Reload this Page >

Day's out during validation trip

Day's out during validation trip

Old May 3rd 2005, 10:42 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Day's out during validation trip

Hi guy's,

We're off to the Gold Coast on our validation holiday in 6 weeks time. I'm trying to get some ideas for things to do and places to see whilst we're there. We've pretty much got the fact finding side of the holiday organised and planned.

We're there for 20 days and I plan to have around 10 - 12 fact finding days and the rest for fun and enjoyment. I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas of things to do during this time. Obviously we're going to take in some of the theme parks, we're going to go to australia zoo, etc...

However, I'd like to spend a day in the hinterland catching some great views and maybe even a waterfall. Anyone know of any areas where we could see this. Any hinterland suggestions need to be suitable for my youngest who is 2.5 years old.

I'd also like to spend a couple of days doing things that we couldn't really do over here. Theme parks are pretty standard where ever you go in the world but what about other activities / days out. I'd quite like to go to one of the sand islands of the coast but I can't remember their names. The Mrs (Funkybuddah) fancies the Kuala sanctuary. Anyone got some suggestions for things to do in the evenings? We're also going to spend 2 or 3 days in Brisbane so if you've got any reccommendations for places to see and visit please reply.

Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Day's out during validation trip

Hi,

You could go to montville if you get through the zoo with time to spare. The views are great, there are some good national parks and waterfalls around the area too.

Terry
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:11 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elksa
Hi guy's,

We're off to the Gold Coast on our validation holiday in 6 weeks time. I'm trying to get some ideas for things to do and places to see whilst we're there. We've pretty much got the fact finding side of the holiday organised and planned.

We're there for 20 days and I plan to have around 10 - 12 fact finding days and the rest for fun and enjoyment. I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas of things to do during this time. Obviously we're going to take in some of the theme parks, we're going to go to australia zoo, etc...

However, I'd like to spend a day in the hinterland catching some great views and maybe even a waterfall. Anyone know of any areas where we could see this. Any hinterland suggestions need to be suitable for my youngest who is 2.5 years old.

I'd also like to spend a couple of days doing things that we couldn't really do over here. Theme parks are pretty standard where ever you go in the world but what about other activities / days out. I'd quite like to go to one of the sand islands of the coast but I can't remember their names. The Mrs (Funkybuddah) fancies the Kuala sanctuary. Anyone got some suggestions for things to do in the evenings? We're also going to spend 2 or 3 days in Brisbane so if you've got any reccommendations for places to see and visit please reply.

Thanks.
Hi Elksa

Snap! (well nearly) We are going on our validation holiday in 9 weeks, also to the Gold Coast. I too will be interested to read the replies.

Sorry can't give you any different ideas, so far we have decided on the theme parks, australia zoo and a few days in Brisbane.

Where are you staying whilst you are over there? We are staying at Mermaid Beach for 3 weeks.

Bet you are getting really excited I know we are.

Have fun and safe journey

Louise
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:53 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by louise
Hi Elksa

Snap! (well nearly) We are going on our validation holiday in 9 weeks, also to the Gold Coast. I too will be interested to read the replies.

Sorry can't give you any different ideas, so far we have decided on the theme parks, australia zoo and a few days in Brisbane.

Where are you staying whilst you are over there? We are staying at Mermaid Beach for 3 weeks.

Bet you are getting really excited I know we are.

Have fun and safe journey

Louise
No way how spooky is that, we're also staying in Meraid Beach. We're staying at the Turtle Beach Resort between 20 June - 9 July. When do you arrive?

Can't wait now not to long to go. Drove passed Heathrow on Sunday and we all started getting really nervous and excited at the same time watching the planes taking off.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

No way how spooky is that, we're also staying in Meraid Beach. We're staying at the Turtle Beach Resort between 20 June - 9 July. When do you arrive?

Can't wait now not to long to go. Drove passed Heathrow on Sunday and we all started getting really nervous and excited at the same time watching the planes taking off.

We are staying at Diamond Sands, we fly out in July from Heathrow.

We live in the North West so hundreds of miles from Heathrow, we have to make do with watching the planes at Manchester, it does get you all excited though doesn't it. Our boys keep telling everyone they are going to Australia and getting really excited (god help us on the journey!!!)

Louise

Last edited by louise; May 3rd 2005 at 12:46 pm.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:28 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by louise
We are staying at Diamond Sands, we fly out on the 9th July with Japan Airlines from Heathrow but we don't land in Brisbane until 11th July.

We live in the North West so hundreds of miles from Heathrow, we have to make do with watching the planes at Manchester, it does get you all excited though doesn't it. Our boys 6 & 4 keep telling everyone they are going to Australia and getting really excited (god help us on the journey!!!)

Louise
Looks like we'll be passing each other somewhere above the clouds in asia then. My eldest Toby 13 is getting worried that our plane is going to crash or get taken over by terrorists and my 2.5 year old has absolutely no idea as to what's coming his way. He can't sit still for 30 seconds so I can safely say that we're all pretty much dreading the flights. Having said that still can't wait wish it was tomorrow.

