Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband In Sydney

Broadband In Sydney

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default Broadband In Sydney

I have just moved to Sydney. I want to know which broadband is best.

Problem is i download a lot..peer to peer filesharing...i spoek to telstra they told me 10 gb limit month is 25AUDm for 20 GB a whopping 129 aud!! Agter limit they slow you down.

10 gm is not so many movies in a month..

anyone on an unlimited download plan like i used to have in UK?

can you share you experience of good and bad service providers...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:57 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Broadband In Sydney

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi

Problem is i download a lot..peer to peer filesharing...i spoek to telstra they told me 10 gb limit month is 25AUDm for 20 GB a whopping 129 aud!! Agter limit they slow you down.

Don't know about unlimited, but you could have a look on whirlpool.net.au for a plan. There's always plenty of discussion too.
My isp is iiNet who came highly recommended although I've just had a bit of a nightmare with their helpdesk.
They do an 80Gb (40 on peak 40 off) for the same price as Telstra's 20Gb. And it could be adsl2 if you're on the right dslam.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:14 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

/me wants adsl2 in Brisbane

I would love some kick ass speeds to be getting LOST etc to watch since aussie TV sucks I cant believe there are no unlimited download plans over there :S
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:39 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We are with iinet aswell and couldn't be happier. We also download alot each month and sometimes don't even reach our limit. Their speeds are awesome and if you can get their new generation speed which we are still waiting for, you will be flying at the speed of sound.
You also get a discount on home phone lines if you get the package with them.
Their helpdesk takes a bit of getting used to and I had to phone up to complain about the last bill and it was supposedly sorted out, but lo and behold, on the day the money went out the account - they took too much and I phoned up to complain and the first person I spoke to was useless, so I treid for a manager but they were all busy so I left a number (stupidly). I phoned back a couple of hours later, insisted on speaking to a manager but again was told they were all busy. I asked why and was told they were all dealing with angry customers! I asked for a senior member and got satisfaction. Not only did I get the bill sorted out, I got them to refund the costs of all the calls I made and got them to credit me with the overdraft fees which they has caused me. Now that is what I call satisfaction!
Having said all that, iinet is still one of the best. Check them out at iinet.net.au

Sass

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
/me wants adsl2 in Brisbane

I would love some kick ass speeds to be getting LOST etc to watch since aussie TV sucks I cant believe there are no unlimited download plans over there :S
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:46 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sass73
Having said all that, iinet is still one of the best. Check them out at iinet.net.au

Sass
Yeah, the alternatives are not worth thinking about. Just pray that you don't have to contact their helpdesk.
Their website says that my local exchange has been ported on to their dslam so I should be getting the 24,000kbps connection, but they haven't actually done everyone yet. I'm not holding my breathe, but live in hope.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Netspace and Iinet but now are with Shift Reload whom not alot of people know about

We get completely unlimited downloads/uploads, they don't cut your speed if you download too much and a static IP address and no acceptable use policy so you can do as you please and I have to say that their service has been better than we received with either netspace or iinet so we will definitely be staying with them they are great
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Go to

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

THis site will list ALL ISPs in Australia and enable you to compare them.

Stay away from TElstra is you P2P as they count uploads AND downloads on your quota.

Optus are P2P unfriendly as when your uload exceeds your downloads then you get a warning.

I use iiNET with lots of success.

www.whirlpool.net.au is a VERY good place to research your ISP. Look under the discussions section.

KS
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi

Just signed up with iinet for their 24Mbps ADSL2 service. 40Gb limit for $69.95/month. We live in the bush (although near an exchange) & get 24Mbps broadband, not bad in my opinion.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:17 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

ditto the whirlpool link. Do LOTS of research as ADSL plans here are totally different to the UK (ie you have download limits and pay for extra traffic).

After alot of research I went with Exetel who are the best value for money with excellent service. $40 a month for 16gb peak and 24gb off-peak downloads. Any extra is $3 per gb.

Look into Voip as well if you can. Get on Telstra`s $18.50 line rental plan, and then buy a voip modem ($220), and get really cheap local and international calls.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stormz
After alot of research I went with Exetel who are the best value for money with excellent service. $40 a month for 16gb peak and 24gb off-peak downloads. Any extra is $3 per gb.
but don't you work for Exetel (assume so from your job ad) so maybe you're a bit biased .

We have done the following:
Joined bigpond on their 24 months plan with the first 12 months half price because we have online billing, the landline phone with them (cheapest plan option) and our mobiles with them (including free calls to each other which on their own would cost us more than they charge).
For international calls I bought a USB phone ($79) and attached it to our computer and registered with Skype. Skype charge about €0.014 a minute which seems to be fine as the initial £5 I put on is lasting forever. We have also bought a London SkypeIn number for €30 per year so our friends and relatives can call us cheaply from the UK.

So far everything has been fine and I can't complain.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
but don't you work for Exetel (assume so from your job ad) so maybe you're a bit biased .
He might be, but I'm not. Spoke to lots of heavy downloaders and friends from my online gaming clan when I was out at Xmas and Exetel came out top of the list. There is a nominal cap on downloads but nobody I'd spoken to had ever had their wrists slapped about it.