Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decision made...Family need convincing..

Decision made...Family need convincing..

Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:00 pm
a man with a mission

Amocs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decision made...Family need convincing..

I have finally decided that the life i experienced a few years back in Melbourne is the Life for me and my family.
I loved all aspects of the life in OZ, and a few years working in Melbourne has kept me on edge for a few years always wanting, but never quite deciding that this is the best thing i can do for my young family. 1 partial application for a Skilled Independent visa has given me confidence that it will not be to problematic getting a Visa, however i am finding it hard to convince my wife that selling up our property in the busy South East and moving to Australia is going to bring many rewards.
Any posters got similar experiences? What factors did you use to decide?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made...Family need convincing..

Coming from the other side, I would always say to remember that one man's dream is another man's nightmare. Your wife shouldnt have to be convinced, she should want to grab the chance with both hands!!! Also, if you can possibly do it, dont burn any bridges, hang on to your property there so if it all goes belly up you can go back again. If it works then you win but if it doesnt then you havent lost as much.

IMHO it is always going to be harder for the woman in the family, especially if she is a SAHM with kids. Moving to a new country without a support network can be incredibly stressful and there really isnt the same sense of community here that there is in the place that you have grown up in. For the bloke who goes off to work every day and hangs out with his mates there isnt the same sense of isolation.

I think you need to sit down and discuss it as dispassionately as you can - you saying why you want to go and she saying what her reservations are and then taking each point to see if there is a compromise position. Maybe commiting to a 2 year stay would be one thing and then evaluate from there. If you try and browbeat her into it then you are going to have to live with a very unhappy wife.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:11 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Decision made...Family need convincing..

Originally Posted by Amocs
I have finally decided that the life i experienced a few years back in Melbourne is the Life for me and my family.
I loved all aspects of the life in OZ, and a few years working in Melbourne has kept me on edge for a few years always wanting, but never quite deciding that this is the best thing i can do for my young family. 1 partial application for a Skilled Independent visa has given me confidence that it will not be to problematic getting a Visa, however i am finding it hard to convince my wife that selling up our property in the busy South East and moving to Australia is going to bring many rewards.
Any posters got similar experiences? What factors did you use to decide?
Has your wife ever been? if not maybe a holiday over there should help her decide and it's hard not to love melbourne