Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Wikiposts

Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:43 am
MNM

M4TT.P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Our experience with Crown was poor, lots of items missing when container arrived. Submitted ins claim, partly reimbursed after lots of negotiating. BEWARE!!!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We used john masons & were pretty happy. They were very helpful about us adding a piece of furniture after they had packed & removed to warehouse. A few things got broken but I think this is to be expected really when you move halfway across the world. We also had excellent service from their agent this side.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

We were going to use John Masons as they were recommended to me by my friend that works in shipping, plus they are located about 10 minutes away from our house in Liverpool, but after checking out the prices to replace what we were going to bring I don't really know what to do. There are bits and pieces that I wouldn't want to part with but for the most part, I think that I could live with a house full of new stuff.

They did give us a really reasonable quote and I have a few months to think about it
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Replacing everything is certainly an option & I know people who have done it but it is very expensive to replace everything, especially if you want something half decent.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kamie26
We were going to use John Masons as they were recommended to me by my friend that works in shipping, plus they are located about 10 minutes away from our house in Liverpool, but after checking out the prices to replace what we were going to bring I don't really know what to do. There are bits and pieces that I wouldn't want to part with but for the most part, I think that I could live with a house full of new stuff.

They did give us a really reasonable quote and I have a few months to think about it
When you get here and try to get sorted, do you really want to go out and spend days and days and days buying brand new stuff simply because you thought you'd save money by not bringing your stuff? Seriously, the cost of things here and the rate of exchange, it has to be cheaper to spend a few thousand UK pounds bringing your stuff over and you can't really put a price on the feeling of 'home' when you have your own stuff around and you're possibly wondering what on earth you've done. I guess it depends if you have kids though, I know it helped mine a lot to have their own beds and furniture. It also depends on what state your current stuff is in as well of course. Just my opinion but then I loathe and detest shopping.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Crown have just washed their hands off and refused to acknowledge any liability towards our damaged as well as missing goods. As far as they are concerned, this is now a matter between our Insurance company and us
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:16 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We're going with John Masons in June. The quote was a good bit less than others we received and the chap I've been mailing has been very helpful with advice and information. The only disadvantage was having to collect boxes from the warehouse ourselves as they don't deliver but luckily a friend stepped in and helped us out! The boxes are a generous size compared to others were looked in to and you can get a detailed breakdown of what should go in each catagory of box. Happy so far but then we've not moved yet!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:36 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

we went with john mason they were the cheapest and came and packed only think is which I hadnt realised is that they want paying for aquis fees before it even reaches port and also we had to pay for the container dirt £15 but havent arrived yet over there thats next week so will let you know.

Avril
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
We're going with John Masons in June. The quote was a good bit less than others we received and the chap I've been mailing has been very helpful with advice and information. The only disadvantage was having to collect boxes from the warehouse ourselves as they don't deliver but luckily a friend stepped in and helped us out! The boxes are a generous size compared to others were looked in to and you can get a detailed breakdown of what should go in each catagory of box. Happy so far but then we've not moved yet!
They must have changed something then. The guys brought all the boxes with them on the first day, we had nothing to do with the process apart from making tea and bacon butties.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
In that case be very careful with the wording of your insurance terms and conditions - make sure you tell them before hand that you will be unpacking the goods and checking for damage thereafter.

We noticed a lot of damage to our stuff, Crown was also very shoddy with their paper work - now keeping my fingers crossed and now hope at least the insurance company (Letton Percival) lives up to its reputation
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:21 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
In that case be very careful with the wording of your insurance terms and conditions - make sure you tell them before hand that you will be unpacking the goods and checking for damage thereafter.

We noticed a lot of damage to our stuff, Crown was also very shoddy with their paper work - now keeping my fingers crossed and now hope at least the insurance company (Letton Percival) lives up to its reputation
Thanks for the tip!

Moneypenny - we specifically wanted to do the packing ourselves as we want to get cracking on it now and have the flat all but empty before we go. Hence getting the boxes in advance...