Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CSA payments from Oz

CSA payments from Oz

Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

mazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nice
Default CSA payments from Oz

Hi, this might be a bits of a weird one.
We pay 15% of my fella's salary at the moment to the CSA to support his child from a previous relationship. I'm wondering how it will work when we move to Oz. As we'll be earning in $ how do we move the money back? do we transfer every month? is this the best way to do it?
Does anyone have any experience of this? Pm me if preferred as it's a sensitive subject
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: CSA payments from Oz

Originally Posted by mazza
We pay 15% of my fella's salary at the moment to the CSA to support his child from a previous relationship. I'm wondering how it will work when we move to Oz. As we'll be earning in $ how do we move the money back? do we transfer every month? is this the best way to do it?
Does anyone have any experience of this? Pm me if preferred as it's a sensitive subject

Someone I know has asked me to ask the same question. Any answers would be great.....
daveandkath
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:16 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to Oz on a PR visa, then there will no longer be a legal obligation to pay child support under the CSA. The reason is that *both* parents and the child must be habitually resident in the UK for you to be legally liable for child support (there are some exception to this, but they don't apply if you're in Oz under a PR visa).

Therefore, once you move to Oz, the payments to the CSA will stop.

That's the legal situation. The moral situation about child support is of course another issue.

If you intend to continue to make maintenance payments for the child, it will be entirely up to you how you set up the arrangement. You can transfer it monthly from your Oz bank account using, for example, www.tranzfers.com

Gina
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:42 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If you are moving to Oz on a PR visa, then there will no longer be a legal obligation to pay child support under the CSA. The reason is that *both* parents and the child must be habitually resident in the UK for you to be legally liable for child support (there are some exception to this, but they don't apply if you're in Oz under a PR visa).

Therefore, once you move to Oz, the payments to the CSA will stop.

That's the legal situation. The moral situation about child support is of course another issue.

If you intend to continue to make maintenance payments for the child, it will be entirely up to you how you set up the arrangement. You can transfer it monthly from your Oz bank account using, for example, www.tranzfers.com

Gina
Absolutely 100% true.
(Some poeple on here seem to disagree)

Andrew

Andrew
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Some govenrments have agreements with Australia so payments can still be taken.

http://www.csa.gov.au/guide/1_6_1.htm

1.6.1: Australia's international maintenance arrangements
Context

Arrangements commenced on 1 July 2000 that increased Australia's ability to give effect to its international obligations in relation to maintenance obligations arising from family relationship, parentage or marriage. The arrangements facilitated a change from court-based processes for overseas maintenance cases to predominantly administrative arrangements and transferred responsibility for most child support matters to the Child Support Agency.
Explanation

Arrangements commenced on 1 July 2000 which modify the operation of the Assessment Act and the Registration and Collection Act for cases where one parent resides abroad in a reciprocating jurisdiction while the other parent resides in Australia.
CSA [edit: the Australia CSA] can:

make and continue a child support assessment where the payer is overseas in a reciprocating jurisdiction
register and enforce an overseas maintenance assessment
register and enforce an overseas maintenance order
register and enforce an overseas 'agency reimbursement liability'
register and enforce an overseas maintenance agreement
register and enforce arrears that have accumulated under an overseas maintenance liability
transmit an application for review/variation of a liability made in an overseas country; and
assist overseas authorities with location and service requests for parents in Australia.

The United Kingdom (including Alderney, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and Sark) is a reciprocating jurisdiction.

I'd double check everything before you stop paying money..
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:02 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
Some govenrments have agreements with Australia so payments can still be taken.

http://www.csa.gov.au/guide/1_6_1.htm

The United Kingdom (including Alderney, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and Sark) is a reciprocating jurisdiction.

I'd double check everything before you stop paying money..
Australian CSA is enforceable in the UK.
UK CSA is not enforceable in Australia (or any country outside of the UK).

That's a fact but as suggested, do check yourself. Simplest way, call the UK CSA help line number.

Andrew
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:09 am
Account Closed

The UK csa also mentions Australia specifically..
http://www.csa.gov.uk/new/contact/abroad.asp#S2
When the non-resident parent lives in Australia

If the non-resident parent lives in Australia and the parent with care lives in the UK then the Australian Child Support Agency may be able to accept an application to assess maintenance.
May be able to apply straight to the Oz CSA for money...

Something to look into.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
The UK csa also mentions Australia specifically..
http://www.csa.gov.uk/new/contact/abroad.asp#S2

May be able to apply straight to the Oz CSA for money...

Something to look into.
God that sounds like it's getting really complicated to get money to the child. Using two CSA's who could cock things up twice :scared:

A private arrangement must be the way to go, as long as it's in writing and confirmed by both sides so there's no come back in future.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:55 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Until we moved to Oz my ex had to pay via CSA. Once we left UK he was under no obligation to pay any money as it is outside the CSA's jurisdiction. I had queried this before leaving UK and was informed of this by one of the very nice CSA employers.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:15 am
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by meelie
Until we moved to Oz my ex had to pay via CSA. Once we left UK he was under no obligation to pay any money as it is outside the CSA's jurisdiction. I had queried this before leaving UK and was informed of this by one of the very nice CSA employers.
Meelie
Me too!
However, if you follow the link provided above: http://www.csa.gov.uk/new/contact/abroad.asp#S2 it looks as if things have changed!

I stand corrected!

Andrew
Old Feb 28th 2006, 3:06 am
Account Closed

An ex of mine in Sweden was trying to go through the Oz csa to get me to make payments to her in Sweden.

She was living with the father of the child in Sweden yet because we were technically married when their kid was born she tried her luck to see if she could get money out of me. It was unsucessful but the Oz CSA would have been more than willing to force me to pay up until I sorted this mess out.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm living the reality, I stopped paying through the U.K C.S.A. when we moved to oz as I wasn't earning any money, however when I found work, I offered my Ex Dragon a figure which she refused, then some time after this the Oz C.S.A. contacted me saying that I had a legal obligation to pay for my 2 kids in UK, so after supplying wage slips and other stuff I now pay through the Oz C.S.A, this I might add after I was informed by the UK C.S.A. that I wouldn't have to pay, hope this makes sense to those who are on a need to know basis
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

mazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nicemazza is just really nice

How did the Oz CSA calculate what you needed to pay? was it based on their calculation or the UK calculation??
How do you take into account the exchange rate fluctuations? or does it not matter? Do you pay to the UK CSA & then then pass it on or do you pay to the Oz CSA & then they sort it out. Just wondering how it works in practise. Did your ex go to court to the the Oz CSA to contact you or did she just contact the Oz CSA directly?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

How did the Oz CSA calculate what you needed to pay? was it based on their calculation or the UK calculation??
How do you take into account the exchange rate fluctuations? or does it not matter? Do you pay to the UK CSA & then then pass it on or do you pay to the Oz CSA & then they sort it out. Just wondering how it works in practise. Did your ex go to court to the the Oz CSA to contact you or did she just contact the Oz CSA directly?
email the Oz csa and ask them how it is done.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:08 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Meelie
Me too!
However, if you follow the link provided above: http://www.csa.gov.uk/new/contact/abroad.asp#S2 it looks as if things have changed!

I stand corrected!

Andrew
Yes it does! I can't be bothered now though as although my daughter is in full time education she is nearly 17 this year and will be finishing school in November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.