Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Courses to make me more employable in Oz

Courses to make me more employable in Oz

Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Courses to make me more employable in Oz

Hi all

I am being made redundant here in the UK and as a consequence have been given loads of paid leave in the run up to my company being shut down in February as there is jst no work to do. At the moment I am being asked to go in one day a week only, in January that'll probably be less.

We're off to Oz in February as soon as my company shuts & I get my redundancy money. Meanwhile I'd like to do something constructive with all this extra time I have on my hands.

What courses would make me more employable in Oz? Here in the UK I've worked in finance for 8 years but willing to do anything in Oz - so if anyone can suggest any recognised/good secretarial or computer courses or ANY type of course that would be well thought of in Oz I would be grateful.

Many thanks
Kelly
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:26 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Courses to make me more employable in Oz

Not sure if it's going to be of use but you might want to take a look at the MODL list to see which occupations are in demand. This might give you a good idea of where to start.

- CDM
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi all

I am being made redundant here in the UK and as a consequence have been given loads of paid leave in the run up to my company being shut down in February as there is jst no work to do. At the moment I am being asked to go in one day a week only, in January that'll probably be less.

We're off to Oz in February as soon as my company shuts & I get my redundancy money. Meanwhile I'd like to do something constructive with all this extra time I have on my hands.

What courses would make me more employable in Oz? Here in the UK I've worked in finance for 8 years but willing to do anything in Oz - so if anyone can suggest any recognised/good secretarial or computer courses or ANY type of course that would be well thought of in Oz I would be grateful.

Many thanks
Kelly
This is very random but we are in a very similar position and my hubby is retraining from carpentry to driving instructor!!! They earn $60+ an hour in NSW and it seems there is a demand
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

In the finance side of things, the main popular Accounting Software that is used here is either MYOB or Quicken.

Experience with those would be beneficial.

Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:05 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Many thanks
Kelly
If you have an undergraduate degree you could do a 1 year post grad degree in Education and teach. That's what I did, I have a Bsc hons in Computing, a post grad in Education, 1 years experience and I walked into a job teaching Maths and IT at a fantastic school. I am well paid and here in WA teachers have just been given a kick ass pay rise. Working in the private sector I get 2.5% above whatever my state school counterparts are on. As well as public holidays, development days and 6 weeks off throughout the year I get the best part of 2 months off for Christmas (5th Dec-end of Jan). It is a great job, and with a finance background you could go into teaching Maths which is very much in demand.

Good luck

Last edited by ACE; Dec 14th 2008 at 1:12 am.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Hi all

Many thanks
Kelly
Def MYOB as it is used all the time here and there is always jobs advertised for them. Think you would be able to do a quick correspondence course before you go too. I use it at work and it is fairly straightforward.
Good Luck
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how long you wish to study. My partner wants to become an accountant and started studying in australia. Before university you have to study at a TAFE, similer to UK colleges. They do a certificate 3, 4, diploma then advanced diploma before taking accounting at a university.

Perhaps you would be intrested in doing something similer?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys thanks a million for the replies.

I like the sound of MYOB especially if it can be done by correspondence.

Ace, loved the suggestion of postgrad teaching qualification as I do have a degree and teaching is something I would like to do in Oz but it takes a year so no point starting it in the UK as I want to be in Oz in Feb. I looked in to doing it in Oz, and am seriously thinking about it as long as my hubbie can get a job to pay the bills. Your job sounds fab, well done!

Am going to look up MYOB - thanks again.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys thanks a million for the replies.

I like the sound of MYOB especially if it can be done by correspondence.

Ace, loved the suggestion of postgrad teaching qualification as I do have a degree and teaching is something I would like to do in Oz but it takes a year so no point starting it in the UK as I want to be in Oz in Feb. I looked in to doing it in Oz, and am seriously thinking about it as long as my hubbie can get a job to pay the bills. Your job sounds fab, well done!

Am going to look up MYOB - thanks again.

http://myob.com/servlet/Satellite?c=...=1111035128872
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

For a free trial of the Australian version of MYOB go to : MYOB Trial

I suggest either the MYOB Accounting or the MYOB Accounting Plus.

You even get 30 days of introductory technical support

Make sure you do get the Australian version.

I would offer my support, but my involvement with MYOB was in the beta testing of version 1, and it may have changed "slightly", now that they are up to version 18

Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What will be your visa status? That will impact costs.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:23 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ACE
If you have an undergraduate degree you could do a 1 year post grad degree in Education and teach. That's what I did, I have a Bsc hons in Computing, a post grad in Education, 1 years experience and I walked into a job teaching Maths and IT at a fantastic school. I am well paid and here in WA teachers have just been given a kick ass pay rise. Working in the private sector I get 2.5% above whatever my state school counterparts are on. As well as public holidays, development days and 6 weeks off throughout the year I get the best part of 2 months off for Christmas (5th Dec-end of Jan). It is a great job, and with a finance background you could go into teaching Maths which is very much in demand.

Good luck
Goodonya ACE & thanks for sharing the info!

Wondering if there are any other 1 year courses open to undergraduate degree holders apart from teaching allowing them to do the same in the OZ job market..........

Anybody know?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
This is very random but we are in a very similar position and my hubby is retraining from carpentry to driving instructor!!! They earn $60+ an hour in NSW and it seems there is a demand
Hmmmm thats something I could be interested in actually. Have you got any info such as training requirements etc?

Thx!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Hi recently working in IT in a small finance company is Sydney and had brief experience of MYOB was told that something like 80% of all small companies in Australia use MYOB. It certainly wasn't the greatest product i'd ever seen but i guess understanding how it works would certainly help you in Australia.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by AndyR
Hmmmm thats something I could be interested in actually. Have you got any info such as training requirements etc?

Thx!
Some info for NSW:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ors/index.html

The bits about passing an extended driver knowledge test on road rules (90 questions)
and pass a Driving Test with a 95% pass mark
would put me off a bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.