Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dad coming to visit - Evisitor

Dad coming to visit - Evisitor

Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Dad coming to visit - Evisitor

Hi everyone,

My Dad is coming for a visit from the UK at the end of March.
He is staying with us for just over a month and then returning home.

He has had his e-visitor visa granted, has a valid passport (expires in 4 years) and obviously has booked his return flight.

Is this visa all he needs to be able to enter Australia?

He is 78 years old, travelling on his own and is fretting that they will turn him away at the airport

Cheers
Jo
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dad coming to visit - Evisitor

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hi everyone,

My Dad is coming for a visit from the UK at the end of March.
He is staying with us for just over a month and then returning home.

He has had his e-visitor visa granted, has a valid passport (expires in 4 years) and obviously has booked his return flight.

Is this visa all he needs to be able to enter Australia?

He is 78 years old, travelling on his own and is fretting that they will turn him away at the airport

Cheers
Jo
Yep, that's all he needs. If he is the worrying kind you can suggest he prints out the visa grant notification to include with his passport but it's not needed really.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

That's what my folks have done, travel insurance and my Dad is convinced he needs a pocket full of cash to show he can support them while visiting, too much border control tv I think!!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
That's what my folks have done, travel insurance and my Dad is convinced he needs a pocket full of cash to show he can support them while visiting, too much border control tv I think!!
That's a good mention, though ambulance cover might be all he needs. Medicare and the NHS have a reciprocal agreement so the OP's dad may need proof he is covered by the NHS to qualify. Not sure if medicare accepts UK residence alone as proof enough...
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:51 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That's a good mention, though ambulance cover might be all he needs. Medicare and the NHS have a reciprocal agreement so the OP's dad may need proof he is covered by the NHS to qualify. Not sure if medicare accepts UK residence alone as proof enough...
No, ambulance cover is not all he needs - what if he needs to be medically transferred back to the UK?

Or (heaven forbid) he passes while here?

Get holiday insurance.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention that he already has travel insurance too.

That's all good then. I can tell him he won't be turned away!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No, ambulance cover is not all he needs - what if he needs to be medically transferred back to the UK?

Or (heaven forbid) he passes while here?

Get holiday insurance.
Agreed, holiday insurance covers most other eventualities. But it depends on each individual's circumstances and their assessment and aversion to risk. When my dad came over, ambulance and health cover (he's not eligible for Medicare) was the minimum that we felt comfortable with.