Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customer Service in Australia ?

Customer Service in Australia ?

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customer Service in Australia ?

Originally Posted by viviennef
Nearly all the customer service I have experienced has been horrendous. It is the bane of my life. I get "how are you today" gang banged as soon as I walk in a shop then when I need any sort of real assistance I get zero. I have spent all week waiting for a dingo man to level my lawn. he calls every single day and never turns up.

It is perfectly normal for me to spend 2_ hours on the phone to telstra about my incorrect bill which has been corrected this year already to 1500 less. The bill is about 800 a month now but they always charge 1100 just for fun.

Plumbers, electricians, carpenters seem to think its usual to come on the wrong day. I book tradies all day at work and I always book a back up as they often dont turn up.

Drs receptionists think they are surgeons. Today some snotty cow refused to let me make an appointment with a paeditrician for my daughter with cerebral palsy because he doesnt take on children with developmental disorders like autism - excuse me - I paid him 3k for the diagnosis and I would have thought it was his decision whether I should make an appointment to get written evidence. And since when has CP been like bloody autism. I was very coldly told that she does not have CP anyway - she has left hemiplegia according to her records - I felt like saying "hey bitch - that is CP and how many years exactly did you do at med school". I settled instead though for "if you could do me a favour - pass this message onto Dr David Moore - and ask him to make a decision and get back to me"

I have to be really assertive to get what I want (not as assertive as Em today though - who is the most sweetest assertive woman ever- so funny - I quote "oh, that seems really strange, I am a bit confused, look I tell you what why dont I just talk to the person you report to, it will save you and I having to repeat ourselves and it seems a little unfair of you to have to explain all this to me because I dont understand it - dont worry I dont mind holding while you get them" Go Em - beats my "Look to save time can you get your manager please". Also I dislike rudeness and many people seem incapable of realising that you dont actually want to argue - you just want them to do their job

/* end rant */

oh - Ergon were fabulous to me yesterday though and sent 3 safety advisors out within an hour and saved us heaps - I am now in love with Ergon
You sound very unlucky...thanks for taking all the hits for the rest of us
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

mash2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Customer Service in Australia ?

Vinniennef sorry to hear your experience you should report this Doctor's to the General Medical Council or which every professional body they belong to stating your concern and I am sure they will take appropriate action.#

I am sure they will remind him of his duties and obligations.

Demand your money back

good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:21 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mash2000
Vinniennef sorry to hear your experience you should report this Doctor's to the General Medical Council or which every professional body they belong to stating your concern and I am sure they will take appropriate action.#

I am sure they will remind him of his duties and obligations.

Demand your money back

good luck

I am in a better mood today For the record, I think Dr Moore is a fantastic paeditrician its just the receptionist. I am going to write a letter to him just to express my concern but hey - the sky is blue, the giant budgies have arrived on my veranda for breakfast and with a new day brings new hope Customer service is the least of my worries - gives me something to moan about....

Thanks for the supportive comments
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Yep, you're not wrong there
Hey I say the customer service is bad and I can guarantee that you wont find anyone who is more polite or friendly. Always.

Its actually my pet hate - people being rude. It doesnt matter how bad people are, or how aggravating I never ever raise my voice, get shirty or arrogant. I think life is hard enough without making someone elses life any harder.

They are just people - but seriously - In my opinion, the service is not great. I think its regional though - I lived in Sydney for 4 years and i thought it was great, no complaints.

V
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
So are you suggesting that it is somehow our fault that a supplier can not give us a date for the delivery of our wardrobes three months after they said they would be delivered
Didn't suggest that. Didn't even suggest that customer service was perfect every time. Didn't suggest it was better or worse than the UK.

Does that cover all the suggestions I didn't imply?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Dec 3rd 2009 at 7:53 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly all the customer service I have experienced has been horrendous. It is the bane of my life. I get "how are you today" gang banged as soon as I walk in a shop then when I need any sort of real assistance I get zero. I have spent all week waiting for a dingo man to level my lawn. he calls every single day and never turns up.

It is perfectly normal for me to spend 2_ hours on the phone to telstra about my incorrect bill which has been corrected this year already to 1500 less. The bill is about 800 a month now but they always charge 1100 just for fun.

Plumbers, electricians, carpenters seem to think its usual to come on the wrong day. I book tradies all day at work and I always book a back up as they often dont turn up.

Drs receptionists think they are surgeons. Today some snotty cow refused to let me make an appointment with a paeditrician for my daughter with cerebral palsy because he doesnt take on children with developmental disorders like autism - excuse me - I paid him 3k for the diagnosis and I would have thought it was his decision whether I should make an appointment to get written evidence. And since when has CP been like bloody autism. I was very coldly told that she does not have CP anyway - she has left hemiplegia according to her records - I felt like saying "hey bitch - that is CP and how many years exactly did you do at med school". I settled instead though for "if you could do me a favour - pass this message onto Dr David Moore - and ask him to make a decision and get back to me"

I have to be really assertive to get what I want (not as assertive as Em today though - who is the most sweetest assertive woman ever- so funny - I quote "oh, that seems really strange, I am a bit confused, look I tell you what why dont I just talk to the person you report to, it will save you and I having to repeat ourselves and it seems a little unfair of you to have to explain all this to me because I dont understand it - dont worry I dont mind holding while you get them" Go Em - beats my "Look to save time can you get your manager please". Also I dislike rudeness and many people seem incapable of realising that you dont actually want to argue - you just want them to do their job

/* end rant */

oh - Ergon were fabulous to me yesterday though and sent 3 safety advisors out within an hour and saved us heaps - I am now in love with Ergon
Vivienne, try the Health Quality Complaints Commission for the type of problems you are experiencing: http://www.hqcc.qld.gov.au/home/default.aspx

From what I understand they act on complaints pretty quickly.

