Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'A' Day - 6th April 2006

'A' Day - 6th April 2006

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Hadrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'A' Day - 6th April 2006

Everything was just working out fine for us and going to plan with our emigration to Oz until the UK tax office decided that all pension transfers to overseas super funds have to meet a certain set of requirements and become Qualified Registered Overseas Pension Schemes (QROPS).

Of course as usual with any government tax office they only posted the interim requirements in February and no overseas pension fund can register until after 6th April 2006.

So if I don't get my pension transfer completed by 5th April I will get clobbered with a 40% or more tax on my transfer amount which I personally would have to pay. Or I will just have to put the transfer on stop to see which Oz fund registers (if any) and then no doubt I will get caught up after 6 months with the ATO FIF rules.

Thank you Mr Brown.

Please note: this is not advice, I am only posting my own understanding of the new pension transfer rules as it affects me personally
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'A' Day - 6th April 2006

Originally Posted by Hadrian
Everything was just working out fine for us and going to plan with our emigration to Oz until the UK tax office decided that all pension transfers to overseas super funds have to meet a certain set of requirements and become Qualified Registered Overseas Pension Schemes (QROPS).

Of course as usual with any government tax office they only posted the interim requirements in February and no overseas pension fund can register until after 6th April 2006.

So if I don't get my pension transfer completed by 5th April I will get clobbered with a 40% or more tax on my transfer amount which I personally would have to pay. Or I will just have to put the transfer on stop to see which Oz fund registers (if any) and then no doubt I will get caught up after 6 months with the ATO FIF rules.

Thank you Mr Brown.

Please note: this is not advice, I am only posting my own understanding of the new pension transfer rules as it affects me personally
Will you be PR or TR? If TR you might not have to move your pension dependent on the new Australian tax regulations for TR which may well become law in July.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Hadrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'A' Day - 6th April 2006

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Will you be PR or TR? If TR you might not have to move your pension dependent on the new Australian tax regulations for TR which may well become law in July.

Cheers

Buzzy
I am PR so definately does affect me.

Hadrian
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'A' Day - 6th April 2006

Originally Posted by Hadrian
I am PR so definately does affect me.

Hadrian
Bummer

Can I suggest you keep an eye on this thread and the associated links?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357263

Cheers

Buzzy