Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decision made the dog is coming - what next?

Decision made the dog is coming - what next?

Old May 16th 2008, 7:11 pm
MDA
Forum Regular

MDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the rough
Default Decision made the dog is coming - what next?

Hi all

I am sorry to post a new thread, I am sure the answer that I am looking for is here somewhere but for some reason I cannot search. Have never had a problem with searching before but today every key word I enter says there is nothing matching. I even tried the word "help" and even that found nothing!

Anyway, after much discussion as to whether or not we can really afford to take the dog we have decided that we would miss her/and her us so we will go without something else and use the money to pay for her to come with us.

What do I do next? I haven't got a clue where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could you also please tell me how long they have to be in quarantine for and if they do it in the UK or Australia, we are going to Perth.

Thanks

Mandy
Old May 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Decision made the dog is coming - what next?

Originally Posted by MDA
Hi all

I am sorry to post a new thread, I am sure the answer that I am looking for is here somewhere but for some reason I cannot search. Have never had a problem with searching before but today every key word I enter says there is nothing matching. I even tried the word "help" and even that found nothing!

Anyway, after much discussion as to whether or not we can really afford to take the dog we have decided that we would miss her/and her us so we will go without something else and use the money to pay for her to come with us.

What do I do next? I haven't got a clue where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could you also please tell me how long they have to be in quarantine for and if they do it in the UK or Australia, we are going to Perth.

Thanks

Mandy

Hi,
do not know too much about this yet but we will be taking our dog with us when we manage to sell our house.
The dogs will need 30 days quarantine in Australia, i am sure there is a quarantine station in Perth you can try googling it (we will need Brisbane so have to use Sydney quarantine).
Your best option would be to find a pet carrier who will quote you and help with all the additional paperwork I have had a quote from http://www.airpets.co.uk/ as we live near to Heathrow they offer a lot of help and advice, your vet may also help with advice.

Claire
Old May 16th 2008, 10:19 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Start here...

AQIS
Old May 17th 2008, 3:02 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

I am using petair and am very pleased with the service so far. Emails are answered immediately and Bob is just lovely, even when I phone him at home on a saturday morning in a panic (for no reason!).
Old May 17th 2008, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blossom
I am using petair and am very pleased with the service so far. Emails are answered immediately and Bob is just lovely, even when I phone him at home on a saturday morning in a panic (for no reason!).
LMAO, he'll be pleased when you move then lol.

Old May 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
MDA
Forum Regular

MDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your replies. I have plenty to go on for now.

I am sure there will be more questions along the way.

Thanks again.

Mandy
Old May 26th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Hey all, I considered bringing our dog out but it seems that if we decide to come back(to Ireland) she will have to go into quarantine kennels for 6MONTHS.
Is that the same for the UK?
I feel that this would be very unfair to her as she hates being alone.
Also the cost is another consideration for us.
I know she will miss us but my mum will look after her for us. It breaks my heart to leave her tho'!
Old May 26th 2008, 10:06 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My advice to everyone with a dog is take them, I know its expensive and traumatic, but its so worth it when you have them there and its lots easier to settle with your best pal there to cuddle. One less person to miss. Cant remember who we used now, maybe airpets, but they were fine and my dog was fine and we are so glad we brought her... she loves it here and she even has a Aussie doggie friend now.

Good luck to you all xx
Old May 26th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bailey1
Hey all, I considered bringing our dog out but it seems that if we decide to come back(to Ireland) she will have to go into quarantine kennels for 6MONTHS.
Is that the same for the UK?
I feel that this would be very unfair to her as she hates being alone.
Also the cost is another consideration for us.
I know she will miss us but my mum will look after her for us. It breaks my heart to leave her tho'!
I could be wrong but I'm sure someone mentioned before that if you get your dog the Rabies vaccine before you bring her over here then she will not have to do 6 months quarantine if you decide to go back. Cant see that U.K or Ireland is any different as you can freely take dogs between the two.
Tracie
Old May 26th 2008, 7:11 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I could be wrong but I'm sure someone mentioned before that if you get your dog the Rabies vaccine before you bring her over here then she will not have to do 6 months quarantine if you decide to go back. Cant see that U.K or Ireland is any different as you can freely take dogs between the two.
Tracie
Yes, see DEFRA for details how to do this...