customs costs

Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Thumbs down customs costs

I e-,mailed the aus customs asking what the charges would be for taking over some liquor (obviously over the years we have acquired several more bottles of booze than permitted to take)
I received a reply as follows:

ALCOHOL RATES (personal effects) :

Spirits and Liqueurs : RATES : Duty Rate 5%; of value of goods; Excise
Rate $57.17/Litre of Alc.; GST 10% of CVAL + Duty Payable + Excise Rate
Payable

Brandy : 5% and Excise Rate $53.38/Litre of Alc. + GST 10% of CVAL + Duty
Payable + Excise Rate Payable

WINE : Customs Duty : 5% of Customs Value; WET : 29% of GST Value (Cval +
Customs Duty Payable); GST : 10% of Value of Taxable Importation ( CVal +
Customs Duty Payable + WET)
SHERRY IS REGARDED AS A WINE

Unless I am misunderstanding this info it means that a bottle of |Brandy bought in France therefore costing approx £5 would cost me about £30 to take into australia

Is anyone better at calculus than I - give me better news as I don't want to wastemy 'cellar'
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

i think you'd better have a big party before you go!
karen
Old Jan 15th 2003, 5:31 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Yes we shall have to but at the moment our possible going is very hush hush in case we are knocked back
yafm
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drink it!!!!!!

Hi,

QUOTE:
Unless I am misunderstanding this info it means that a bottle of |Brandy bought in France therefore costing approx £5 would cost me about £30 to take into australia

Yes it is true!! Sorry
We had the shipping company out and they have told us that it is not worth the hassle taking any of our very, very large wine collection as it will be taxed and cost a fortune. They also said if we did sneak it into the container and it was found we would have to pay the duty or pay for it to be shipped back to the UK.
So we are going to leave any good bottles that will mature with age at mother-in-laws for when we visit the UK. Sell some to friend's and drink the rest.

Sue