Reload this Page >

Current Luggage allowances for 1 way to AU

Current Luggage allowances for 1 way to AU

Old Oct 12th 2022, 10:54 am
Just Joined

BleughBleugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Luggage allowances for 1 way to AU

Hi All,
Back in 2006 when I first moved down under for a decade, some airlines offered double luggage allowance for 1 way / emmigratoin tickets (singapore air i think was the one I used)
are any airlines offering similar nowadays?
Have a family of 4 this time to shift, and i'm not convinced a standard 20KG x 4 will be enough :-P

Old Oct 12th 2022, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Current Luggage allowances for 1 way to AU

Just to help, have googled it a bit,
long process now to decide which airport to fly from (i'm in Manchester, there's 4 of us), where to stop over at, and for how long!
Singapore Air – standard is 30KG (value / lite is 25KG) plus cabin 7KG
Qatar allow 35KG per person (one bag can’t be > 32KG)
Cathay Economy Essential allow 2x23Kg per person with extra 23Kg for about £180
(plus 7KG cabin) (but long flight, zurich, hong kong and is £7k for all of us)
Lufthansa Premium economy 2x23Kg plus 8kg
Qantas – 30KG / 40KG for premium economy (raised to 42KG / 52KG for qantas club members / silver frequent fliers)

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...ecked-baggage/

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tml#next-month

https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/free-baggage-rules

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ecked-baggage/

https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-info/baggage.html

https://www.etihad.com/en-gb/fly-etihad/baggage
Old Oct 12th 2022, 6:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BleughBleugh
Hi All,
Back in 2006 when I first moved down under for a decade, some airlines offered double luggage allowance for 1 way / emmigratoin tickets (singapore air i think was the one I used)
Have a family of 4 this time to shift, and i'm not convinced a standard 20KG x 4 will be enough :-P
Prior to covid pretty much the only airline still offering the double allowance was Singapore, and then only with an unvalidated PR visa.
Not seen anything since covid as to whether they are still doing it.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Personal opinion, but having recently flowing Lufthansa from Bangkok-Munich-Heathrow, and then Heathrow-Munich-Singapore I would never fly them again. We were only in standard economy, not premium, and the seats were VERY cramped and the food service was terrible. We used Thai for the outbound leg from Melbourne, and the Singapore on the way back and both were excellent
Old Oct 13th 2022, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you also looked at Heathrow as this will give you more options we use Manchester Airport but always look at other airports for the best deals etc plus I really do not like Manchester Airport lol. Emirates is not a bad flight as it splits the journey very well (that’s for wa though) we last used Singapore and had a stop over not bad as I prefer either Malay, Singapore or Cathy for airlines the staff are very friendly.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Have you also looked at Heathrow as this will give you more options we use Manchester Airport but always look at other airports for the best deals etc plus I really do not like Manchester Airport lol. Emirates is not a bad flight as it splits the journey very well (that’s for wa though) we last used Singapore and had a stop over not bad as I prefer either Malay, Singapore or Cathy for airlines the staff are very friendly.

not really too fussed really RE airports,
so we’re looking really where the best combo of airline / convenience is
Old Oct 20th 2022, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Send yourself a Move Cube ahead of time perhaps then you should be good to leave with whatever you have in your backpack.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Send yourself a Move Cube ahead of time perhaps then you should be good to leave with whatever you have in your backpack.
Not the best of advice really -
we're a family of 4, moving into a large house....
we'll NEED 'stuff' immediatley!

obs we'll buy 'stuff' there - but that first week's gonna be painful with no vehicle, no clothing, etc etc ;-)
and, for a similar price to a movecube - we can get a 1/4 share of a 40ft cointainer - that'll still take 3-4 months to arrive anyway!
Old Oct 20th 2022, 4:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

obs we'll buy 'stuff' there - but that first week's gonna be painful with no vehicle, no clothing, etc etc ;-)
and, for a similar price to a movecube - we can get a 1/4 share of a 40ft cointainer - that'll still take 3-4 months to arrive anyway!
TBH you are looking at Singapore & I’m not sure they still do it.
maybe look at someone like Excess Baggage Co to airfreight the rest.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I have recently had major issues with Singapore airlines over trying to change a return date on a business class air ticket. They say a change of date is (complimentary ) It definitely is not! They want £3,100 extra for me to change the flight from the 16th to any earlier date. They are completely awful as I now know and I will never use them again. Business class allows 40kg I think economy 30kg If you really want information look at trip advisor and trust pilot for reviews. I wish I had! There are many tales over the service and how it has changed.

If I were in your shoes I would send tea chests via seven seas or another as it is far far cheaper plus you can fill the chests with other goodies!
Old Oct 30th 2022, 5:26 pm
Home and Happy

I've spent time this week looking at getting quote going the other way - Aus to UK, and the findings were quite surprising. Qantas, who I'm flying with, over 30kg in Economy as standard between Aus and Europe. I do get a bit extra through FF membership etc, but the 30kg is standard, and is the same for children. I do however want to take an extra suitcase, so I looked at unaccompanied baggage, and at air freight by several removal companies.
The option which has come up cheapest surprised me - just book an extra bag as additional luggage on my own flight. There wasn't much in it, maybe $300-400 between them all, but some of the companies complicated things by saying I would need to collect the case myself from whichever airport they ship it into, and sort the import clearance out (almost impossible by public transport), one even insists on my shrink wrapping it before they will collect it (hmmm funny I don't have a shrink wrap machine in my kitchen
I shall just buy an extra bag in advance and take it on the flight.

May not work for you, depends how much you want to take I guess, but worth investigating.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-baggage.html