So which areas of the Gold Coast are you thinking of living? what are your plans for moving permanently? We're planning on heading out permanently in November asuming we can sell the house by then. We're looking at the Northern end of the Gold Coast Copomera, Helensvale, etc... hopefully we'll know for sure by the end of the holiday.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

BallBoy will become famous soon enough

Hi elksa,

a few suggestions for things to do:

South of the Gold Coast you have Byron Bay which has an excellent beach and a laid back feel to the place....well it did last time I was there!

North there is the Sunshine Coast; Caloundra, Maroochyadore which are smaller more sedate surfing towns, much less built up than the Gold Coast.

Overlooking the Sunshine Coast in the hinterland is Mapleton Falls which has some great walks and an impressive waterfall, there are also some spectacular views out over the coast and the Glasshouse Mountains.
A bit further along is Montville as someone suggested, plenty of quaint shops and cafe's.

Oh yes the "Big Pineapple" at Nambour....I wouldn't put it top of your holiday agenda though!!

Cheers
Tim
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Looks like we'll be passing each other somewhere above the clouds in asia then. My eldest Toby 13 is getting worried that our plane is going to crash or get taken over by terrorists and my 2.5 year old has absolutely no idea as to what's coming his way. He can't sit still for 30 seconds so I can safely say that we're all pretty much dreading the flights. Having said that still can't wait wish it was tomorrow.

So which areas of the Gold Coast are you thinking of living? what are your plans for moving permanently? We're planning on heading out permanently in November asuming we can sell the house by then. We're looking at the Northern end of the Gold Coast Copomera, Helensvale, etc... hopefully we'll know for sure by the end of the holiday.

We are actually thinking more of settling in the Bayside area, but things may change after the rekkie. We chose to holiday on the gold coast so there would be lots to do for the children. Going to try and divide the time equally so we can all enjoy ourselves.

We are hoping to make the move next spring, can't even begin to think of how many things will need doing when we get back. (not going to think about that until August anyway) concentrating on our holiday first.

Have fun and enjoy.

Louise
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

BSherlock will become famous soon enoughBSherlock will become famous soon enough

sand islands of the coast but I can't remember their names.

Frazer Island is a must!!! My brother and I travelled the entire East Coast - Frazer was one of the best things we did! You can do 2 or three night camping trips - Loads to do, just watch out for Dingos.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:59 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by BallBoy
Hi elksa,

a few suggestions for things to do:

South of the Gold Coast you have Byron Bay which has an excellent beach and a laid back feel to the place....well it did last time I was there!

North there is the Sunshine Coast; Caloundra, Maroochyadore which are smaller more sedate surfing towns, much less built up than the Gold Coast.

Overlooking the Sunshine Coast in the hinterland is Mapleton Falls which has some great walks and an impressive waterfall, there are also some spectacular views out over the coast and the Glasshouse Mountains.
A bit further along is Montville as someone suggested, plenty of quaint shops and cafe's.

Oh yes the "Big Pineapple" at Nambour....I wouldn't put it top of your holiday agenda though!!

Cheers
Tim

Thanks Tim

Mapleton Falls sounds good, think I may have to take a trip up there.
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BSherlock
sand islands of the coast but I can't remember their names.
Fraser's Island is the biggest, followed by Moreton and North Stradbroke Islands. A woman I spoke to on the plane in January was from Brissie and recommended Moreton Island, but by all accounts they're all amazing.

I always recommend the Lamington Plateau and Lamington National Park for folks who want to 'go bush' in this area. This is an area dominated by upland sub-tropical and temperate rainforest, and has some amazing vistas and well developed walking trails, some to waterfalls.

I saw lots of birds (beautiful regent and satin bowerbirds; wonga pigeons; crimson rosellas; and much more) plus pademelons (a tiny wallaby) including one with a joey in its pouch; and lots of possums (Mountain Brushtail and Common Ringtail); all readily observable around the O'Reilly's Resthouse and campsite. On the walking trails there were lots of huge skinks (a type of lizard) over a foot long, plus lots of other birds. I recommend it highly, and saw lots of families on the walking trails.

The resthouse is enormously popular, especially at weekends, and the campsite is often full, so you may have to book in advance.

The whole vicinity of Lamington is beautiful though, and there are a number of other areas on the plateau and main range to go walking, get great views and see waterfalls, including over the border in NSW.
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

There's a fantastic shopping mall at the Gold coast, its called Pacific Fair, we spent many a day there basically because it rained non stop last Dec for 6 days

You must go to Sea world & swim with the dolphins, what a fab experience. Also a trip to Australia Zoo, its a fab day out, we had a whale of a time or should that be a croc of a time ! If you go to the zoo when its Steve urwins kids birthdays you can go in for free & he's usually around.

What ever you decide to do, you'll have a fab time.

P.s. we went to the "Big Pineapple" at Nambour & had a good time