Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't read this if you are bored with the trivia of my life!!!

Don't read this if you are bored with the trivia of my life!!!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't read this if you are bored with the trivia of my life!!!

Just to give a bit of encouragement to people out there - it IS possible to get a job within 3 weeks of arriving! Stick at it, apply for everything, sign up with any agency going.

25 applications, 2 interviews, 1 job! Its not wonderful, and its only temporary till Christmas, but its still a job and it pays $$$! All looks good on the resume when you can say you HAVE worked in Oz. I was taken on with them knowing I'm a Pom, and knowing that all my referees (bar one)are in the UK, and knowing that I do not have PR yet. So there is hope....

I start work next week as a Christmas Casual in the Aus Post Sorting Office (well I told you it wasn't glamorous!)! Hooray!!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 21st 2003 at 5:04 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

you managed better than I - it took me nearly 2 months to obtain a spot on a building site.
I did however get a FT job just after.

jeez I wish I was back on that building site at times.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

That's great news Polyana. Bet you'll have some interesting stories to tell, a friend of mine works in the sorting office and he comes out with some real crackers!

At leasing its $$$$ coming in, instead of out!

Diane
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Diane, Tis a relief to have money coming in, instead of out. I hate being dependent, and I hate being out of work - makes me feel useless. I had made up my mind to apply for EVERYTHING till something turned up, and it paid off. Also a possibility of being kept on for January, so who knows.
The woman who did the interview kept saying "Can you lift 16kg mailbags?" - I told her my hand luggage was heavier than that!!!

I imagined it must be a really interesting place to work, I'll see what stories I can pick up - all derogatory towards Poms no doubt, but I don't care!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

A friend of mine has been applying for everything and is starting as a chambermaid in one of the hotels here, like you she wants something to show she has Oz experience and they need cash like everyone else so until something else comes along this will keep her going. I would think she'll have some pretty juicy tit bits to share too!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't read this if you are bored with the trivia of my life!!!

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just to give a bit of encouragement to people out there - it IS possible to get a job within 3 weeks of arriving! Stick at it, apply for everything, sign up with any agency going.

25 applications, 2 interviews, 1 job! Its not wonderful, and its only temporary till Christmas, but its still a job and it pays $$$! All looks good on the resume when you can say you HAVE worked in Oz. I was taken on with them knowing I'm a Pom, and knowing that all my referees (bar one)are in the UK, and knowing that I do not have PR yet. So there is hope....

I start work next week as a Christmas Casual in the Aus Post Sorting Office (well I told you it wasn't glamorous!)! Hooray!!!
Congratulations postwoman Pollyanna

I did the same for a while in the UK. It was a laugh because everyone was there temporarily and there were few office politics around.

Having an Aussie reference does help which you will now have.

BTW never write fragile on a parcel as they were the favourite baskballs.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done Pollyanna. Gives everyone hope. Although for us the light at end of the tunnel is getting further away.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by karawara88
Well done Pollyanna. Gives everyone hope. Although for us the light at end of the tunnel is getting further away.
Perhaps splash yourself with Odeur de Desparation before your next interview?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Pollyanna

It's a foot in the door, and as you say any $'s are better than no dollars. With your attitude you will do well. Soon you will be able to afford all the imported cheese you want.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:53 am
Home and Happy

I'm pleased as much as anything as its shows it can be done, which hopefully will help others think positively. I was fed all sorts of horror stories when I was in the UK, that I wouldn't get a job if I was over 25, didn't stand a chance till I got PR, etc. So don't give up hope anyone - there are jobs out there somewhere!

PS Someone remind me of this post when the contract ends and I'm looking for the next one!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm pleased as much as anything as its shows it can be done, which hopefully will help others think positively. I was fed all sorts of horror stories when I was in the UK, that I wouldn't get a job if I was over 25, didn't stand a chance till I got PR, etc. So don't give up hope anyone - there are jobs out there somewhere!

PS Someone remind me of this post when the contract ends and I'm looking for the next one!
Well done P, glad you are excited about your new job. You sound very positive

I did some voluntary work when I first got to Oz - I mentioned it during my interview for a 'proper' job and I got the feeling at the time that they were quite impressed by that (like I was willing to get out and do anything rather than nothing)

Hope you have fun at AusPost.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I got good news today too - got a new job HOORAY!

Having been totally screwed around by my last employer - a nasty experience with my first time with an Aussie company (although the parent company is British) - I am absolutley rapt at getting this new one. As so many jobs are here, it is casual, but will probably lead to full time in the new year, and they are willing to put me into other areas to upgrade my admin skills etc.

I have a smile today!!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news Polly & Wizzy! Congratulations to you both!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it Poll!!! As Vicky mentioned, that'll keep you in cheese and will be the foot in the door, plus you're bound to make some more new mates!!!
Larissa
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:54 am
Badge

Yeah, Casual chrimbo sorting is always a laugh - my brother does it every year - theres a lot of comradeship, horseplay, and a fun "work hard = we have to get the job down mentality.."

badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.