Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania - what's to like?

Tasmania - what's to like?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold
Default Tasmania - what's to like?

My hubs has just been offered a job in Tasmania, based in Hobart - but having visited there (on his own) for the interview has decided that he doesn't like it as it's too cold and too dry. He says that everywhere he drove, the grass was brown and the wind was cold the whole time, even though it's summer. Now, I'm desperate for us to move as we're staying in the granny house at my in-law's on the Gold Coast. We've been there for just over three months and living in a two room 'house' when you've got two children aged 2 and 4 isn't fun... plus, there have been zero vacancies for my hubs to even apply for in this area let alone pick and choose (he's an artist), and the house prices on the Gold Coast have shot through the roof since we first started coming out here 7 years ago.

Could anyone who's actually living in Tassie fill me in on what it's like there? On paper, it really appeals to me as I find the humidity here a bit much and like the thought of having proper seasons again. Is it really brown and cold?? If you had the choice to move to Tassie again, would you do it?

We've got this weekend to decide whether or not he'll take the job and I'd love to know more about Tassie from those who know rather than hubs 'I like the sunshine and don't want to move too far away from my parents' panicky version!

Ta for any info at all
Sarah (Happy Australia Day to everyone even though I'm fed up in Queensland!)
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all
Default Re: Tasmania - what's to like?

We lived in Tassie for 40 years, all our lives, and have moved to the Gold Coast and do not plan to return to live only to visit family. We have a daughter still in Hobart and other family on the North West Coast.

Tassie is a beautiful place with some really wonderful scenery. A lot of Tassie is dry and brown during Summer as there is little rain, however, it all greens back up again very quickly as March fades into April.

Mt. Wellington is the backdrop to all of Hobart so in Winter when the snow falls on the mountain the temps in Hobart are very very cool and the wind that whips off that mountain is freezing! However, Summer is usually very very nice with temps hovering in the mid 20'sC with the occassional 30oC thrown in. Autumn and Spring are also a little cool when comparing to the rest of Australia. You can get 4 seasons in one day in Tassie quite a bit, its just how it is there.

But Hobart is my pick of places to live in all of Tassie as being the Capital it has a lot more on offer. You are close to the East Coast with its many beautiful beaches and only 2 1/2 hrs to Launceston. There are some great eating places at Salamanca and Nth Hobart.

I dont care what anyone says though, Tassie is a cold state a lot of the time and Summer seems to pass so quickly, sure, you can look at a site that will tell you Hobart has one of the lowest rainfalls in all of Aust., and whilst that may be true, it doesnt change the fact that its very cold in Winter, you can have cold without heaps of rain! I hated the end of daylight savings as that seemed to bring home that the warm weather was all over red rover and the cold was a coming!

One of the main reasons we left was the weather. We just got tired of the short Summers and the long Winters. We wanted to be able to spend more time outside without the need for coat, scarf, hat and gloves. We also felt our kids would have more opportunities career wise once they left school. But weather aside, Tassie is a very picturesque state and if you love 4 wheel driving, fishing, camping,boating, then Tassie is your dream state.

And Hobart wont stay 'brown' for long. It just dries off over the Summer. But it is one of the coldest places in Tassie during Winter as its in the South of the state and Mt Wellington is the backdrop. Hobart is a warmer place in the Summer though.

If your husband went to Tassie straight from Qld then he would notice the drop in temps a lot more. But I am not going to tell you Tassie isnt cold, it can be very cold in Winter, especially in Hobart. But Summer can be very very nice in Hobart, like this Summer, they have had/are having, a lovely Summer with nice temps at present.

I hope this info. helps some what. I would hate to see someone give up a job offer in Tassie on my say but you wanted to know about the weather and having been born and bred in Tassie I think I can offer some spot on advice with regards to the weather.

Half a million people live in Tassie so it must have something going for it. By the way, you are only a short 50 min. plane trip to Melbourne when you feel like a change of scenery or more shopping choices.