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:51 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I say the customer service is bad and I can guarantee that you wont find anyone who is more polite or friendly. Always.

Its actually my pet hate - people being rude. It doesnt matter how bad people are, or how aggravating I never ever raise my voice, get shirty or arrogant. I think life is hard enough without making someone elses life any harder.

They are just people - but seriously - In my opinion, the service is not great. I think its regional though - I lived in Sydney for 4 years and i thought it was great, no complaints.

V
Fair enough, I wasn't trying to imply that you specifically were being rude. Was just agreeing with Mr Grumpy's generalised statement - people who are impolite generally attract the worst service.

You have the right attitude and spirit though so hopefully things will work out
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

I think its regional though - I lived in Sydney for 4 years and i thought it was great, no complaints.
V
I reckon it must be regional, or vary on different locations or different people, or what side of bed they got out of that day.

I lived in Sydney for 10 years, and had loads of complaints at that time, but have been very lucky up here.

Old Dec 4th 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

woodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nice

I spend a good deal of time in the UK and Oz so I think I have some knowledge on this subject.

In general I have to say that customer service in OZ is appalling. You may be greeted by 'How are you today' but that is as far as it goes. Responses to questions vary from a shrug of th shoulders to 'Don't know'.

I was in a fruit & veg shop in Erina yesterday and the whole of my transaction was conducted in silence by the miserable looking teenager behind the checkout. Just a thankyou would have been something but no, not a jot of recognition that I had just contributed towards his wages for the week.
When are business owners in Australia going to wake up to the fact that if you look after customers they will come back.

Having said all this, I have had pleasant experiences, usually in the outback where any customers are like hens teeth and truly valued.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 8:38 am
ABCDiamond

I spend a good deal of time in shops, and it doesn't seem anything like as bad as some people paint it.

Bought a couple of GPS recently, and had great service getting the right info, which actually turned out to be correct However, my wife hasn't got home yet, so I hope the GPS is still working

No problem with returns either, some people seem to get loads of bad luck others seem to get loads of good luck.

Maybe I am also relating to my time owning shops, and remembering what it can be like Having been on the other side, maybe I just know exactly how to deal with shops etc.

Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

mash2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Customer Service in Australia ?

I bought an external USB (120GB) from the Dick Smith' s at the V8 super car races at Sydney Olympic park.

Went home connected the USB, and the Damm thing did not work!

Next day take the USB back to the Dick Smith store on George street in Sydney CBD.

I had the most appalling, rude un polite bunch of clowns at Dick smith, who firstly laughed at me when I told the did not work, they would not help me find an alternative replacement in the store and told me the junk that they where getting rid of at the Olympic park were dis continued.

I was then told to go to bank town to pick up the equivalent to which I politely declined and said I did not want to waste any more time with Dick Smith.

I then asked to speak to the manager who was even more unhelpful and had difficulty communicating. So I gave up.......

What should I a have done?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mash2000
I bought an external USB (120GB) from the Dick Smith' s at the V8 super car races at Sydney Olympic park.

Went home connected the USB, and the Damm thing did not work!

Next day take the USB back to the Dick Smith store on George street in Sydney CBD.

I had the most appalling, rude un polite bunch of clowns at Dick smith, who firstly laughed at me when I told the did not work, they would not help me find an alternative replacement in the store and told me the junk that they where getting rid of at the Olympic park were dis continued.

I was then told to go to bank town to pick up the equivalent to which I politely declined and said I did not want to waste any more time with Dick Smith.

I then asked to speak to the manager who was even more unhelpful and had difficulty communicating. So I gave up.......

What should I a have done?
Not bought anything other than a baseball cap from a car race.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:41 am

OMG _ TELSTRA!

I am not going to tell you about my new premises and the lovely new lines I ordered. And how they have cut off the 3 lines to my existing office. And dropped the ADSL. Then cut off my new numbers by mistake. Then dropped the ADSL there (10 days to come back). then reallocated the numbers of my original office immediately so that all my letterheads are f**ked. Or how I have spent 5 hours so far this week on the phone and Emelems is having a nervous breakdown as she thinks I am on the edge of a cliff.

They are pathetic, pathetic excuse for a company - incompetent doesnt even begin to cover it.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:45 am
ABCDiamond

OMG _ TELSTRA!
You spelt it wrong, they are commonly known as Helstra.

Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I find much of the time people who say customer service is bad are bad themselves. The same kind of people who claim others are rude, but are the rudest pricks themselves.
There MAY be SOME mileage here...for SOME situations....

It's like people who claim to miss English humour, say Australians have no sense of humour but are only capable of aggressive sarcasm.(I've observed these expats from a safe distance). You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemies..I have observed many people make a rod for their own back - and start off on the wrong foot. Sometimes common courtesy (and a bit of charm) gets you across a line many a time.

Have to admit, on a few occasions, I have been very rude to people from behind a phone over the last 10 years and yes, it made me feel better. But I felt sorry for the people on the phone and I wasn't very proud of myself. If they were with me in person I would fully expect my cup of tea to be positively rimmed and to taste peculiar.

I called Telstra last week for the first time in 6 years. I apologised so profusely and spun a yarn - all made up, of course. They cancelled all my overdue fees 'just this once'. They didn't check as I'm sure I used that lifeline some years ago. Good service - yes - and I said so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.