Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Curriculum Vitae (CV lol) Tips?!

Curriculum Vitae (CV lol) Tips?!

Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:21 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curriculum Vitae (CV lol) Tips?!

Any CV tips from anyone would be gladly received!

1. Length - How long is too long? I won't waffle, but I have a lot of experience in my current job and lots of relevant in-service training etc.

2. Include all jobs? - I have 9 years Teaching experience, but have other experience such as in retail and other work related to working with children. Is it ok to include all work I've done even from when I started working back when i was 15? (I'm 31 now)

3. Formatting - is it true that the use of text boxes is generally not a good idea in case the recipient (if you're emailing it) hasn't the same version of word or something, and it then doesn't look right when it's opened!?

And to conclude...

...I am attending a seminar in Belfast next weekend which Australian Government Officials are supposedly attending, as well as other people, is it worth bringing along a few hard copies of my CV with me!?

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS...dull dull dull...but as I said, any feedback would be great!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Curriculum Vitae (CV lol) Tips?!

1. Shorter is better. Anything over 4 sides of A4 is too long. Don't cram in the text either; using a size 8 type-font is painful for the reader.
2. Tailor your CV according to the job you are going for; emphasise the bits where you have relevant skills or actually done the job.
3. I never had a problem with different versions of word but there's nothing wrong with decently-formatted paragraphs.
4. I'd take a few CVs with me though I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to be bowled over (or indeed, to read them in detail).
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've always tried to keep my CV to two pages (although usually spills into thee).

Tailor a CV to a specific job. You are trying to show a potential employer why you would be great for the job on offer from the skills that you have picked up in previous work - not just a list of what you have done before. For instance if you are applying for a teaching job you want to point out the skills that would be useful for that job - and these skills may be different than those if you were applying for a job in retail. Have to say it's easier if you are applying in response to an advert as you know what they are looking for.

I write more about the latest jobs I have done - and less about stuff I did ages ago. I had a part time job at Safeways for 2 years while at college - I had that down on my CV for a while after I had graduated from uni because while an engineering company wouldnt really care about the skills I had learnt as a trolley shover - I was hoping that staying in that job for 2 years would demonstrate that I am reliable. I removed the safeways thing a while back once I had enough more recent things on the CV.

I don't know about text boxes I've always used tables. You could also think about saving the CV as a pdf file and then emailing that out.

Try to make sure that that any gaps (in terms of dates) in your CV are explicable, you may be asked if there are any gaps. I knew a guy who had a year gap in his CV after he had finished university - he said that he sat around at home for a year as he wasn't sure what to do with himself. And no, he didn't get the job! He should have said that he had gone backpacking in South America or something!

Yes take some CVs and business cards to the seminar because you never know. It's better having a CV and business card to take somewhere and not having to give them out as opposed to not having CV and being asked for one. Make sure that your CVs are kept in a folder or something to stop them becoming tatty during travel.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

1. For length I would try to keep it to 2 pages if you can. You don't need to go into a lot of detail. You can always have an extra sheet detailing each course you have taught and the description for it.

2. Definitely do not include all the jobs you have ever had. If you area applying for a teaching job that is all they are really interested in. They are not going to care if you worked at a fish and chip shop 10 years ago. So keep it relevant. You could include your experiences with small children as long as it's closely related to teaching. If it was just babysitting I would forget it. If it required a greater degree of responsiblity or teaching then you could include it. It also depends on what level you are hoping to teach.

3. Keep the formatting simple. Leave the text boxes out but put in bullets as needed.

If you are attending a seminar it wouldn't hurt to have a few copies. A few sheets of paper isn't much to cary around, better to have them if it comes up then not have them at all.

Now, on a more personal note..... I'm also a teacher, age 30 so am sort of in the same situation as you. I don't have that many years experience because I taught for a few years and then had the kids.

My resume looks something like this:

A few lines stating what type of job I'm looking for and 5 areas that I have experience in (bullet form).

Details of my Education, degree (major, minor) and where I am registered to teach.

Teaching Experience, listed by workplace:

Workplace A
Role 1 (Date started - Date finished)
- 4 to 5 points on what courses were taught and what my responsibilites were.

Role 2
- 4 to 5 points

Workplace B
Role 1
Role 2, etc, etc.

I also have listed my student teaching experience, but that is because I only started teaching in 2002 and I've had a few years off with the kids. Even still, I'd probably make a brief mention even if it's only a line or 2.

Then I've got a section called "Other Experience". I would still only include the jobs that would have skills that would help your teaching. I've included my volunteer position as secretary (has computer skills) and a job as a manager (has people skills, computer, etc). Each one is just a short mention with a couple of points.

At the end there's "Additional Qualifications". This is just a quick list of any computer skills/programs I have and workshops attending. Just one line per item.

In total my resume fits on 2 pages. I'm not teaching yet (by choice) but I've emailed it out to the local school where my daughter goes and they are interested when I'm ready. For relief work though, but that's all I want, and stated as such on my cover letter & resume.

If you want to have a look I can send it to you.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:47 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree about the PDF bit. I always send out mine as a PDF, you never know what programs employers have. If you PDF it then you don't have to worry about formatting as it will always come out the same on the other end.

I have Office 2007 and I just take my word document and save it as a PDF, it's that easy. First I had to download the little extension from the office website, but after that it's easy.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I've just arrived in school for another week with my wonderful little darlings so don't have time to read all of your posts in detail, but shall be having a good read of them when I get home tonight!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

John110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!
Documents required for ACS assesment includes your Resume and they say that "Attach a detailed written explanation of your professional information technology experience including positions held, projects undertaken and your contributions to them. " what does it means??? can any body guide me