Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creative help with selling everything...

Creative help with selling everything...

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Creative help with selling everything...

I am hoping that people could share any creative ideas they came up with to sell everything before they moved away....We dont want to have to give everything away...if we can get just a little something....we would be happy

The thought of going to a boot sale just doesnt appeal, but will if I am left with no other options....

In Australia....Garage sales are "the" way to do it....but I havent noticed that anyone really does them here....

We have got 4 weeks to get rid of everything!!

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received....
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: Creative help with selling everything...

Originally posted by Hels
I am hoping that people could share any creative ideas they came up with to sell everything before they moved away....We dont want to have to give everything away...if we can get just a little something....we would be happy

The thought of going to a boot sale just doesnt appeal, but will if I am left with no other options....

In Australia....Garage sales are "the" way to do it....but I havent noticed that anyone really does them here....

We have got 4 weeks to get rid of everything!!

Sorry to be predictable but e-bay is quite good for flogging stuff.

You could also put an advert in the paper for a house clearance and quote a date time when you have an open house. People can come along and see what they want.

We are hoping to persuade the first time buyers who hav bought our house and now renting it back to us, that they really want all of our white goods etc as it will be a good start to their life together having a well equiped house, rather than sitting on bean bags until they can afford sofas etc
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by darkless
Sorry to be predictable but e-bay is quite good for flogging stuff.

You could also put an advert in the paper for a house clearance and quote a date time when you have an open house. People can come along and see what they want.

We are hoping to persuade the first time buyers who hav bought our house and now renting it back to us, that they really want all of our white goods etc as it will be a good start to their life together having a well equiped house, rather than sitting on bean bags until they can afford sofas etc

I have put a few things on E-bay so far....Its not too bad....but got lots of little bits and pieces and I would be on here forever if I was to sell everything on it....

We tried seeing if the people wanting to buy our house wanted anything also...but they didnt....they have their own stuff....

Was thinking about doing a letterbox drop around the local area.....Has anyone tried doing something like that???
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:35 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

We gave an awful lot to local charities. They'll generally collect and are very grateful. You don't get money but you do get a warm glow!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what you're selling but things like crockery, cutlery, bedding, small electricals, etc are ideal for those about to head off to university for the first time. Have you got a local sixth form you can target? (I know term has ended but they'll be heading in to pick up A' level results ina couple of weeks)

good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
We gave an awful lot to local charities. They'll generally collect and are very grateful. You don't get money but you do get a warm glow!

We have things set aside for charity...lots of blankets and all the really heavy coats and fleeces....and some other furniture items....

It is a good idea...and when I moved from Oz to the UK I did the same.....
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hels - if you still have the packers to come - stuff it in the shipping and have the Garage sale here! I would have loved to have bought a heavy duty warm coat for my daughter for the last couple of weeks!

PS ....try putting it (something) out on the lawn for a day.....with a big sign "Going Cheap ask within" and I am sure you might have takers?!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Just to say to those giving clothes, toys, furnishings and stuff to charity...please try to remember hospitals and the social services.
i've given loads of stuff to a friend who's a social worker for her young people that have come out of care and they are really grateful for it - i think it's better than the charity shops as a lot of stuff never even gets put out and some may even get chucked away.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Sandra
Hels - if you still have the packers to come - stuff it in the shipping and have the Garage sale here! I would have loved to have bought a heavy duty warm coat for my daughter for the last couple of weeks!

PS ....try putting it (something) out on the lawn for a day.....with a big sign "Going Cheap ask within" and I am sure you might have takers?!

Oh, dont worry...we are definatly bring some coats as I know that in Bendigo in the Winter can get bloody cold!! But it doesnt last long so really dont need as many as we have here....

We didnt really want to have to transport everything to Oz....We have pretty much 2 households worth of bits and pieces....(My FIL passed away in January so we have our own stuff and his)

I live in London...so if I put anything on the lawn...I dont think they would ask before they take.....
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:05 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be surprised how much fun boot sales are! If you don't have an estate borrow one - it'll take four times the amount of stuff that a car will.

Depending on where the boot sale is, you might find that the real tat/rubbish goes really quickly and the better stuff sticks - or vice versa somewhere else. Get there early - you have the regulars peering in the windows before you put the brake on and making offers while you try to unload!

Most areas have publications like the Friday Ad which print free ads for goods under a certain figure - £50 is common. You can shift a lot that way - just keep updating the ads week by week as you sell things.

The final stage is the garage/lawn sale but make sure the house is locked up and that you have helpers to keep an eye out!

Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:07 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

We've made £250 in the last two days flogging stuff in the Friday Add, our local free paper.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Rog Williams
You'd be surprised how much fun boot sales are! If you don't have an estate borrow one - it'll take four times the amount of stuff that a car will.

Depending on where the boot sale is, you might find that the real tat/rubbish goes really quickly and the better stuff sticks - or vice versa somewhere else. Get there early - you have the regulars peering in the windows before you put the brake on and making offers while you try to unload!

Most areas have publications like the Friday Ad which print free ads for goods under a certain figure - £50 is common. You can shift a lot that way - just keep updating the ads week by week as you sell things.

The final stage is the garage/lawn sale but make sure the house is locked up and that you have helpers to keep an eye out!

Good luck.

Thanks Rog...

I think what we are going to do is try out the Garage sale idea as a first option...we still have about 4 weekends so, if it doesnt work to get rid of most of it...we can do a boot sale the following week...

lucyb...thanks for that...will have a look at the local paper we get as well and see if they have a similar section....

I appreciate everyones suggestions.....

Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Friwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really nice

Thanks Rog...

I think what we are going to do is try out the Garage sale idea as a first option...we still have about 4 weekends so, if it doesnt work to get rid of most of it...we can do a boot sale the following week...

lucyb...thanks for that...will have a look at the local paper we get as well and see if they have a similar section....

Hels - see you live in Greenford. If you do get to do a car boot, there is a very one every second Saturday at the playing fields which are on Ruislip Road East and Greenford Road in Hanwell. We've done two there in the last few months and got rid of loads of stuff. Need to be there by about 7:30-8:00 to get a good spot - costs £8 for the car.....If you drive past, there is a sign up saying the date of the next one.. good luck
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:19 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rog...

We thought we'd sell bigger / more expensive stuff on ebay then have some sort of garage / house sale for the rest, although we will be taking quite a bit with us...

Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We basically used most of what we're not taking as a bargaining tool on the house sale. We got asking price providing we leave various bits of furniture, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.