CV help

Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Question CV help

We are going to the "opportunities in Australia" expo and have been advised to take CVs with us.
How detailed should it be?
How long. short? What format?
And , would this CV be suitable to take to Melbourne to hand out when I door knock the agencies in Melbourne?
Obviously it can't be specific to a particular job.
Has anyone in BE actually aquired a job in Oz by going along to an agency/expo?
H.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CV help

Originally Posted by helinuk
We are going to the "opportunities in Australia" expo and have been advised to take CVs with us.
How detailed should it be?
How long. short? What format?
And , would this CV be suitable to take to Melbourne to hand out when I door knock the agencies in Melbourne?
Obviously it can't be specific to a particular job.
Has anyone in BE actually aquired a job in Oz by going along to an agency/expo?
H.

Hi again - you helped me re: our dog so I'll try and help. I'm an IT Recruiter here in the UK and in this country we advise candidates to keep their cv's to 3 pages, 4 at the very max. I've been told in Australia that they like to have much more detail on the cv. It might pay you to take two types to the Expo with you. A UK version and a more lengthy version for Oz.

Hope this helps. What industry sector do you work in?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Troood
Hi again - you helped me re: our dog so I'll try and help. I'm an IT Recruiter here in the UK and in this country we advise candidates to keep their cv's to 3 pages, 4 at the very max. I've been told in Australia that they like to have much more detail on the cv. It might pay you to take two types to the Expo with you. A UK version and a more lengthy version for Oz.

Hope this helps. What industry sector do you work in?
Thanks Trood
I'm in childcare, can't use my teaching dip. to get in as its not a 4 yr QT degree
Hubby is an electronics engineer- GM - (fire and security)
both are on OZ skilled list.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Look at some of the Oz recruitment sites as they give tips on CV (resume) preperation and techniques. The Oz equivalent is quite different to the UK so worth taking a look.

Regards
Clare

http://jobs.careerone.com.au
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:35 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of info in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252556

D D
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
I did a search for cv posts but this didn't come up. I knew I'd seen a post recently!
many thanks
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:17 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Helen,
Oz employers like the resume to be two/three pages max.
You need to tailor the resume to the position you are applying for.
RELEVENT and RECENT are the main buzz words.
Remember the employer has hundreds of emails/resumes to look at, make it happen in the first page ...highlight your skills and experience relevent to the position.

Steve
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:49 am
Just Joined

breaks_head is an unknown quantity at this point

and we like just 2 or 3 references.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I put some of what worked for me on this thread about IT employment.
Try doing a search on 'resume' instead of CV. That seems to be the term used over here.
Have a look at Go Matilda Recruitment. It's fairly new and is tailored toward the expat market.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I put some of what worked for me on this thread about IT employment.
Try doing a search on 'resume' instead of CV. That seems to be the term used over here.
Have a look at Go Matilda Recruitment. It's fairly new and is tailored toward the expat market.
Many thanks Melbourne help and Jules and Chris.

Break head you're only 17 how many resumes have you written?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
Helen,
Oz employers like the resume to be two/three pages max.
You need to tailor the resume to the position you are applying for.
RELEVENT and RECENT are the main buzz words.
Remember the employer has hundreds of emails/resumes to look at, make it happen in the first page ...highlight your skills and experience relevent to the position.

Steve
To that good advice I would add make sure you use a spell check and I don't agree that all CV's should be of the same length because it depends on the position applied for. To quote from winningresumes.com.au

Aussie CV's should:

"Visually catch the eye of the employer through professional layouts & design

Target the right market by appealing to employers values and the job criteria

Advertise your key skills and achievements to sell your competitive advantage.

So even though we cannot provide you with a magic formula or generic template, just like any advertising campaign, there are some basic key components every resume must have.

[In order of appearance]

Contact Details
Your Name, Address, Phone Numbers and Email Address

Career Objective/Career Statement

Key Skill Summary [Preferred but optional]

Employment History or Relevant Experience

Professional Development
All education, training and qualifications – when and where.

Key Competencies [Optional]

Additional Skills
Such as Computer Skill, Languages etc.

Referees
The names of 2-3 professional persons that can verify your work experience.

Each of these sections have a specific purpose and criteria, and must be profesionally and pursuasively written in a way that targets the needs of the industry or an employer and best promotes your competitive advantage.

