Cheapest shipment of computer

Cheapest shipment of computer

Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:40 am
AJG
Just Joined

AJG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest shipment of computer

Hi all.
The only thing i am taking except the usual clothes and myself is my desktop PC. Not the monitor etc, just basically the PC itself. I dont care how long it takes withing reason, ie 1-2 months is fine, but i want a cheap reliable service that i can ask my parents to use once i am gone and set up on Oz land Selling is not an option, this PC is not off the shelf.
Also do i have to declare it? Its worth maybe a grand or so, so i am presuming i probably will
Thanks for any help you can give, Adam
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:05 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cheapest shipment of computer

Originally Posted by AJG
Hi all.
The only thing i am taking except the usual clothes and myself is my desktop PC. Not the monitor etc, just basically the PC itself. I dont care how long it takes withing reason, ie 1-2 months is fine, but i want a cheap reliable service that i can ask my parents to use once i am gone and set up on Oz land Selling is not an option, this PC is not off the shelf.
Also do i have to declare it? Its worth maybe a grand or so, so i am presuming i probably will
Thanks for any help you can give, Adam
there are some shippers who'll do it for you, someone like excess baggage i reckon
regarding declaring it, i'm not sure what you are worried about.. it's not a brand new piece of kit that you're bringing in to sell is it... is it?

personally as much as i'm attached to my case i'd consider ripping all the bits out and buying something shiney and new on arrival
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:41 am
AJG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedge
there are some shippers who'll do it for you, someone like excess baggage i reckon
regarding declaring it, i'm not sure what you are worried about.. it's not a brand new piece of kit that you're bringing in to sell is it... is it?

personally as much as i'm attached to my case i'd consider ripping all the bits out and buying something shiney and new on arrival

Ripping it apart and starting again is not an option. It is almost the best spec available, bar a second 8800gtx card or the latest quad cores that have just came out. My case cost 300 quid in spraying alone and every other component is hard to remove thanks to the 12 temp probes around the case and components. Took me 3 weeks to tidy the cables alone The whole water system will have to be stripped, but that can still be tansported in the confines of the case. It is far from ordinary
DHL quote about 100, and parcelforce charge 130 so if thats what i have to do then fine. Just thought there must be another way.
I had presumed that bacause it is coming into the country i would have to pay duty. I do if i personally import my car, whats the difference importing my PC??
Thanks, Adam
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJG
Ripping it apart and starting again is not an option. It is almost the best spec available, bar a second 8800gtx card or the latest quad cores that have just came out. My case cost 300 quid in spraying alone and every other component is hard to remove thanks to the 12 temp probes around the case and components. Took me 3 weeks to tidy the cables alone The whole water system will have to be stripped, but that can still be tansported in the confines of the case. It is far from ordinary
DHL quote about 100, and parcelforce charge 130 so if thats what i have to do then fine. Just thought there must be another way.
I had presumed that bacause it is coming into the country i would have to pay duty. I do if i personally import my car, whats the difference importing my PC??
Thanks, Adam
Unless its under twelve months old you don't need to declare it.
Phone round some of the shippers and find one that will send it in a crate, mine came by airfreight in its own crate, well-padded inside and marked with all the right way up stuff. Doesn't add much to the size, which what affects most of the cost, but does add to the protection for the machine.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

I have a pretty high spec computer aswell but I am seeing it as a perfect excuse to sell & buy an even newer one once I get to Aus.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:11 pm
AJG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by treefingers
I have a pretty high spec computer aswell but I am seeing it as a perfect excuse to sell & buy an even newer one once I get to Aus.

HEHE, i am still upgrading with only 8 weeks left in the UK! Unfortunately there are some things i could not buy again and the time and effort myself and my friends have put into this rig i could not part from it. 150 quid is a price i am willing to pay, just wanted some other ideas.

Who do people use when the weight creeps up to say 30-40kg as i could add the PC to another box of stuff i suppose.