Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rose Tinted Glasses

Rose Tinted Glasses

Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:06 pm
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rose Tinted Glasses

AFTER READING SOME OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS I HAVE STARTED TO WONDER IF ME AND MY FAMILY ARE LOOKING THROUGH TINTED GLASSS CONCERNING MOVING TO OZ.
ALL WE WANT TO GAIN FROM MOVING TO OZ IS OUR OWN HOME (NO MORGAGE) A BIT OF SAVINGS IN THE BANK,MORE TIME TO SPEND TOGETHER AS A FAMILY,A BIT OF SUNSHINE WITH ENOUGH INCOME COMING IN TO PAY THE GENERAL BILLS.
RATHER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE, ANOTHER 17 YEARS TRYING TO PAY THE MORGAGE OFF, MY HUSBAND WORKING ALL HOURS NO TIME FOR THE FAMILY, AND RAIN ????
ARE WE EXPECTING TO MUCH?
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I personally don't think you are expecting too much but I'm sure there are others here that will contradict me. Maybe I have the rose tinted glasses on but I like what I see through them! We've been in Perth almost 7 months and maybe there will come a time when we want to go back to UK. I won't rule it out because I don't know what the future holds - no one does. But we came here for the same reasons as yourself. We do still have a mortgage but it's smaller than it was in Uk and we have a nicer house! Even so, we still manage to do all the other 'family' things too. My kids love the beach and the parks so for now we hardly pay anything to amuse them. Maybe when they are older they will want to do the things that cost money but right now they are happy with the things we do.

The best tip I ever read on this forum was see the move as a temporary one. Give yourselves a couple of years and see how you feel. You can always go back 'home' if it wasn't what you were expecting.

Claire
xx
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

louisewebster is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear that positive reply. My hubby & I are making the move, he has been there for about 5 months working but it has taken me a little longer to make the push. It's just recently I realised I was being stupid putting it off, it can't be any worse that living here - and as you say we can always come back if it doesn't work out. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:06 pm

THANKS CLAIRE FOR YOUR REPLY THAT GIVES US A BIT OF HOPE, SO PLEASED EVERYTHING IS WORKING OUT GREAT FOR YOU AND IF IT DOES GO WRONG OR NOT QUITE AS WE`D EXSPECTED AT LEAST WE`VE OF TRIED IT RATHER THAN WISHING THE NEXT 17 YEARS AWAY OF MORGAGE.
ARE YOUR HOUSE HOLD BILLS COST ABOUT THE SAME AS THEY WERE IN ENGLAND IE COUNCIL TAX, ELECTRICITY ETC?
KERRIE
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kerrie

I'll leave that question for someone else to answer as we are renting at the moment (awaiting our house to be built) and so don't really know what our 'proper' bills will be like. I seem to rememmer (Perth Helena I think) going into great detail with monthly bills. So far I do think they are cheaper than in UK but ask me in another year and I'll let you know! If you search through the archives I'm sure you'll find the thread in question.

Claire xx
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again!

This was the thread I was refering to! Hope it works?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=94702

Claire xx
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:43 pm

WOW WHAT A GOOD THREAD I`VE JUST FINISHED READING IT, EVRYTHING THERE I NEEDED TO KNOW THANKS FOR THE HELP CLAIRE.I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN YOU HAVING YOUR HOUSE BUILT!HOW HAS THAT BEEN? WOULD YOU RECOMEND IT?
KERRIE