Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:32 am
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Audie-not sure if you have seen this already but there is a new posting on the other well known forum which relates to submissions re immigration problems over disability...there is apparently a group meeting with a Minister and a deadline of jan 31st for adding cases/info.

Don't know how to pass on an exact link to this thread-perhaps someone else can help?

Fiz
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by fiz
Audie-not sure if you have seen this already but there is a new posting on the other well known forum which relates to submissions re immigration problems over disability...there is apparently a group meeting with a Minister and a deadline of jan 31st for adding cases/info.

Don't know how to pass on an exact link to this thread-perhaps someone else can help?

Fiz
I have sent you a PM, you will not be able to link to PMO on this site.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Julian927
If any of you watch our episode of Relocation, Phil Down Under - Central Coast (mid Feb??) you will see the rest of the furniture that we purchased from the house owner - king sized bed, settees, arm chairs, fridge, washing machine and the BEER Fridge.
Julie and Ian
Looking forward to seeing this.

Charie
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Yes, it would be interesting to see whether items differ in price from state to state. In Perth, for example, I would imagine it's a pretty captive market.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coloneldube
We have a rental! After a few weeks of looking at countless houses that all seemed to meld into one after a while we chose a place in Clarkson. Not a suburb that would be everyone's cup of tea I know but we had to go somewhere affordable and there are some startling rental prices out there. Now it's time for the deep pockets again as we buy the things we didn't bring with us from the UK. Just paid just shy of $2000 for a fridge, freezer and a gas heater which was a bargain in the sales. How glad I am that we opted to bring as much as possible although we have been scouring Gumtree for bits and pieces too. When we are sorted I will make a list of some of the costs we have encountered. We had no idea and I think it will be of interest to some people.

This thread has gone very quiet, I hope the splitting hasn't killed it.

Cathy & Tony
Hi Cathy & Tony,
Well, we are here in Torquay, Victoria for the birth of our grandson at the end of the month on what we hope will be the last return trip. Next trip, one way only! While here we are starting to look around at some prices to compare with UK prices before deciding whether to buy some new stuff to bring with us or buy it here. Even if we are charged GST on arrival some stuff could still be much cheaper bought in the UK and shipped out.
Your information will be very useful to us - we know things like our fridge in the UK might not be 'man enough' for the Aussie climate and we really don't know whether or not to buy a new guest bed or bring our existing one which is so old, its almost embarrassing but like everyone, we need to look at saving the pennies as much as possible to pay for the Visas etc.
Glad to hear you have sorted out a rental, things will probably start to feel more normal in you own home.

Do keep in touch, love reading everyone's experiences, although you are right, this thread has gone very quiet.
Happy New Year to you
Gill & David
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Hi Cathy & Tony,
...... we know things like our fridge in the UK might not be 'man enough' for the Aussie climate and we really don't know whether or not to buy a new guest bed or bring our existing one which is so old......
Gill & David
I have not seen any threads where people have found their UK fridge or freezer could not cope with Oz temperatures so you may want to check your information.

If you take your bed then consider a new UK mattress as Oz sizes are different to the UK and you may not be able to match an Oz mattress to a UK bed frame if that is the style of bed you have.

Bedding is what most people suggest is worth buying in the UK and taking with you.

Enjoy your warm weather , another frosty start here in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
I have not seen any threads where people have found their UK fridge or freezer could not cope with Oz temperatures so you may want to check your information.

Our freezer had worked perfectly for a year - tempting fate!!!

Charlie
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by charlie5

Charlie
Hi
daughter and sil were told that fridges and freezer were not worth taking as the insulation on Oz stuff was much more efficient (thicker I think) to cope with the higher temperatures. So uk stuff will work but more expensive on the old electric bill
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Yes, We are also at the stage of looking at everything in the house and weighing up what's worth taking. For us it's a little more complicated as we have our house on the market at the moment and if we sell before we go (although not looking great at the moment) on a visit in June we will need to put some stuff into storage till we are certain of having the visa.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlie5

Charlie
We don't need one, we just put the food outside.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:03 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Hi
daughter and sil were told that fridges and freezer were not worth taking as the insulation on Oz stuff was much more efficient (thicker I think) to cope with the higher temperatures. So uk stuff will work but more expensive on the old electric bill
with all due respect thats a load of rubbish mate. We brought all our stuff from UK and used it for years until it conked out as did all my family who are here. If you have stuff worth bringing i'd bring it and save yourself as much money as poss as it's not cheap to live here especially since the GFC. It doesn't help that UK pensions get frozen from the day you leave, so every penny counts.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Les Avalook

If you take your bed then consider a new UK mattress as Oz sizes are different to the UK and you may not be able to match an Oz mattress to a UK bed frame if that is the style of bed you have.

