Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Question RE: Packing Glass Furniture

Shipping Question RE: Packing Glass Furniture

Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Shipping Question RE: Packing Glass Furniture

Hi All,
I have 8 big pieces of that black glass furniture with chrome legs. It came 'Flat packed' so it can be flat packed once again I guess. My options are:

A) Leave it as it is and let the removal company pack them while standing
B) Take them down so they are flat packed and let the company pack them up
C) Take them down and wrap them myself

Options B and C would reduce the space I need in an already part container and in return the cost so I like these two options!

My questions are: Would you let the removal company wrap them? Or do it yourself? Would wrapping them myself make the insurance invalid? Is the material used by the packing company good quality stuff?

I know its too early to be thinking of packing but if I go with option C then I need to call in a favor and get collecting myself some huge 'freebie' pieces of thick cardboard that I know are up for grabs
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shipping Question RE: Packing Glass Furniture

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Would wrapping them myself make the insurance invalid?
Yes.

BB
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping Question RE: Packing Glass Furniture

You might want to check with your chosen removal company. We had a glass topped table that could flat pack. They pulled ours apart and a wooden crate was made for the glass. Don't think it added much to the price and it arrived in one piece
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with B. When you've taken it apart, put the screws and bolts etc in a zip bag and tape that to the glass firmly.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:28 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe

My questions are: Would you let the removal company wrap them? Or do it yourself? Would wrapping them myself make the insurance invalid? Is the material used by the packing company good quality stuff?
I used shippers once, who had an intentional hole in their contract in that regard. The quote was quite competitive and I went with them, without realizing that packaging materials were to be charged extra. Wrapping labour, etc - all included, materials were not, which added several hundred dollars to the eventual bill. Just read what's in your papers to be 100% sure, they know you are on a tight timetable and are prepared to use that against you.