Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now can we please get back to the chat?
Of course; rant over.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
Of course; rant over.

Hope the weather improves during your visit to Sydney
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:22 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

rubbish!

Mike
I think you left a few posts without your thoughtful insightful and well reasoned commentary on by the way
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It was all so unneccessary. How many complaints did you get?
There was a time when I used to post in the Nags Head, a forum on ebay UK. There were threads in there that had over a million posts. One day, without warning, ebay just deleted the lot. No attempt was made to break the threads up or save any part of them... they were just gone.

ebay's response to complaints about it basically amounted to "tough shit, if you don't like it, leave".... so we all left.

The forum died and was eventually closed down entirely.

Two sides to that tale...
1) BE at least retained the posts and explained their actions, so give them some credit for that.
2) Never totally piss your clientele off.. they can just walk away and a forum with no people has no future.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Julian927
Well thank you so much for that. I have just telephoned AAMI and they have even acknowledged my insurance record from England and given me full no claims.....the premium I have now been quoted is $831 for a 2 storey house! Guaranteed full rebuild. It doesn't cover accidental damage for example for wine spills, but does cover AD of fittings e.g. wash basin. It does cover flash flooding too.
So in the last 2 days I started with a quote of $2250, then $2000, yesterday $1500 and eventually $1350 - today $831 thanks to you Elaine and British Expats!
Julie
Hi Julie, this is great information for those of us trying to get a bit of an idea how much we are going to have to spend in the first year of life down under - also Cath and Tony for their advice too. Thanks so much, it's really helpful. Bet wishes Gill
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Hi all

I am posting this here and on the visa thread as well. If some of you are confused and having difficulty finding the threads it's useful to subscirbe to them. I already subscribed to the orignal CPV thread which means I get an email in my box with a link to the thread every time someone posts.

I found that now I get an email with a link to both threads, so all I have to do is check my email and can then connect to the thread via the link in the email message. If there are several emails to each thread you can delete all but the latest. As long as you then connect to the threads via the last email, you will continue to receive the emails. Hope this helps.

Last edited by DaveandLinda; Dec 7th 2010 at 9:42 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to your profile page, any threads you're subscribed to show up when anyone posts on it. If you then bookmark the profile page, any time you click on the BE bookmark, your subscribed threads are the first things you see. Personally I found that getting email alerts to a subscribed thread when it's a very busy thread just overwhelms my inbox.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

peewit is an unknown quantity at this point

This new thread arrangement feels like going to to a supermarket to buy apples and pears and finding that although they used to stock both, now you can only get apples. They tell you to go somewhere else for pears.
I would definitely use a different supermarket from then on and that is what I am going to do in this case.
Bye all

Peewit
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by peewit
This new thread arrangement feels like going to to a supermarket to buy apples and pears and finding that although they used to stock both, now you can only get apples. They tell you to go somewhere else for pears.
I would definitely use a different supermarket from then on and that is what I am going to do in this case.
Bye all

Peewit
If I can be permitted to add my twopennyworth to this argument. I can see why the powers that be decided to split the thread, it had become more of a social chit chat medium with the odd nugget of information thrown in. Trouble is, from what I can see, nothing much has changed and nobody seems to be bothering to post much on the other thread. I'm not convinced that many of the folks who could answer pertinent questions will be bothered to either. Shame really.
Cath & Tony
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coloneldube
If I can be permitted to add my twopennyworth to this argument. I can see why the powers that be decided to split the thread, it had become more of a social chit chat medium with the odd nugget of information thrown in. Trouble is, from what I can see, nothing much has changed and nobody seems to be bothering to post much on the other thread. I'm not convinced that many of the folks who could answer pertinent questions will be bothered to either. Shame really.
Cath & Tony
Exactly - a real retrograde step.

Charlie

Sorry but couldn't stop myself commenting!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I already wrote to a mod via pm about this topic but can't help commenting here. Other forums I subscribe to are FAR stricter about what you post ie. if chit chat starts in an info thread, it will be deleted and you told via PM not to do it again. Similarly, if you post a question that has been asked before yours is added to the original thread and you get a rap over the knuckles and told to search more carefully next time. It's a big forum with the same amount of subscribers. Threads are deleted willy nilly if they don't fit or get too chatty in the wrong place.

I don't think the mods here have done anything to complain about really, they've just tried to tidy the huge CPV thread up a bit..........
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I don't think the mods here have done anything to complain about really, they've just tried to tidy the huge CPV thread up a bit..........
+1...can't believe it's STILL being discussed.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itigo
I already wrote to a mod via pm about this topic but can't help commenting here. Other forums I subscribe to are FAR stricter about what you post ie. if chit chat starts in an info thread, it will be deleted and you told via PM not to do it again. Similarly, if you post a question that has been asked before yours is added to the original thread and you get a rap over the knuckles and told to search more carefully next time. It's a big forum with the same amount of subscribers. Threads are deleted willy nilly if they don't fit or get too chatty in the wrong place.

I think it was more a question of how it was done and not a question of what was done.

Given the thread had operated like it had for more than a year the 180 degree turn and some of the patronizing comments afterwards did not help.

I do agree in other forums and internet chat rooms off topic posts are removed but that was not the case until 'big bang' came on the scene.

Perhaps some of the more reasoned explanations that came after the event should have been posted first.

As it operates now seems to work OK even though some of the old camaraderie seems to be missing.

Nice that a few new voices are feeling the need to post and add their wisdom to the thread.

My last comment on the change.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

If we can cope with a change of lifestyle moving to the other side of the world - surely we can cope with a minor change to a great forum that has been tidied up a bit to make finding information easier amongst all the chit-chat!

Things change - deal with it - I'm trying to. Thanks Mods I know you've done it for all the right reasons even if some of us are feeling a bit uncomfortable with the new format.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Hi everyone,

Is this the right place to tell someone that WE HAVE OUR VISA TODAY! WAHOOOOOO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.