Bedding is what most people suggest is worth buying in the UK and taking with you.

Enjoy your warm weather , another frosty start here in the UK.
Thanks for the advise re fridge/freezer - my current one is only about 3 years old, frost free and I will certainly bring it now I have read all this. Hadn't thought about mattress sizes so thanks, Les, great info once again. Will keep that in mind while we are sussing out the sales. Going to the Mitsubishi showroom today to scope out 4 wheel drives, in anticipation only but probably worth a look.

Best of all, we have been left in charge of our gorgeous granddaughter today while Mum and Dad go to hospital for pre-birth checkups. Our daughter had a really bad time when Scarlett was born with colestasis (liver failure) and pre-eclampsia, followed by post caesarean bleeding so she is considered high risk meaning 2 visits a week to hospital at the mo. Nanny and Grandad are enjoying playing with PlayDoh and Dora the Explorer!! Great stuff !!!!

Gill & David
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Thanks for the advise re fridge/freezer - my current one is only about 3 years old, frost free and I will certainly bring it now I have read all this. Hadn't thought about mattress sizes so thanks, Les, great info once again.

Gill & David
G'Day

I think fridges used to be a problem when they were less efficient – had to have a fan blowing over the condenser coils at the back; known as "tropicalizing". The difference is that you may want a bigger one – but in that case the old one can be reserved for ice, wine and beers!!

While you are here in Oz, do check out mattress sizes, and don't assume you need to bring from the UK – we didn't find any problem, though a UK "King" size is an Oz "Queen", while an Oz "King" is a UK "Superking"! And UK standard 4ft6in beds are quite rare. Somewhere like David Jones may well give you a conversion chart – but it may well be cheaper to buy elsewhere! Having said all that, Ikea beds are definitely different sizes, and standard pillow cases in Oz tend to be a tad smaller than in the UK.

Mike
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

marian and ian burgess is an unknown quantity at this point

Re the debate on what to bring or not to bring! We only brought personal stuff having sold all our furniture. Electrical appliances were left in our flat when we sold as an extra "carrot" to our purchaser. We have not found fridges,washing machines, televisions etc any more expensive than the UK and the 2000GBP we saved by not shipping stuff went a long way to covering all our new stuff. Anyway we didn't know if our existing goods would be suitable for our new home. Ikea provided quite a bit of our new stuff ( We aren't too proud!) ; as for bedding, towels etc you can spend as much or as little as you choose. (As in UK of course). We are still living in the same Unit which we found when we arrived in October 2009; it's even better now as my daughter who lives a 5 minute walk away gave birth to a baby boy last October so I love being a "Hands on" grandmother.
So all you worriers, get yourselves over here as soon as possible! I am sure you will love it as much as we do!
Marian and Ian Burgess
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
G'Day

While you are here in Oz, do check out mattress sizes, and don't assume you need to bring from the UK – we didn't find any problem, though a UK "King" size is an Oz "Queen", while an Oz "King" is a UK "Superking"! And UK standard 4ft6in beds are quite rare. Somewhere like David Jones may well give you a conversion chart – but it may well be cheaper to buy elsewhere! Having said all that, Ikea beds are definitely different sizes, and standard pillow cases in Oz tend to be a tad smaller than in the UK.

Mike
It is not so much the width as the length is different which can be a problem in some bed frame styles.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.php

Ikea beds are a completely different problem as they use continental sizes in the UK but use Oz sizes in Oz. We have the 160cm type mattress from the UK so no match in Oz as we have a bed frame style bed.

Would need a London Underground annoucement 'Mind the Gap' if we dropped an Oz mattress in the frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.