Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:15 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all
Default Re: Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Originally Posted by Katherined0
anyone got an idea about how much it would cost to spray a 2 bed house professionally.....
We had our 4 bed house in Queensland done for $265 by Amalgamated Pest Control, this included inside and out.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:16 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
You can get baits at the supermarket made by Mortein. You want the bait which is a bacteria that the roach takes back to the nest and infests all the others with.
This way you kill off the whole nest and you don't have an issue any more. Get about three packs if you've got a prob and put them everywhere, under the fridge, behind the washer, behind toilet pipes etc. Also, stick them to the wall near the dishwasher for example, and this will get them as they track up the walls.
These baits are much more effective than constantly spraying the visible ones... You need to go to the source.

Also, get the outdoor spray and make sure you do around the windows and drains.

If you don't have any small children or pets then you can use borate, which dehydrates the things and they die. It can work far longer than any sprays and this way you don't risk taking on spray poisons and toxins into your own system either...

Some helpful tips here too:
http://www.ehw.org/Asthma/ASTH_Cockroach_Control.htm

I agree, the baits are way more effective, used the sprays for a while, litres of the stuff, but since using baits we have seen nout.......
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rkh001
No, we haven't had the shouse sprayed. We are just renting it.

I think the idea of spraying Mortein onto cloth and then rubing it around the edges etc. sounds like what I will do. Thanks for that idea.

Jin
hmm if you are renting ..then it may be up to the owners to get it sprayed....??? check your lease...a lot of them will get them sprayed if it is an ongoing problem......also...those surface sprays~ you dont' need to spray onto a cloth etc...you can spray directly onto the surface...like around the cupboards or the stove area ~they love the warmer areas and the food areas i.e kitchens etc.......and the roach stations i mentioned are quite effective.~......cockroaches can sometimes be an ongoing battle in australia..esp in some areas~

interesting to note i have not seen one here in Canada..maybe they don't like the cold so much.? did you have them in the UK/England or where you are from..?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Until a few nights ago when a cricket turned up in our kitchen, I hadnt seen any creepy crawleys in the last year we have been here.
If I were you I would get on to the landlord and threaten to leave if they dont get it sorted !
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:54 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure that it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay for the treatment. Whilst we were renting we had to push our real estate pretty hard to get it done, but they did do it and as far as I'm aware the landlord paid.

We certainly didn't pay the bill.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Funnily enough, today I read a letter in Australian Geographic which said that using 100g normal household Borax, sprinkled around the kitchen, in drawers, cupboards, under the fridge & oven, keeps cockroaches at bay - apparently they hate the stuff. If you do see any, they will be very slow on their feet so easy to kill.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to know if it works....

Trax
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:40 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me the cockroach problem is not as bad in Melbourne!

I don't mind spiders but I HATE cockroaches
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trax
Hi,

Funnily enough, today I read a letter in Australian Geographic which said that using 100g normal household Borax, sprinkled around the kitchen, in drawers, cupboards, under the fridge & oven, keeps cockroaches at bay - apparently they hate the stuff. If you do see any, they will be very slow on their feet so easy to kill.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to know if it works....

Trax
It does work but you have to be careful where you put it due to animals and children.
It's a crystaline substance which gets into and under their shells and dehydrates them. Works very well. It's the same stuff I mentioned above 'Borate'...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
Please tell me the cockroach problem is not as bad in Melbourne!

I don't mind spiders but I HATE cockroaches
a lot of it can depend on what areas you live in..some worse than others..but do not fear..the pest control companies know how to get rid of them....
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

hi, we are renting also. a while back we had a `red back` problem,told agents and owners paid for house to be sprayed,it was great, not a sign of anything since.
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
a lot of it can depend on what areas you live in..some worse than others..but do not fear..the pest control companies know how to get rid of them....
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by keithandsam
hi, we are renting also. a while back we had a `red back` problem,told agents and owners paid for house to be sprayed,it was great, not a sign of anything since.
excellent!!....i have only seen one lot of redbacks in my life in Australia..and that was far north NSW on a rural property...

i have seen a lot on here about creepy crawlies and such...but in all my life there i haven't had much happen..i have seen 2 real live snakes..one came indoors at a nursing home i was working in. it was extremely hot weather that day and we were in a bushy area..another time was camping..over 20 years ago....most snakes i have seen are dead on the road..in rural areas.......i also read on here on another post..about kangaroos being pests!..and being over run with them...well that person must have lived very rural our west somewhere...because yeah you can get them in closer to the cities...but is very rare to be over run with them....

also the funnel web situation..i will say...if you have a pool...then keep an eye out for them in hotter weather....i used to check mine each morning..because they can sit in a little bubble of air on the bottom of the pool for a long time.....we had a little problem with them one summer..but getting all around the pool area sprayed got rid of them..also...dont' be surprised if you come home and find a beautiful blue tongue lizard..floating around the pool......~ we came home to one ..one day and ...it was all bloated and loked disgusting.....got the net out ...scooped it up!...only for it jump up..and take off running across the top of the water!!...LOL..it was hilarious..scared the heck out of us!..the kids were screaming.......after that we found a few more....sunning themselves to get cool!

i would say the cockroach problem is by far the worst pest scenario..i have ever come across in australia..in some areas....getting the house professionaly sprayed....certainly helps....

hope you enjoy your new home and your new country...