debts

Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:32 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough
Question debts

just a quick one been reading some threads on here and just wondering about debts!!!
i have student loan outstanding what happens with this as i wont have 13,000 big ones to pay it off gonig spare???
also will prob have a few other things to pay can you pay them from overseas and keep uk bank account open?? would want to keep one open here anyway and paying everything off before i go will make process hell of a lot longer as i dont have house to seel and the capital it would prodce to pay off everything.

any advice?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debts

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
just a quick one been reading some threads on here and just wondering about debts!!!
i have student loan outstanding what happens with this as i wont have 13,000 big ones to pay it off gonig spare???
also will prob have a few other things to pay can you pay them from overseas and keep uk bank account open?? would want to keep one open here anyway and paying everything off before i go will make process hell of a lot longer as i dont have house to seel and the capital it would prodce to pay off everything.

any advice?
Yes, tell the loans company about your plans, and make an arrangement with them to pay monthly/quarterly/annually by standing order

Worst case scenario is that u r in oz, sending back part of your wages every single month.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:56 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, tell the loans company about your plans, and make an arrangement with them to pay monthly/quarterly/annually by standing order

Worst case scenario is that u r in oz, sending back part of your wages every single month.

thanks thought that was the case thought if i keep my uk acocunt open and transfer enough funds each month then there wont b a prob

thanks
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:27 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

Hi

Would it cost money to transfer money back to UK

Beth
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyhails

any advice?
Work hard pay off your debts then go, easy really

Australia isn't going anywhere and best to make a new start with a clean slate.

Oh and Aus$ will be harder/longer to pay off UK£ debts
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:12 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Work hard pay off your debts then go, easy really

Australia isn't going anywhere and best to make a new start with a clean slate.

Oh and Aus$ will be harder/longer to pay off UK£ debts

Agreed, try and get them down as much as possible b4 you go.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

I have student loans as well and managed to defer payment for a year. However now things are different and I am paying 100 pounds a month - that works out to be nearly $250 - which depending on your salary might not be so easy to do. We also had credit card debt which we were sure we'd pay off once we were here but 2 years on and we're still in exactly the same debt. Your UK debt might not seem much when you're earning pounds but once you're on dollars its a whole lot harder. I'd try to clear as much as you can before you come over.
When transferring from our Australian account (ANZ) its easy but it costs around $22 a transaction back to the UK. We've kept a UK account so we can transfer a lump sum back every month or so and save on the fees.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:08 pm

Cheers everyone

from jobs research looks like hopefully around $1600-1800 per fornight so sending a few $ over each month or every two months shouldnt be so bad, pain i agree but dont want to wait too long before i go, saying that dont plan to go for 1 months or so so debt will be less by then

thanks again
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:15 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Im not in that much debt, but enough. £3500. I decided to take on another job on the weekends to stop me from going out. Iv been able to put £700 / £800 a month towards it. Once its gone I'll either cut back on how many hours I do or jack it in. The sooner I have no debt, the sooner I can save more money.

The main down fall of this is Im so tired. 7 days a week dosnt do you any favours and the amount of time I spend with my mates.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Marcopolo
Im not in that much debt, but enough. £3500. I decided to take on another job on the weekends to stop me from going out. Iv been able to put £700 / £800 a month towards it. Once its gone I'll either cut back on how many hours I do or jack it in. The sooner I have no debt, the sooner I can save more money.

The main down fall of this is Im so tired. 7 days a week dosnt do you any favours and the amount of time I spend with my mates.

god i can imagine not sure if i am just too lazy for that but i suppose the money yuo save not being able to go out id a lot!! Well it woukd be for me
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bodge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

I'm in the same boat with a bit more debt and my husbands not sleeping worrying. We are planning to be in Melbourne within the next 4 months,so I think your suggestion might help my husband sleep. When do you think we should write to the loan companies?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marcopolo

Good on you, Marco ... You may be tired now, but you'll be glad you did it in the end...