Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

I agree with dave99. When I was in Perth a few years ago I vividly remember it being too hot, to the point where I was looking for places to hide...but there was no escape. I could never live there because I know I wouldn't tolerate it. Remember, people do die from extreme temperatures.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I agree with dave99. When I was in Perth a few years ago I vividly remember it being too hot, to the point where I was looking for places to hide...but there was no escape. I could never live there because I know I wouldn't tolerate it. Remember, people do die from extreme temperatures.
As the saying goes" like a cat on a hot tin roof". Yes Perth and Adeladie have long hot summers,
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:03 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - you need to remember that, although you may find summer too hot on occasions, Australia generally has the benefit of beautiful transitional seasons where you will have perfect temperatures and conditions for being out and about without the oppressive heat.

Hell, last winter we were out walking in shorts and T Shirts during the day. The really hot, hot, hot weather is not a problem in my books.

Graham
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:34 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northerner
To the OP - you need to remember that, although you may find summer too hot on occasions, Australia generally has the benefit of beautiful transitional seasons where you will have perfect temperatures and conditions for being out and about without the oppressive heat.

Hell, last winter we were out walking in shorts and T Shirts during the day. The really hot, hot, hot weather is not a problem in my books.

Graham
YEs its not hot all year round, even in summer its not hot all the time, half of summer its in the mid to high 20c degrees.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:35 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
well you dont stay wet and at least the rain doesnt give you skin cancer !
also if your cold, you can put things on, if its to hot theres only so much you can take off..
Whinge Whinge.

Note too potential migrants Australia is a hot country.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:02 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Love it when it is between 30 and 37, we live on the West Australian coast down in Mandurah and we get the most wonderful sea breezes. We have lived without aircon for over 3 years and have only been too hot about half a dozen times. We are moving to Dawesville on Saturday and although we are going to be in a very similar position (on a hill near the ocean) and will benefit from the ocean breezes, I am not looking forward to lugging all that gear around in 38 degrees. The key is to live near the ocean if you can, I don't think I would be so positive about the heat if I lived inland or in the city.

As far as outdoor lifestyle is concerned it is great, there is loads to do but you just have to be sensible about it. When it is hot we take the boat out early in the morning and maybe do a bit of crabbing or biscuiting, moor up somewhere and have lunch during the hottest part of the day. Then have a swim in the river where it is nice and shady or take a dip in the pool and maybe head out in the late afternoon/early evening for a stroll, canoe ride, bike ride etc and there is always night fishing off the beach which is great fun. (Please note the previous activities would not usually be done in the same day!!!) I can't believe how much time we actually spend outside, having read the comments on here before we came out I thought we would be stuck inside for 4 months of the year, this is definitely not the case. We are very careful with the sun; skin cancer is a fact of life which cannot be ignored, we always wear hats etc, sit in the shade and use a high factor sun block. Flies and mozzies can be a bit of a pain but living in the windiest part of town they are very rarely a problem.

I have to stand up for the Ozzies I work with a team of real grafters. They appreciate my work ethic and we have a great time. I absolutely love my job.:thumbsup

Last edited by ACE; Dec 7th 2009 at 5:30 am.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

A Happy Bunny

Mandurah is one of our favourite places in WA!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ACE
I can't believe how much time we actually spend outside, having read the comments on here before we came out I thought we would be stuck inside for 4 months of the year, this is definitely not the case.
Good job you didn't get scared off before you came here

Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:52 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

I agree it is too damn hot... sometimes, just like it's too damn cold in the UK sometimes (most of the time )

It was quite an experience last summer in Melbourne 44, 45, 47 but then it was over. I can cope with the heat it's just the dry that gets to me, everything looks so ugly.

That's the only thing bad about Melbourne is the drought, the garden starts to turn to shyte around Oct and then the severe winds that always seem to blow through Melbourne pick up all the dust and coat the buidlings and make everything look dirty.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:10 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Love it when it is between 30 and 37, we live on the West Australian coast down in Mandurah and we get the most wonderful sea breezes. We have lived without aircon for over 3 years and have only been too hot about half a dozen times. We are moving to Dawesville on Saturday and although we are going to be in a very similar position (on a hill near the ocean) and will benefit from the ocean breezes, I am not looking forward to lugging all that gear around in 38 degrees. The key is to live near the ocean if you can, I don't think I would be so positive about the heat if I lived inland or in the city.

As far as outdoor lifestyle is concerned it is great, there is loads to do but you just have to be sensible about it. When it is hot we take the boat out early in the morning and maybe do a bit of crabbing or biscuiting, moor up somewhere and have lunch during the hottest part of the day. Then have a swim in the river where it is nice and shady or take a dip in the pool and maybe head out in the late afternoon/early evening for a stroll, canoe ride, bike ride etc and there is always night fishing off the beach which is great fun. (Please note the previous activities would not usually be done in the same day!!!) I can't believe how much time we actually spend outside, having read the comments on here before we came out I thought we would be stuck inside for 4 months of the year, this is definitely not the case. We are very careful with the sun; skin cancer is a fact of life which cannot be ignored, we always wear hats etc, sit in the shade and use a high factor sun block. Flies and mozzies can be a bit of a pain but living in the windiest part of town they are very rarely a problem.

I have to stand up for the Ozzies I work with a team of real grafters. They appreciate my work ethic and we have a great time. I absolutely love my job.:thumbsup
Have you got any more pics of your house build?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
I agree it is too damn hot... sometimes, just like it's too damn cold in the UK sometimes (most of the time )

It was quite an experience last summer in Melbourne 44, 45, 47 but then it was over. I can cope with the heat it's just the dry that gets to me, everything looks so ugly.

That's the only thing bad about Melbourne is the drought, the garden starts to turn to shyte around Oct and then the severe winds that always seem to blow through Melbourne pick up all the dust and coat the buidlings and make everything look dirty.
The view from some places is awful. October - wow that is a dry place - that is early. This has been a real issue since 2006 in particular. Where we live is better. In 2008 we had avoided brown grass when the suburbs were complaining - then it browned off in March 2008 greening up in April some 6 weeks later.

2009 was bad. It was brown by January and was so until March when again it greened up in a week.

This year is looking good, actually. I'm expecting the grass to slow down in New Year and be dormant until March. Might avoid a brown-off.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the movie The Boys are Back on Saturday & could not get over how dry & brown the Fleurie Peninsula is...still very stunning though! Really want to visit down that way soon.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:13 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Have you got any more pics of your house build?
Hi PP,
We are in the process of moving bit by bit at the moment. My elderly father and step mum arrived on Friday, Mr ACE's mum, step dad and cousin arrive next Friday, we are still both working fulltime and we have to be out of our rental by Monday. Fortunately a few of the guys I work with have volunteered to come down and help us move the big stuff. To top it all off the eldest is being baptised on Sunday-what a week. Then there is the little issue of preparing for Christmas. It is all a bit crazy at the moment but I will post some more pics as soon as I can.

Last edited by ACE; Dec 7th 2009 at 1:17 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:14 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Good job you didn't get scared off before you came here
Too right, this place rocks
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You won't be so impressed with it when the electric bill comes in.
I have ducted aircon and I agree with you that its brilliant... but at a cost.
You beat me with this comment. I don't get though how my house seems hotter inside with air con on full blast these days! Opening the windows doesn't seem to help too much. mmmmmmm. Well I won't have to worry cos I'm moving very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.