Dawesville - WA

Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dawesville - WA

Can anyone give me any info on what this area is like. I know it's quite a way down - should be okay for hubby working as he's a brickie but I was wondering what the schools, shops etc were like or if it is miles from everywhere with an isolated feel as it looks on the map !!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

My Brother lives in Dawesville, absolutely beautiful. The estuary is lovely there.
Its about 10 minutes by car into Mandurah.
45 minutes to Rockingham and about an hour and 15 mins to Perth.
Not out of the way at all really.

Whisky
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
My Brother lives in Dawesville, absolutely beautiful. The estuary is lovely there.
Its about 10 minutes by car into Mandurah.
45 minutes to Rockingham and about an hour and 15 mins to Perth.
Not out of the way at all really.

Whisky
Thanks Whisky. I must admit it looks nice although I see that a lot of land is being sold off. Any ideas on primary/junior schools ?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I know that there are Schools there, and if its any help at all, my Brother is a teacher and waiting for a position to come up there, and he tends to be a bit fussy as to where he teaches. Not sure when I will get to speak to him, but when I do, I will as him about the Schools.
May try and ring him this evening.

Whisky
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Dawesville is a lovely area; if it wasn't for the fact that hubby has to drive to Perth every day for work, we probably would have considered looking there. The estuary that way is a great place for fishing, bbqs, picnics etc. For the main shopping centre and tourist areas and other facilities of Mandurah, it's a 20 minute drive, one straight dual-carriageway all the way.

The nearest primary school is at Florida I think, brand new school with a young headmaster who has plenty of modern ideas. The nearest middle school is at Halls Head and there is a school bus service. There is a new private primary school nearby, and for the private schools in Mandurah they are all serviced by school bus to this area. There are small shopping centres in all the suburbs and as you drive towards Mandurah the biggest is Halls Head, then the main one on Pinjarra Road.

Dawesville also places you a little closer to Bunbury (45 minutes) and the rest of the South West holiday regions.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies - it definitely sounds like the place for me. I just hope the house/land prices don't rise too much before I get there.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Good restaurants down there too... Jolly Frog, Indian summer and dont forget the Miami Bakehouse mmmmmmm
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

They are building a shopping centre down there at the moment ,
will have woolies takeaways newsagents etc
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds even better - if only I could buy some land now !! Will have to wish hard for a lottery win tomorrow.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in Dawesville on New years eve..................loads of firework displays...............during the day, saw dolphins in the estuary...............really, really lovely.
It took us just over an hour to get there (from central Perth), and we were told that they are building some form of rail track down the centre of the freeway........others on here may know more about this......so the journey to Perth CBD may become even quicker.

Anyway, it impressed me, and I certainly wouldn't wave a big stick at it given the chance
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the railway should be linking Mandurah to Perth by the end of 2006 (a year earlier than originally planned). According to the info in last week's local paper, the freeway extension project is also being brought forward; that will link Perth to Bunbury making that journey 20 minutes shorter (it currently takes two hours) and is due for completion 2007/8 I think.

Stoney, have you tried Indian Summer? We haven't had an Indian meal at all since leaving the UK; is the place any good?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
Yes the railway should be linking Mandurah to Perth by the end of 2006 (a year earlier than originally planned). According to the info in last week's local paper, the freeway extension project is also being brought forward; that will link Perth to Bunbury making that journey 20 minutes shorter (it currently takes two hours) and is due for completion 2007/8 I think.
Sounds great!
I really think Mandurah - Bunbury is going to be the biggest growth area in the region!
Not sure I want to live there though, but I think it would be good investment(not that we have anything to invest right now...)