Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:57 pm
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice
Default Creepy crawlies in kitchen

How do you get rid of cockies, and then keep them out, of kitchen cupboards? Everytime I open the cupboards, they run around hiding. I have to wash everything before I use it. Fed up of it!

Any suggestions? Do you think internal Mortein will be safe to use?

Jin
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creepy crawlies in kitchen

Originally Posted by rkh001

How do you get rid of cockies, and then keep them out, of kitchen cupboards? Everytime I open the cupboards, they run around hiding. I have to wash everything before I use it. Fed up of it!

Jin

Yep, either use the mortein, or get someone in to spray to your house.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello!..
have you had it professionaly sprayed..???? i would suggest to do so if you haven't....and then get it done once a year...also...keep a surface spray and those roach stations! you can buy at your local supermarket to keep them at bay!

good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We've never had a problem with the biggies but for the first year we were in this house we had loads of the little german cockies. Constant cleaning and blocking any holes made for pipes etc has cleared them and we've not seen any for nearly a year. I also sprayed mortein down the plug holes each night. That helped. I blame the nutty nora who lived here before - the place was horrendous when we bought it.

The bug spray guy said once the best way too keep them out of the cupboards was not to spray the whole cupboard but to spray a cloth and wipe that around the edges and frames. That way they won't cross into the cupboard.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:01 am
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hello!..
have you had it professionaly sprayed..???? i would suggest to do so if you haven't....and then get it done once a year...also...keep a surface spray and those roach stations! you can buy at your local supermarket to keep them at bay!

good luck!

No, we haven't had the shouse sprayed. We are just renting it.

I think the idea of spraying Mortein onto cloth and then rubing it around the edges etc. sounds like what I will do. Thanks for that idea.

Jin
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Jin
We had a big problem when we arrived last year - nesting in the roof, partying in the house at night!!

Once the house was sprayed by professionals, most killed, some fled and those that choose to visit at night are found on there backs around the outside of the house in the morning!

Also other nasties are kept at bay!!

Good luck

Nikki
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:18 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the idea of spraying Mortein onto cloth and then rubing it around the edges etc. sounds like what I will do. Thanks for that idea.

Jin

You can get baits at the supermarket made by Mortein. You want the bait which is a bacteria that the roach takes back to the nest and infests all the others with.
This way you kill off the whole nest and you don't have an issue any more. Get about three packs if you've got a prob and put them everywhere, under the fridge, behind the washer, behind toilet pipes etc. Also, stick them to the wall near the dishwasher for example, and this will get them as they track up the walls.
These baits are much more effective than constantly spraying the visible ones... You need to go to the source.

Also, get the outdoor spray and make sure you do around the windows and drains.

If you don't have any small children or pets then you can use borate, which dehydrates the things and they die. It can work far longer than any sprays and this way you don't risk taking on spray poisons and toxins into your own system either...

Some helpful tips here too:
http://www.ehw.org/Asthma/ASTH_Cockroach_Control.htm
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Jin
anyone got an idea about how much it would cost to spray a 2 bed house professionally.....
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:48 am
Account Closed

How do you get rid of cockies...?

By the way, we are talking about roaches and not cockatoos, aren't we?

Cockatoos are a WHOLE other story!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't they be in the pool?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Shouldn't they be in the pool?
Roaches or cockatoos?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

cockatoos can't swim can they ?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Do they still have the cockroach traps there? They have sticky pads, the cockroaches are attracted to the smell of them, they climb in, get stuck and then you chuck them in the bin. They can't run about if they're stuck to a trap!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Jin
If you're renting and have a bad cockroach problem, let the Real Estate Agent know and they should organise a professional spray for you (landlord is liable). I don't mean the odd large cockroach - which tend to come in from outside anyway - but habitual sighting of small cockroaches in your cupboards, usually indicate German cockroaches which are difficult to get rid of by yourself.

We have an investment apartment which is above a restaurant and spraying for cockroaches is something we pay for regularly.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:57 pm
JinViv

Thanks everyone.

I just don't like ANY creepy crawlies and I am not looking forward to our first summer here. After that we might just get use to it!

Jin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.