Recent surveys of Australia’s top 500 companies, indicate that the expected length of a good Australian Resume should be:

1 – 2 Pages Graduate or School Leaver
3 – 4 Pages Professional or Tradesperson
5 – 6 Pages Senior Executive or CEO"

OzTennis
Old Sep 30th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I asked a pro when we came over and he gave me some great tips which have worked wonders for my husband and myself. I have also worked in HR here in oz and looked at CV's with the eye to employing someone - here is what I found:

Have 2 CV's: A short CV for the initial application and a detailed CV for the first interview.
The short one should be 1-2 A4 pages max – don’t waffle. Only list relevant experience/tertiary education/training and most recent job goes at the top. This one can be changed for each job, the long one can stay the same and should be very detailed.

Do not put your address on your CV unless pecifically asked for it as it might be held against you if you live a distance away. Likewise don't state that you have children or are married or any such personal details unless asked for it.

In the short CV under referees simply write: "Referees available upon request", same goes for any non-relevant tertiary education/training.

In the long CV under referees include e-mail addresses if possible, they prefer to use e-mail to do a quick first check, especially when you've come from the other side of the world. If they like what they read they'll call.

Use the same terminology as used in the job ad, if possible – ozzies find it hard to think outside the square. If you’ve done something similar try to phrase it so they can see how it fits their profile.

Don’t be afraid to highlight the specific experience and training/education that you think will best equip you for the position in the short CV – if they don’t see something they like and can relate to immediately then you can forget about it.

But don't be a Yankee and tell them how wonderful you are either (not in those words anyway )

No spelling mistakes and for goodness sake get the spelling of the name of the business you're applying to right! I got a CV from a woman who had applied for a position where part of the criteria was "attention to detail". She told us she paid great attention to detail but was taken off the list for misspelling the business name on her application - duh!

Then – if you make it to the interview, don’t come semi-casual – wear a bloody tie! I was interviewing for security guards and they told me “No tie- no way!� The ozzies recon if you don’t even know how to dress for an interview you’re beyond hopeless. Sydney and Melbourne are the worst.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G'Day
I asked a pro when we came over and he gave me some great tips which have worked wonders for my husband and myself. I have also worked in HR here in oz and looked at CV's with the eye to employing someone - here is what I found:

Have 2 CV's: A short CV for the initial application and a detailed CV for the first interview.
The short one should be 1-2 A4 pages max – don’t waffle. Only list relevant experience/tertiary education/training and most recent job goes at the top. This one can be changed for each job, the long one can stay the same and should be very detailed.

Do not put your address on your CV unless pecifically asked for it as it might be held against you if you live a distance away. Likewise don't state that you have children or are married or any such personal details unless asked for it.

In the short CV under referees simply write: "Referees available upon request", same goes for any non-relevant tertiary education/training.

In the long CV under referees include e-mail addresses if possible, they prefer to use e-mail to do a quick first check, especially when you've come from the other side of the world. If they like what they read they'll call.

Use the same terminology as used in the job ad, if possible – ozzies find it hard to think outside the square. If you’ve done something similar try to phrase it so they can see how it fits their profile.

Don’t be afraid to highlight the specific experience and training/education that you think will best equip you for the position in the short CV – if they don’t see something they like and can relate to immediately then you can forget about it.

But don't be a Yankee and tell them how wonderful you are either (not in those words anyway )

No spelling mistakes and for goodness sake get the spelling of the name of the business you're applying to right! I got a CV from a woman who had applied for a position where part of the criteria was "attention to detail". She told us she paid great attention to detail but was taken off the list for misspelling the business name on her application - duh!

Then – if you make it to the interview, don’t come semi-casual – wear a bloody tie! I was interviewing for security guards and they told me “No tie- no way!� The ozzies recon if you don’t even know how to dress for an interview you’re beyond hopeless. Sydney and Melbourne are the worst.
Hi G'Day
thank you for taking the time to reply to my request for help
We'll certainly be doing 2 resumes. I'll do a short version for the expo to give out and take a longer one in case any of the agencies show more interest, then take both to Melbourne.

Thank goodness for spell check OT! Although its no good with homophones!Being a dyslexic family we still proof read everything we type and send.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Helen

Another bit of advice is use the spell check but not to trust it! Here's one that didn't get a red line under any words:

That's awl rite

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques for my revue,
Mistakes I cannot sea.

I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your plea's too no.
It's letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

OzTennis
Old Oct 1st 2004, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Helen

Another bit of advice is use the spell check but not to trust it! Here's one that didn't get a red line under any words:

That's awl rite

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques for my revue,
Mistakes I cannot sea.

I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your plea's too no.
It's letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

OzTennis
I almost put that poem on here for you, I used to have it up in my classroom!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.