Credit Cards

Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LondonNurse
What do you ask for if you want cashback then?
'cashout'!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch for the fees if you use you EFTPOS like a debit card. Each use is counted towards your transction limit. We used to withdraw cash 1 or 2 times a week to avoid building up to many transactions and the government wonders why there is a cash economy.

Each bank is different but something to bear in mind. Now it all goes on Visa credit card.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 3:00 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I have heard mention of a 100 point check before but never got round to asking what it meant!!
Sue,

http://australianz.topcities.com/100point.htm

Peter
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ptlabs
Sue,

Peter
When I landed in Oz, one of the first stops was the Migrant Banking Centre of the Comm Bank to collect my EFTPOS card (I'd organised my Comm Bank account whilst in the UK). The Migrant Banking Consultant told us if we wanted credit cards to apply for them there and then with her and it didn't matter that we didn't meet the 100 point check (cos we'd only been in the country for 24hrs and had no address in Oz, no jobs etc). So we got them there and then. Obviously we didn't shop around for the best deals, but it was useful to have an Oz credit card straight away.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:15 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ptlabs
Sue,

Peter

thanks for that Peter.
Just out of interest, why arent they interested in your credit history?
Sue
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:09 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
We are planning on using our UK credit cards over there until we get established.
You can access your account online if you have a Barclaycard and you can see what your balance is and also pay online. Just remember to check when the payment is due to avoid interest charges!

Internet banking is a great invention, paying your bills from 10 000 miles away will be wierd.
Works well for me!

You can download the statement the day the monthly account closes. Mine are around the 24th - 27th of each month. I set up the payment from my account for the 10th of the next month which is easy to remember, with enough time to change it if necessary and gives enough time before the payment date to re-do it if the bank screws up! Actually, it's usually ME that does that - I once paid the two CC accounts each to the wrong one.....

Don't forget that foreign transactions attract a 2 3/4% extra charge on top of the exchange rate "loss" with almost all cards. Nationwide is one of I think only two cards that DON'T levy this extra. And it does add up, especially when you are starting off and buying all your furniture and things for thousands of dollars.

Worth getting a N/W card in advance just for that!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AussieinLondon
There is, of course, nothing to stop you using your UK credit card until it expires. So long as the account is open and you can pay it off (eg. over the internet) you can even update your credit card and never have an Australian one if you really want.
Yes, but the exchange rate seems to vary from purchase to purchase - your never sure of exactly how much has been charged til you see the bill on the internet.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I just contacted Barclaycard and asked them about using my card in Oz. They write down that you are out there and allow you 3 months use, then you need to inform them that you are still going to be out there. This prevents them stopping your card.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Credit Cards

HSBC EFTPOS does not work in the majority of fuel stations. I asked the bank about this and although EFTPOS is supposed to be one system....it is actually supported by different networks.

I have not had problems with the cards - except at fuel stations.

I therefore suggest you pay by cash....or use a visa card like I do. Alternatively, another EFTPOS card from another bank should be ok.

Originally posted by cruisey
Hi,

I use a Visa credit card here in the UK to buy just about everything. When we go to Oz we won't have jobs, and hence (I believe) won't be eligible for a credit card.

However, we do have Oz HSBC bank cards with Maestro, Cirrus, giroPost and eftpos logos on the back. Will this be good enough to get by (petrol, food, bills etc.)? Are they widely used and therefore we won't need a credit card??

Thanks !!