Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Hi

I have had several shipping companies around and I have narrowed it down to either John Mason or Crown Relocations.

Can anybody please advise me of their experience with either of these companies before I make a decision on which one to use.

There is not much in it in terms of cost for a 20 ft container.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:23 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi

I have had several shipping companies around and I have narrowed it down to either John Mason or Crown Relocations.

Can anybody please advise me of their experience with either of these companies before I make a decision on which one to use.

Many thanks

Debbie
Crown - found them excellent and went with them as they don't use an agent in Oz - its Crown that have your stuff from start to finish
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Hi

Many thanks

Debbie
Here's the thread I did on our experience with John Mason, with photos:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474957

Crown didn't want the business, they offered a price 1.5 times everyone else.

BB
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Hi

Many thanks

Debbie

We used Crown Relo last year Southampton to the Gold Coast. They were OK; we had a few items damaged due to the carelessness of the packers the UK end. They wrap layer upon layer of tissue paper around a tupperware container and my treasured dog ornament the least amount of paper and put him at the bottom of the packing box so consequently he broke....not impressed. Also our leather settees with wood surround completely damaged due to not enough protection on the wood arms, so one sheet of tissue paper is suffice? I don't think so.
Also items we had specifically placed together to be packed together they split eg. legs of dining table were in three separate boxes, spent ages having to unpack absolutely everything to find the missing bits (we did not want to unpack every box as we were in a rental) - like it's their little game they play!

All in all the delivery guys at this end were helpful and as previous poster says they are Crown staff not a 3rd party.

One last thing - we found we had to chase the staff at this end as we had heard nothing and this was 2 weeks past our estimated delivery date.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

CROWN
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

We used John Masons in Jan 2009 and some things went missing - can only blame the removal guys not the company. Otherwise happy with their labelling/boxing and price.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We used Crown from the UK to NZ could not fault the service, they where spot on
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

John Mason, they were superb. Crown gave us a stupidly high quote from memory.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I'm using Crown. They did not give the cheapest quote initially but they price matched and a little bit more and worked out cheapest once Aqis fees were considered.

Been impressed with their professional service so far. So fingers crossed for the rest of the experience.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of my furniture was damaged - pretty badly at that. I won't use Crown again
Attached Thumbnails Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?-3-seater-front-right-cracked-medium-.jpg  
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Crown Relocations v John Masons Shipping Companies?

Originally Posted by steen1976
I'm using Crown. They did not give the cheapest quote initially but they price matched and a little bit more and worked out cheapest once Aqis fees were considered.
How will any shipper be able to calculate AQIS fees before the goods reach Australia?

BB
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

All we can say in reply is that we had a fixed price for all in, door to door.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I think crown work it out on a per cubic centimetre price. I believe Aqis charge a certain amount regardless and then per hour after that????

So this must be based on some calculation of time to CC? I suppose is just an estimate but I'm being charged door to door and the part they quoted for Aqis didn't seem unreasonable and I'd not heard of anyone complaining they were overcharged up front.

And I'd prefer to pay it now and get it done and out of the way.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
I think crown work it out on a per cubic centimetre price. I believe Aqis charge a certain amount regardless and then per hour after that????

So this must be based on some calculation of time to CC? I suppose is just an estimate but I'm being charged door to door and the part they quoted for Aqis didn't seem unreasonable and I'd not heard of anyone complaining they were overcharged up front.

And I'd prefer to pay it now and get it done and out of the way.
AQIS usually make a flat charge, plus an individual charge for any tiems treated or destroyed. Hence no shipping company can really estimate what the AQIS charge will be in advance cos they can't possibly know what AQIS will pick out. If the company say you are paying AQIS charges upfront, make very sure that the small print covers all the destruction/treatment fees, not just inspection.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
AQIS usually make a flat charge, plus an individual charge for any tiems treated or destroyed. Hence no shipping company can really estimate what the AQIS charge will be in advance cos they can't possibly know what AQIS will pick out. If the company say you are paying AQIS charges upfront, make very sure that the small print covers all the destruction/treatment fees, not just inspection.
No I believe it's just inspection to be honest Pol. Well I've done it now But it's not a criticism I'd seen levelled at Crown so wasn't really aware of that after my bit of research. I will of course request a copy of the Aqis charges/report and see if there is much of a difference.

Ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.