
The company who have offered me the job are also offering PR sponsorship for me and my family.I told them that we don't need it because we already have PR, is it possible to apply for another visa when you already have one? This may be a way of securing PR for my son, as he is adament that he wants to complete his course in the UK?

Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:40 am
JAJ
Retired

The company who have offered me the job are also offering PR sponsorship for me and my family.I told them that we don't need it because we already have PR, is it possible to apply for another visa when you already have one? This may be a way of securing PR for my son, as he is adament that he wants to complete his course in the UK?
Actually it is possible under the law. However there are a load of risks and issues involved. For example, if you got an RSMS visa, which is a PR visa (and may be what the company have in mind, as it's Canberra, which is RSMS eligible) then the visa could be cancelled if you left the company within 2 years. And then you'd have to go home to the UK.

If your son is adamant about doing his course in the UK, then a concessional Resident Return Visa application for you once you are *settled* in Australia is probably the best way to go. Your son would probably then be able to apply for an RRV in the UK based on yours.

However - unless you are happy to risk him getting stranded in the UK without any way of getting to live in Australia, you should hire a *good* migration agent immediately to handle this process and advise on the best timing of things. Ask on the forum for recommendations, or ask on the immigration forum.

If you try to do it yourself, the risk of him ending up in a visa mess due to confusion is just too high. Far too many people in situations like yours have discovered this the hard way.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:00 am
sula

Originally Posted by JAJ
Actually it is possible under the law. However there are a load of risks and issues involved. For example, if you got an RSMS visa, which is a PR visa (and may be what the company have in mind, as it's Canberra, which is RSMS eligible) then the visa could be cancelled if you left the company within 2 years. And then you'd have to go home to the UK.

If your son is adamant about doing his course in the UK, then a concessional Resident Return Visa application for you once you are *settled* in Australia is probably the best way to go. Your son would probably then be able to apply for an RRV in the UK based on yours.

However - unless you are happy to risk him getting stranded in the UK without any way of getting to live in Australia, you should hire a *good* migration agent immediately to handle this process and advise on the best timing of things. Ask on the forum for recommendations, or ask on the immigration forum.

If you try to do it yourself, the risk of him ending up in a visa mess due to confusion is just too high. Far too many people in situations like yours have discovered this the hard way.

Jeremy
Thanks,
I'll start making some enquiries.

Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, do it. I know we all give Canberra a hard time, but it's not all that bad. The centre itself might be a little, erm, dull, but some of the areas around Canberra are beautiful. And it's only for 2 years, right?

Ask ScutterUK what he thinks of Canberra - he moved there in the last couple of weeks.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:23 pm
sula

Originally Posted by bundy
Yep, do it. I know we all give Canberra a hard time, but it's not all that bad. The centre itself might be a little, erm, dull, but some of the areas around Canberra are beautiful. And it's only for 2 years, right?

Ask ScutterUK what he thinks of Canberra - he moved there in the last couple of weeks.

Good idea! I think that he's having too good a time to post on here at the moment!

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I will let you know what we decide.

Cheers!

Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sula,
Irrespective of your decision remain positive in your thoughts.

Whether yes or no continue life with the knowledge you made the decision that suited you. Have no regrets either way.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea! I think that he's having too good a time to post on here at the moment!

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I will let you know what we decide.

Cheers!
Go for it Sula. Only live once, long time dead, and what's two years. Loads of folks here have spent more time than that trying to get their visas.

Enjoy the ride.